2.5L 4Cycl engine problem

Old February 5th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ulas c coskun

Default 2.5L 4Cycl engine problem

Hello All,

I have a 91 Acclaim with 4 Cydlinder 2.5L engine. As i drive half
hour ago, I got oil warning light on. I pulled over and findout the
engine was pouring oil down. I could not locate where the oil was
coming from as it was snowy outside.

It comes from the behind the engine, and i pours down where the oil
plug is. I checked the oil plug and it is there and thight. I cannot
think of anywhere else where it might leak. Can you think what might
be problem.

PS: oil is not dripping but pouring. the pulley side or transmision
side or front side are all looks clean. only behindthe engine it
pours.

Ulas.
Old February 6th 11, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_22_]

oil, like water runs downhill. find where it is pouring off, and look above
it. always look to the highest point and work your way down. also start
front the front and work your way back. driving down the road, the air
flowing in around and under the car will cause the oil to 'blow back' and
drip off something that's not really leaking.

be sure and also check the oil pressure sending unit. they can crack and
squirt oil out the top. also check the oil filter for any issues there. has
a recent oil change been done?

Old February 7th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KirkM

On Feb 5, 12:49*pm, ulas c coskun > wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a 91 Acclaim with 4 Cydlinder 2.5L engine. *As i drive half
> hour ago, I got oil warning light on. I pulled over and findout the
> engine was pouring oil down. I could not locate where the oil was
> coming from as it was snowy outside.
>
> It comes from the behind the engine, and i pours down where the oil
> plug is. I checked the oil plug and it is there and thight. I cannot
> think of anywhere else where it might leak. Can you think what might
> be problem.
>
> PS: oil is not dripping but pouring. the pulley side or transmision
> side or front side are all looks clean. only behindthe engine it
> pours.
>
> Ulas.

If your Acclaim has the original stamped-steel valve cover, this would
be a good place to start checking for the leak. I had a 1990 Dodge
Spirit, and I replaced the valve cover with an aluminum one to solve
the leaking problem. There were many reports on this NG about the leak
problem.

I also had a problem with the front camshaft seal leaking. I had the
seal replaced, and that fixed it.

Finally, the headgaskets are known to fail on these engines too and
may cause leaks such as you describe.

-KM
Old February 7th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer[_2_]

On Feb 7, 10:08*am, KirkM > wrote:
> On Feb 5, 12:49*pm, ulas c coskun > wrote:
>

> > Hello All,

> > I have a 91 Acclaim with 4 Cydlinder 2.5L engine. *As i drive half
> > hour ago, I got oil warning light on. I pulled over and findout the
> > engine was pouring oil down. I could not locate where the oil was
> > coming from as it was snowy outside.

> > It comes from the behind the engine, and i pours down where the oil
> > plug is. I checked the oil plug and it is there and thight. I cannot
> > think of anywhere else where it might leak. Can you think what might
> > be problem.

> > PS: oil is not dripping but pouring. the pulley side or transmision
> > side or front side are all looks clean. only behindthe engine it
> > pours.

> > Ulas.

> If your Acclaim has the original stamped-steel valve cover, this would
> be a good place to start checking for the leak. I had a 1990 Dodge
> Spirit, and I replaced the valve cover with an aluminum one to solve
> the leaking problem. There were many reports on this NG about the leak
> problem.
>
> I also had a problem with the front camshaft seal leaking. I had the
> seal replaced, and that fixed it.
>
> Finally, the headgaskets are known to fail on these engines too and
> may cause leaks such as you describe.
>
> -KM

How much of the above would you do on a 20 year Chrysler product??
Old February 7th 11, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ulas c coskun

On Feb 7, 12:00*pm, "Pete E. Kruzer" > wrote:
> On Feb 7, 10:08*am, KirkM > wrote:
>

> > On Feb 5, 12:49*pm, ulas c coskun > wrote:

> > > Hello All,

> > > I have a 91 Acclaim with 4 Cydlinder 2.5L engine. *As i drive half
> > > hour ago, I got oil warning light on. I pulled over and findout the
> > > engine was pouring oil down. I could not locate where the oil was
> > > coming from as it was snowy outside.

> > > It comes from the behind the engine, and i pours down where the oil
> > > plug is. I checked the oil plug and it is there and thight. I cannot
> > > think of anywhere else where it might leak. Can you think what might
> > > be problem.

> > > PS: oil is not dripping but pouring. the pulley side or transmision
> > > side or front side are all looks clean. only behindthe engine it
> > > pours.

> > > Ulas.

> > If your Acclaim has the original stamped-steel valve cover, this would
> > be a good place to start checking for the leak. I had a 1990 Dodge
> > Spirit, and I replaced the valve cover with an aluminum one to solve
> > the leaking problem. There were many reports on this NG about the leak
> > problem.

> > I also had a problem with the front camshaft seal leaking. I had the
> > seal replaced, and that fixed it.

> > Finally, the headgaskets are known to fail on these engines too and
> > may cause leaks such as you describe.

> > -KM

> How much of the above would you do on a 20 year Chrysler product??- Hide quoted text -

I donto know. Money is tight and I like this car. If it is running,
It rolls. Last big trips I had in thi sold timer is a ny-Boston-
niagara chicago loop chicago-dallas loop, and a chicago- ocean city,
Md. all of them are done within last 6 months.

I put its second engine in 2008 January. I'm proud of it. It is from
SF, CA, and I drive it to Durham, NC, then I took it with me to
Urbana, Il.

Mechanics told me he will tell me what's the problem tommorrow.
Old February 7th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ulas c coskun

There as a big hole in the pan. Something punctured into the pan.

Old February 7th 11, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_22_]

"There as a big hole in the pan. Something punctured into the pan."

well that would explain it then huh? lol Watch what you run over!

Old February 13th 11, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ulas c coskun

On Feb 7, 4:55*pm, "Rob" <nobody > wrote:
> "There as a big hole in the pan. Something punctured into the pan."
>
> well that would explain it then huh? *lol Watch what you run over!
>
> "ulas c coskun" > wrote in ...
> On Feb 7, 2:46 pm, ulas c coskun > wrote:

> > > How much of the above would you do on a 20 year Chrysler product??- Hide
> > > quoted text -

> > I donto know. Money is tight and I like this car. If it is running,
> > It rolls. Last big trips I had in thi sold timer is a ny-Boston-
> > niagara chicago loop chicago-dallas loop, and a chicago- ocean city,
> > Md. all of them are done within last 6 months.

> > I put its second engine in 2008 January. I'm proud of it. It is from
> > SF, CA, and I drive it to Durham, NC, then I took it with me to
> > Urbana, Il.

> > Mechanics told me he will tell me what's the problem tommorrow.- Hide
> > quoted text -

it turned out I did not run over anything actually. it looks like the
hole is done much earlier, years earlier and somebody plugged it with
some kind of soft material like silicon. We found the plug in the oil
pan. I guess when I back out, snow pressed the plug in.

Now I feel like I get too much white smoke. It is very cold but the
other cars donot smoke that much. I will keep an eyes on it.
Old February 14th 11, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_22_]

check your coolant level. then with the radiator cap off, start the engine
and look for bubbles in the coolant. if none, then put the cap on and check
it again at your destination. hopefully your heads and head gaskets are OK.

make sure the smokes actually white and not a really light blue.

Old February 17th 11, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ulas c coskun

Today, it is warmer, I donot get as much smoke. I think it is ok but
still too much white smoke compared to other cars.

V6 engine problem Catman Alfa Romeo 12 November 30th 07 05:11 AM
Engine? Problem-92 3.3 V6 CaravanGuy Chrysler 3 April 23rd 06 10:38 PM
engine problem george taylor VW air cooled 5 September 5th 05 03:58 PM
6 cy engine problem MikeG Jeep 10 May 21st 05 02:46 AM