Recommended Mileage for Timing Belt Replacement?

Old February 24th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Default Recommended Mileage for Timing Belt Replacement?

ACAR > wrote in news:8f91fb3b-9791-4d6a-b709-
:

> On Feb 23, 12:49*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> snip
>>
>> But the cost to fix bent valves can double the cost of the belt job, so
>> there's not a lot of economic sense in trying to extend the belt-change
>> interval.
>>

> unless the car is a rust bucket, not worth the cost of a timing belt
> replacement.

I realized--after I replied--that I should have included that factor.

If you don't care if the car dies, there's no point in spending anything on
it outside of the bare minimum. My old '76 Dodge Coronet was in the "don't
care" category, so I'm quite familiar with that concept.

> not all of us are emotionally attached to our cars

You mean me personally? I'm nuts, I know. But even nuts has its limits;
I'll eventually let the 'Teg go, one of these days.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 24th 10, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Cameo

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> I've never actually seen an engine irretrievably damaged by a
> broken/slipped belt, just a bent valve or two. Or three...
>
> I've seen a surprising number of people get away with belt
> breakage/slippage with no more damage than being stranded at the side
> of
> the road. In my experience, there seems to be about a 50/50 chance of
> valve
> damage when the belt breaks.
>
> But the cost to fix bent valves can double the cost of the belt job,
> so
> there's not a lot of economic sense in trying to extend the
> belt-change
> interval.

Does Honda make any cars with non-interference engines?

Old February 24th 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 02/23/2010 08:34 PM, Cameo wrote:
> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> I've never actually seen an engine irretrievably damaged by a
>> broken/slipped belt, just a bent valve or two. Or three...
>>
>> I've seen a surprising number of people get away with belt
>> breakage/slippage with no more damage than being stranded at the side of
>> the road. In my experience, there seems to be about a 50/50 chance of
>> valve
>> damage when the belt breaks.
>>
>> But the cost to fix bent valves can double the cost of the belt job, so
>> there's not a lot of economic sense in trying to extend the belt-change
>> interval.

> Does Honda make any cars with non-interference engines?

why would you want one? they have lower power density.

besides, idiots get up here and bleat about "interference engines" here
all the time, apparently unable to grasp that fact that any 4-stroke
diesel is interference, but diesels are mysteriously missing from their
list of engines to complain about.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old February 24th 10, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 02/23/10 23:34, Cameo wrote:
> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> I've never actually seen an engine irretrievably damaged by a
>> broken/slipped belt, just a bent valve or two. Or three...
>>
>> I've seen a surprising number of people get away with belt
>> breakage/slippage with no more damage than being stranded at the side of
>> the road. In my experience, there seems to be about a 50/50 chance of
>> valve
>> damage when the belt breaks.
>>
>> But the cost to fix bent valves can double the cost of the belt job, so
>> there's not a lot of economic sense in trying to extend the belt-change
>> interval.

> Does Honda make any cars with non-interference engines?

Ford used to ... in the 1930's (and maybe later), their flat <L> head design

Old February 24th 10, 12:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"Cameo" > wrote in -
september.org:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> I've never actually seen an engine irretrievably damaged by a
>> broken/slipped belt, just a bent valve or two. Or three...
>>
>> I've seen a surprising number of people get away with belt
>> breakage/slippage with no more damage than being stranded at the side
>> of
>> the road. In my experience, there seems to be about a 50/50 chance of
>> valve
>> damage when the belt breaks.
>>
>> But the cost to fix bent valves can double the cost of the belt job,
>> so
>> there's not a lot of economic sense in trying to extend the
>> belt-change
>> interval.

> Does Honda make any cars with non-interference engines?

I don't know. Maybe the much older ones (~1980)...

I always understood that a Honda engine was interference as a matter of
course.

Old February 24th 10, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

"Cameo" > wrote:
> Does Honda make any cars with non-interference engines?

This turns out to be kind of a trivia question. The only non-
interference engine produced with Honda's name on it is the Honda
Passport with V6 (3.2L) engine, produced c. 1997-2002. But Honda
produced this car in a joint venture with Isuzu, which sold the same
vehicle under the name "Isuzu Rodeo."

Tegger reported around a 50% chance of bent valves when a Honda timing
belt breaks. I would say that is fair or that the chances of damage
are even a little less than 50%. The approximation comes from reading
many reports on Honda groups of valves not bending.

I suppose the pistons nudge the valves closed in many cases during the
remaining revolutions, sparing the valves damage. The valve pockets
(a.k.a. "valve reliefs") in the piston heads may help, too.

Old February 24th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dano58

On Feb 23, 10:53*am, dan > wrote:
> On 2/23/2010 7:39 AM, jgarbenzel wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > I have a Honda Accord 2001 with a little over 80,000 miles. Is time
> > due for timing belt replacement?

> > I asked several Honda service centers in the area and each one of them
> > gave me a different answer (and a vague one!).

> > Some say it should be replaced at 70K miles. Some say replace it at
> > 100K miles. Others say 90K miles.

> > Whom to believe? And why?

> > Thanks!

> Doesn't your owners manual say 105,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes
> first? *I found this out with a google search, but you could have looked
> in your owner's manual. *That's what I would believe, and why. *Looks
> like you're past due.
>
> dan

I've seen a lot of questions in various forums that could be answered
with a simple Google search. But I guess an answer with a person's
signature at the bottom of it means that it's better than Google! ;-)

Timing belts are one of the things I don't mess around with, even when
they cost upwards of $900 to replace, like on my Audi.

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central N USA
Old February 24th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

On 2/24/2010 11:21 AM, Dano58 wrote:
> On Feb 23, 10:53 am, > wrote:
>> On 2/23/2010 7:39 AM, jgarbenzel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I have a Honda Accord 2001 with a little over 80,000 miles. Is time
>>> due for timing belt replacement?

>>> I asked several Honda service centers in the area and each one of them
>>> gave me a different answer (and a vague one!).

>>> Some say it should be replaced at 70K miles. Some say replace it at
>>> 100K miles. Others say 90K miles.

>>> Whom to believe? And why?

>>> Thanks!

>> Doesn't your owners manual say 105,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes
>> first? I found this out with a google search, but you could have looked
>> in your owner's manual. That's what I would believe, and why. Looks
>> like you're past due.
>>
>> dan

> I've seen a lot of questions in various forums that could be answered
> with a simple Google search. But I guess an answer with a person's
> signature at the bottom of it means that it's better than Google! ;-)
>
> Timing belts are one of the things I don't mess around with, even when
> they cost upwards of $900 to replace, like on my Audi.
>
> Dan D
> '07 Ody EX
> Central N USA

For me and many others on this forum that do our own maintenance, the
$100 bucks or so to replace the timing belt, tensioners and water pump
is cheap insurance. I have gatherering all these parts in
"anticipation" of the 7 year replacment interval. I'm actually more
worried about the water pump failing than the timing belt.

dan (not necessarily better than google)
Old February 24th 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Cameo

"jim beam" > wrote in message
>> Does Honda make any cars with non-interference engines?

> why would you want one? they have lower power density.
>
> besides, idiots get up here and bleat about "interference engines"
> here all the time, apparently unable to grasp that fact that any
> 4-stroke diesel is interference, but diesels are mysteriously missing
> from their list of engines to complain about.

I wasn't complaining. I was just curious. BTW, what are Toyota engines?