2008 Honda Civic Ex Maintenance Schedule

Old February 5th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

Default 2008 Honda Civic Ex Maintenance Schedule

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Seth" > wrote
>

>>> And does Mobil 1 synthetic break down "just sitting there"? I didn't
>>> believe it did.

>> I don't use Mobil 1, nor have I looked into it, so I can't say.

> Just wanted to say I found info that the shelf life of even conventional
> motor oil is 3 years.

Shelf life value has no meaning when it's in the car. "Shelf Life" = on the
shelf, in a sealed container with no contaminants. Once it's in your motor,
it no longer fits that criteria.

Old February 5th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"ACAR" > wrote in message
> On Feb 4, 9:47 pm, "Seth" > wrote:
> snip
>>
>> I know that my '01 EX-V6 Accord, which doesn't have the same MM as my
>> wife's '07, I've not been changing the oil till indicated (no percentage
>> gauge, just a flashing light to indicate), I don't change the oil till
>> flashing, use regular old dino oil (or whatever 5W-20 is these days) and
>> my
>> car with just a tad over 199,000 miles is still going strong.
>>

> Super!
> Please review your oil change receipts, calculate the average oil
> change interval (miles) and post that.

Sorry, no receipts. I buy oil at the local CarQuest. A case at a time of
whatever is cheapest that visit. Average interval is about 7+ thousand
between changes.

Old February 5th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Elle" > wrote in message
> "ACAR" > wrote
>> On Feb 4, 9:47 pm, "Seth" > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> I know that my '01 EX-V6 Accord, which doesn't have the same MM as my
>>> wife's '07, I've not been changing the oil till indicated (no percentage
>>> gauge, just a flashing light to indicate), I don't change the oil till
>>> flashing, use regular old dino oil (or whatever 5W-20 is these days) and
>>> my
>>> car with just a tad over 199,000 miles is still going strong.
>>>

>> Super!
>> Please review your oil change receipts, calculate the average oil
>> change interval (miles) and post that.
>>
>> For those not trusting the MM, how's that for a benchmark?

> To update the thread, we do have some reports on when the MM is calling
> for an oil change:
> Jan 21 JXStern and Elliot Richmond: About every 6k miles, twice now.
> Jan 13 Joe L.: About every 6k miles, twice now.
> Aug 5 2007 Santos: About every 6500-6800 miles, four times.
> Dec 4 2006 John H.: About every 7k miles.

My '01 V6, a tad over 7k per change. But I'm a high mileage driver. My
commute, 3 times a week, is 77 miles each way, very much of it 60+ mph
highway.

Old February 5th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote
>
>>> That would require having on-board info in a hard drive that knows the
>>> chemical structure, osmolarity, density from the light spectrometer
>>> thingy,
>>> etc., of each and every oil,

>> No, it simple means specifying a minimum standard of motor oil--the
>> specifications of which are published.

> That helps a consumer grab a quart of oil designed to fit the performance
> of the engine in use.
>
> Still...that does nothing to test the actual condition of the actual motor
> oil once it's in the engine.

Which is why I use the cheap stuff. The car and minder system is designed
with the lowest common denominator in mind. So I figure spending anymore
than that is not needed as I would end up changing the better (more
expensive stuff) before it was "fully used up" thus wasting the extra money
I spent on it.

Old February 5th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Seth" > wrote
> My '01 V6, a tad over 7k per change. But I'm a high
> mileage driver. My commute, 3 times a week, is 77 miles
> each way, very much of it 60+ mph highway.

Now the question to me is whether a 2008 Maintenance Minder
would recommend significantly different mileages between oil
changes for city driving vs. highway driving.

What again are the inputs to the "oil change reminder" on
your 2001?

Old February 5th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

>> Some are just troll-ish out of sport. Usenet and all.

> Amen.
> Well said...excellently put.
>
>> Post-back if you want some links on how the Maintenance Minder works.

> I sure would enjoy reading more about it, please.
>
> Peace,
> Polfus

Let me interject something here. I have a 2008 Accord and its the same
situation about the missing maintainance schedule at least what you are
looking for. I totally understand your arguement here. My dealer had to give
me a paper to show me aprox what to do at certain mileage for this reason
after explaining a little about the maint minder. Basically (under normal
driving) what I understand is that at 5000 mi you do the oil change. At
10000 mi you have the tires rotated, oil and filter and a few other things
get inspected. Then 5000 mi more and another oil change, then 5000 mi more
to make a total of 20000 mi on the car you get an oil change, tire rotation,
air filter change, adjust the parking and rear brakes, battery terminals
cleaned and a few other inspections on exhaust etc etc.

5000 mi service=$30.00
10000 mi service=$110.00
20000 mi service=$200.00

*based on my local area.

Old February 6th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Elle" > wrote in message
> "Seth" > wrote
>> My '01 V6, a tad over 7k per change. But I'm a high mileage driver. My
>> commute, 3 times a week, is 77 miles each way, very much of it 60+ mph
>> highway.

> Now the question to me is whether a 2008 Maintenance Minder would
> recommend significantly different mileages between oil changes for city
> driving vs. highway driving.
>
> What again are the inputs to the "oil change reminder" on your 2001?

Not sure what you mean.

Old February 6th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
>What is it nowadays--API SJ?

The most recent API rating for oils for gasoline engines is SM.
http://www.api.org/certifications/en...lGuide2006.pdf
Timothy J. Lee
Old February 6th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Seth" > wrote
>
>>> Just wanted to say I found info that the shelf life of even conventional
>>> motor oil is 3 years.

>> Shelf life value has no meaning when it's in the car. "Shelf Life" = on
>> the shelf, in a sealed container with no contaminants. Once it's in your
>> motor, it no longer fits that criteria.

> Understood, and agreed.
>
> I said in another reply, but will again here, for the sake of debate:
>
> If I get a brand new car with fresh oil, park it for a year and don't
> drive it other than to start it and roll it around the neighborhood, with
> less that 25 miles total on it after 1 year...does what you said still
> apply fully?

Once you pop the top, it's not fresh oil. Put it in an engine, it's
definitely not fresh.

"Hey, that tuna fish that says refrigerate after opening, even if I only
open it for a second and take out 1 forkful"???

Old February 6th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Seth" > wrote
>
>> Yeah, when the MM says to or 1 year, whichever comes first. I know of no
>> other.

> Cool..I thought you had other info bec..well..doesn't matter what I
> thought.
>
>> I have no scientific fact, only that logically it makes sense. It has
>> contaminants eating away at it even if just sitting there.

> Oh..sorry..I guess I forgot to say that in my example, its fresh oil on a
> brand new car.

It's not fresh once you open it and put it in an engine.

> In other words, if I have a brand new car and keep it in a garage and
> start in once every 2 weeks and roll it around the neighborhood once or
> twice and then park it again, for a year....like maybe 100 miles max in a
> year, if even.

It still has contimants in it. Under those circumstances, might it be good
for 1.5 yrs instead of 1, probably. But now you're describing an owners
manual 1000 pages long while it lists out every possible scenario rather
than the most likely that will be economical for all.

> I wonder if its okay for synthetic oil and if it would still, in reality,
> require replacement even if a MM says so.

MM is for the lowest common denominator and won't have a way to
differentiate. Honda's have no DINO/SYNTH" switch under the hood.

> Is the damn stuff *really* dirty/contaminated/degraded to the point of
> warranting replacement, even in this extreme example?

How dirty it is, would require taking a sample and sending it for analysis.
I'd rather spend the $15 or whatever changing it than $40 for the analysis.

> See what I mean?

Yeah, but now I think you are looking for extremes.

> Because if you do, then you could fairly quickly see that there may be
> times when the MM is incorrect.

But it's almost always going to be good enough for the masses.

Schedule 1/2 Maintenance S K Mazda 12 August 6th 07 06:24 AM
Maintenance schedule for '03 E46 325i Giskard Reventlov BMW 49 May 3rd 07 04:43 PM
Maintenance Schedule for 2006 Civic Oakparker Honda 15 October 2nd 06 04:31 AM
maintenance schedule VA_Tech_Hokies Honda 2 December 9th 04 01:59 PM
My Beetle's Maintenance Schedule - Help Please! Sleepy Joe VW air cooled 0 October 18th 04 01:53 AM