Schedule 1/2 Maintenance

Old July 10th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
S K

Default Schedule 1/2 Maintenance

Both schedule maintenance tables show valve clearance adjustments AND
fuel filter at 60K mi. Is that what most of y'all have done?? I have
always let my fuel filter be replaced with the 30K, 60K, etc. service.
my 2000 Miata, believe or not, is not yet at 29,000. So near the first
30K service, plugs etc. Wednesday I am having my yearly oil and filter
done (don't quite make 3k mi. in a year, with two other vehicles). but I
figure just to hold off on the 30K service till next June/July, cause I
will only be not quite 2,000 above 30K.

Old July 11th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jul 9, 6:02 pm, (S K) wrote:
> Both schedule maintenance tables show valve clearance adjustments AND
> fuel filter at 60K mi. Is that what most of y'all have done?? I have
> always let my fuel filter be replaced with the 30K, 60K, etc. service.
> my 2000 Miata, believe or not, is not yet at 29,000. So near the first
> 30K service, plugs etc. Wednesday I am having my yearly oil and filter
> done (don't quite make 3k mi. in a year, with two other vehicles). but I
> figure just to hold off on the 30K service till next June/July, cause I
> will only be not quite 2,000 above 30K.

???????Don't any of you look at your Schedule Maintenance
tables???????? :-) <BG>

Old July 11th 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

Fuel filter would make sense, but not sure what "valve clearance
adjustments" are supposed to mean. AFAIK every Miata ever made has HLAs,
meaning no valve adjustment is needed. (or possible)

Old July 11th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Richard Phillips

Mal Osborne wrote:
> Fuel filter would make sense, but not sure what "valve clearance
> adjustments" are supposed to mean. AFAIK every Miata ever made has
> HLAs, meaning no valve adjustment is needed. (or possible)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the mk1 differs to the mk2/2.5 in this
respect?

R.

Old July 11th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

> Fuel filter would make sense, but not sure what "valve clearance
> adjustments" are supposed to mean. AFAIK every Miata ever made has
> HLAs, meaning no valve adjustment is needed. (or possible)

1999 and later have solid lifters with shim adjustments.

Old July 11th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jul 11, 6:03 am, XS11E > wrote:
> "Mal Osborne" > wrote:
> > Fuel filter would make sense, but not sure what "valve clearance
> > adjustments" are supposed to mean. AFAIK every Miata ever made has
> > HLAs, meaning no valve adjustment is needed. (or possible)

> 1999 and later have solid lifters with shim adjustments.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Mine is a 2000 Miata MX-5 and the Schedule Maintenance table
definitely shows a "valve clearance" INSPECTIOIN, which is dumb. If
you're going to open the valve covers and pay for that, they might as
well adjust them properly.

Old July 11th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jul 11, 6:03 am, XS11E > wrote:
> "Mal Osborne" > wrote:
> > Fuel filter would make sense, but not sure what "valve clearance
> > adjustments" are supposed to mean. AFAIK every Miata ever made has
> > HLAs, meaning no valve adjustment is needed. (or possible)

> 1999 and later have solid lifters with shim adjustments.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

P.S. I hit ENTER too soon>>LOL. Anyway, my main question is, is
60,000 adequate for the fuel filter, I usually have it done at 30K
with all my vehicles (Plugs and such at 30K). AND how many of you
follow the Valve clearance recommendation???

Old July 12th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Well Mal, You just need to get on board! YES, the later Miata / MX5 or
what ever else you want to call it, DO NOT have Hyd lifters !!! And
!!!!! Yes, they need to be adjusted with shims ( They are "solid
lifters" ) They should be adjusted a the 60,000 mils check.

Bruce Bing '03 LS (with solid lifters & VVT)

Old July 12th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jul 11, 8:22 pm, (BRUCE HASKIN) wrote:
> Well Mal, You just need to get on board! YES, the later Miata / MX5 or
> what ever else you want to call it, DO NOT have Hyd lifters !!! And
> !!!!! Yes, they need to be adjusted with shims ( They are "solid
> lifters" ) They should be adjusted a the 60,000 mils check.
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS (with solid lifters & VVT)

And having had an older VW Beetle, and a 65 Karman Ghia, I do know
that when it is due, ya gots to get it don, Son>>LOL.With those it was
every 3,000 miles and MOST important. Had it done with each oil
change. I did the oil/lube, but not the valves.

Old July 12th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The NA's had HLAs--The NBs have buckets and shims, no HLAs.