Shop Manual - Worth It?

Old March 17th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

Default Shop Manual - Worth It?

I'm just a weekend tinkerer....maintenance and very minor repairs.

For years (starting with a '62 T-Bird!!!) .... I bought the FoMoCo shop
manuals and saved myself a lot of trips to the dealer for minor fixits.

Looking at my new 'Stang and Five-Hundred, I sort of doubt if there is
anything somebuddy like me could fix.

Am I right?

Old March 31st 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

The problem with computers is that they make people lazy and not want to
think. If you take your car into dealership with a minor problem all the
mechanics do now days is start wholesale replacement of parts until they
accidentally get the right one. Own your car long enough and you will know
it better than the so called factory trained experts that work on it. A
factory service manual will go a long way in helping you get on top of the
learning curve. Even if you don't work on the car that much you will at the
very least be armed with enough knowledge to know the difference between
someone giving you an honest diagnosis and a smoke screen.