CATALYTIC CONVERTER 95 HONDA DX COUPE

Old March 6th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default CATALYTIC CONVERTER 95 HONDA DX COUPE

All of a sudden my quiet exhaust system went loud, and on inspection
there's a huge exhause leak at the rear of the converter near where it
connects to the extension pipe and it appears to be rusted out, so I
need a new converter.

I would appreciate any recommendations as to where to buy one at a
decent price that will do it yourself install easily and fit exactly
and restore the original sound and fit.

Thanks in advance !

Land O'Lakes Fred
Old March 6th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

If you are in California, things get tricky. Else Magnaflow.com is a
pretty popular online aftermarket muffler and converter shop. I bought
a converter from it for my 91 Civic a few years ago. The flanges
matched up fine but I did go to True Value hardware and make a change
to the bolts, for length problems, IIRC.

I do not expect aftermarket to fare as well as OEM. So the decision to
go aftermarket here to me depends on how long you want to keep the
car.

Also, the metals in old converters have value. Check around the
junkyards in your area to sell your old converter. I got $25 for my 91
Civic's old, original converter in 2008.
Old March 7th 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

" > wrote in news:40c03a0e-
:

> All of a sudden my quiet exhaust system went loud, and on inspection
> there's a huge exhause leak at the rear of the converter near where it
> connects to the extension pipe and it appears to be rusted out, so I
> need a new converter.
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations as to where to buy one at a
> decent price that will do it yourself install easily and fit exactly
> and restore the original sound and fit.

You multi-posted this identical message to alt.autos.honda. I replied
there, adding proper crossposting to this group. Somebody's server balked
at that, so the crosspost has not shown up here. I'm therefore reposting my
reply below, independently...

Any muffler shop can sell you an aftermarket cat. Do not expect proper fit,
and do not expect fine build quality. Those properties are found only on
OEM cats.

But OEM will be horribly expensive, so aftermarket is often the only
realistic option for most people.

I'm currently running an aftermarket Walker on my Integra. The OEM one
rusted out a couple of years ago, and Honda has discontinued the OEM cats.

The Walker is appallingly poorly-made and does not fit well, but did
function correctly as far as its first smog-check went. How it will perform
next year is a question mark.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 7th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 23:29:30 +0000 (UTC), Tegger > wrote:
" > wrote in news:40c03a0e-
:

>> All of a sudden my quiet exhaust system went loud, and on inspection
>> there's a huge exhause leak at the rear of the converter near where it
>> connects to the extension pipe and it appears to be rusted out, so I
>> need a new converter.
>>
>> I would appreciate any recommendations as to where to buy one at a
>> decent price that will do it yourself install easily and fit exactly
>> and restore the original sound and fit.

>Any muffler shop can sell you an aftermarket cat. Do not expect proper fit,
>and do not expect fine build quality. Those properties are found only on
>OEM cats.

>But OEM will be horribly expensive, so aftermarket is often the only
>realistic option for most people.

Another option is a used one off a junker.