Air Conditioning system recharge......

Old June 26th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Air Conditioning system recharge......

My A/C system loses pressure every couple of years to where I must add 134a
to keep the system efficient. Instead of paying some shop almost $50 to add
refrigerant, I'd like to get one of those coolant recharge kits (Wal-Mart,
Pep Boys, etc) and add my own coolant. Question: Since I don't seem to be
losing oil from my system -- it's a very small leak -- will it hurt to use a
refrigerant that has oil in it, since most do! Any comments on using these
kits to recharge -- are they OK, etc.....
Thanks.

EW

Old June 26th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"LoneStar" > wrote in message
reenews.net...
> My A/C system loses pressure every couple of years to where I must add

134a
> to keep the system efficient. Instead of paying some shop almost $50 to

add
> refrigerant, I'd like to get one of those coolant recharge kits (Wal-Mart,
> Pep Boys, etc) and add my own coolant. Question: Since I don't seem to be
> losing oil from my system -- it's a very small leak -- will it hurt to use

> refrigerant that has oil in it, since most do! Any comments on using

these
> kits to recharge -- are they OK, etc.....
> Thanks.
>
> EW

A/C systems are not terribly complicated, but there are some things you need
to know when you work on one. If the only problem is a slow leak and it is
just low on refrigerant, then using the add Freon kit from Wal-Mart is
fairly simple and it comes with easy to follow directions. The problem is
that you have no way of knowing if there is anything else wrong with the
system and adding Freon with one of those kits can do more harm than good if
there are any number of possible problems. Paying a shop 50 dollars to add
the Freon is well worth the investment if they will also make sure that is
all it needs. There is a lot of information on the internet about how to
diagnose and repair your own A/C system and if you want to do it yourself
you should at least take the time learn a bit about it before you decide to
do the job. As for weather or not you should use the refrigerant charge
with or without oil, that is one of those things that gets a bit complicated
and should be left to a qualified technician to determine. Guessing wrong
can lead to unpleasant results.

Good luck,
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old June 26th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

LoneStar wrote:
> My A/C system loses pressure every couple of years to where I must add 134a
> to keep the system efficient. Instead of paying some shop almost $50 to add
> refrigerant, I'd like to get one of those coolant recharge kits (Wal-Mart,
> Pep Boys, etc) and add my own coolant. Question: Since I don't seem to be
> losing oil from my system -- it's a very small leak -- will it hurt to use a
> refrigerant that has oil in it, since most do!

www.aircondition.com is a web site devoted to automotive air
conditioning and has FAQs and forums devoted to the topic. Don't add
oil; use only pure R-134a.

$50 isn't much, especially considering that the garage will be
responsible for any damage caused by incorrect charging. But if you
want to do it yourself, don't let air into the system (purge all hoses
before connecting), and don't ever overcharge it (run engine at 2,000
RPM or faster, slowly add refrigerant until evaporator pipes show equal
temperatures or the pressure guages show full charge, whichever occurs
first).

Old June 27th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

--
"Kevin" > wrote in message
newssHng.58192$9c6.28532@dukeread11...

> A/C systems are not terribly complicated, but there are some things you

need
> to know when you work on one. If the only problem is a slow leak and it is
> just low on refrigerant, then using the add Freon kit from Wal-Mart is
> fairly simple and it comes with easy to follow directions. The problem is
> that you have no way of knowing if there is anything else wrong with the
> system and adding Freon with one of those kits can do more harm than good

if
> there are any number of possible problems. ETC................

Thank you and do-not-spam-me for your responses. Great info, and you're
right: let the pros do it! Then no worries.

EW

Old June 27th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

This makes me wonder two things:
1. How big a leak is a very small leak?
2. Should cleaning things up and adding R-134a compatible UV leak
detector dye and finding out where it's going be your first step?

Cheers,
--Joe

Old June 27th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This makes me wonder two things:
> 1. How big a leak is a very small leak?
> 2. Should cleaning things up and adding R-134a compatible UV leak
> detector dye and finding out where it's going be your first step?
>
> Cheers,
> --Joe

I agree, finding the leak should be the most important step towards a
repair, but the OP knows there is a leak and has chosen to ask advice on how
to just add refrigerant rather than find and repair the leak.