brake inlet hose bolt

Old June 25th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default brake inlet hose bolt

Hi All,

I stripped the bolt on the inlet brake hose while trying to replace the
caliper.
I got the new hose but it didn't come with the bolt.
Can I use any bolt that fits the thread of the caliper? Is there
anything special about the bolt?
The car's 98 cavalier 2.2.

Thanks,
John

Old June 26th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Nate Nagel wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I stripped the bolt on the inlet brake hose while trying to replace the
> > caliper.
> > I got the new hose but it didn't come with the bolt.
> > Can I use any bolt that fits the thread of the caliper? Is there
> > anything special about the bolt?
> > The car's 98 cavalier 2.2.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > John
> >

> I imagine what you're looking for is called a "banjo bolt" and no, you
> can't just use any old bolt that fits - if you know what size it is and
> regularly order from somewhere like PEgasus Racing (I'm guessing since
> you're asking the question that you don't) just ask for the right bolt
> next time you place an order - else just pick one up at the dealership.
> Make sure you get a couple of the copper washers with it as well.
>
> The banjo bolt is actually drilled hollow to allow fluid to flow through
> it, so if by some stroke of luck you did find a regular bolt that fit,
> the brakes would be disabled on that wheel, not good.
>
> good luck,
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Thanks for the reply. I see that one end of the hose is for the banjo
bolt. The other end looks kinda complicated, but it's a female.
When I check the brake line on the car, it's got some sort of clip, and
the metal line has what looks like a male thread. Just want to be sure
I am not missing any part before I start. Do I need anything else? For
those who has done this I would appreciate it if you can talk it
through.

Thanks,
John

Old June 26th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article
.com>,

wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I stripped the bolt on the inlet brake hose while trying to replace the
> > > caliper.
> > > I got the new hose but it didn't come with the bolt.
> > > Can I use any bolt that fits the thread of the caliper? Is there
> > > anything special about the bolt?
> > > The car's 98 cavalier 2.2.
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > John
> > >

> > I imagine what you're looking for is called a "banjo bolt" and no, you
> > can't just use any old bolt that fits - if you know what size it is and
> > regularly order from somewhere like PEgasus Racing (I'm guessing since
> > you're asking the question that you don't) just ask for the right bolt
> > next time you place an order - else just pick one up at the dealership.
> > Make sure you get a couple of the copper washers with it as well.
> >
> > The banjo bolt is actually drilled hollow to allow fluid to flow through
> > it, so if by some stroke of luck you did find a regular bolt that fit,
> > the brakes would be disabled on that wheel, not good.
> >
> > good luck,
> >
> > nate
> >
> > --
> > replace "fly" with "com" to reply.

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

> Thanks for the reply. I see that one end of the hose is for the banjo
> bolt. The other end looks kinda complicated, but it's a female.
> When I check the brake line on the car, it's got some sort of clip, and
> the metal line has what looks like a male thread. Just want to be sure
> I am not missing any part before I start. Do I need anything else? For
> those who has done this I would appreciate it if you can talk it
> through.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Why are you replacing the hose?
Old June 26th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:

> > > I imagine what you're looking for is called a "banjo bolt" and no, you
> > > can't just use any old bolt that fits - if you know what size it is and
> > > regularly order from somewhere like PEgasus Racing (I'm guessing since
> > > you're asking the question that you don't) just ask for the right bolt
> > > next time you place an order - else just pick one up at the dealership.
> > > Make sure you get a couple of the copper washers with it as well.
> > >
> > > The banjo bolt is actually drilled hollow to allow fluid to flow through
> > > it, so if by some stroke of luck you did find a regular bolt that fit,
> > > the brakes would be disabled on that wheel, not good.
> > >
> > > good luck,
> > >
> > > nate
> > >
> > > --
> > > replace "fly" with "com" to reply.

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

> > Thanks for the reply. I see that one end of the hose is for the banjo
> > bolt. The other end looks kinda complicated, but it's a female.
> > When I check the brake line on the car, it's got some sort of clip, and
> > the metal line has what looks like a male thread. Just want to be sure
> > I am not missing any part before I start. Do I need anything else? For
> > those who has done this I would appreciate it if you can talk it
> > through.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John

> Why are you replacing the hose?

I stripped the bolt when trying to replace the caliper. So now I got to
do the hose too...

Old June 26th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> aarcuda69062 wrote:
>
>>In article
ps.com>,

wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

>>>Thanks for the reply. I see that one end of the hose is for the banjo
>>>bolt. The other end looks kinda complicated, but it's a female.
>>>When I check the brake line on the car, it's got some sort of clip, and
>>>the metal line has what looks like a male thread. Just want to be sure
>>>I am not missing any part before I start. Do I need anything else? For
>>>those who has done this I would appreciate it if you can talk it
>>>through.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>John

>>Why are you replacing the hose?

> I stripped the bolt when trying to replace the caliper. So now I got to
> do the hose too...

eh, if the *BOLT* is stripped, just replace the bolt and the two copper
washers... normally I would recommend replacing the hose as well but
that's entirely optional. To replace the hose you probably will need a
"flare nut wrench" or "line wrench" (looks like a 6 point box wrench
with a little notch cut out) to loosen the inner fitting on the hose,
and if you mess that up, then you're replacing hard lines... in fact,
while you're thinking about it, go put some penetrating oil (good
penetrating oil, not WD-40 - use Kroil, PB Blaster, Wuerth Rost Off,
something like that) on that fitting that you're going to have to loosen.

nate

Old June 26th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Vise grips!

You can grab the brass end of the line that has the banjo bolt with vise
grips and turn it. It will then loosen the banjo bolt. You will need
to have the caliper in place to do this because it is too hard to hold
and reef on with vise grips.

Trying to get that fitting off the metal line 'can' end up with you
replacing the steel line too. Very easily....

Unless you really 'had' to, I would recommend avoiding messing with the
steel lines...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 26th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> > eh, if the *BOLT* is stripped, just replace the bolt and the two copper
> > washers... normally I would recommend replacing the hose as well but
> > that's entirely optional. To replace the hose you probably will need a
> > "flare nut wrench" or "line wrench" (looks like a 6 point box wrench
> > with a little notch cut out) to loosen the inner fitting on the hose,
> > and if you mess that up, then you're replacing hard lines... in fact,
> > while you're thinking about it, go put some penetrating oil (good
> > penetrating oil, not WD-40 - use Kroil, PB Blaster, Wuerth Rost Off,
> > something like that) on that fitting that you're going to have to loosen.
> >
> > nate
> >
> > --
> > replace "fly" with "com" to reply.

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

> Since the bolt is stripped, I can't remove it from the caliper. So I
> have to replace the caliper and the hose. It's not like I want to
> replace the hose...
> If I know how to remove the stripped bolt, I would have done it...

is the bolt stripped? or the *head* of the bolt? if the former, I
don't see why it won't just pull out. If the latter, someone has
already posted that vice grips are the answer.

good luck

nate

Old June 26th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

the head of the bolt is stripped, and stripped badly too..
Anyways I will use vise grip to see if any luck...
If not, then I gotta take out the hose too....

Thanks,

> is the bolt stripped? or the *head* of the bolt? if the former, I
> don't see why it won't just pull out. If the latter, someone has
> already posted that vice grips are the answer.
>
> good luck
>
> nate

Sudden brake hydraulic fluid leak 1999 A6 1,8T Ian Gaskell Audi 7 January 21st 06 08:27 PM
crank bolt tightening debate jim beam Honda 43 November 30th 05 02:12 AM
Crank bolt marked. Burt S. Honda 2 November 11th 05 03:22 AM
Major Passat GLX brake issue DLG VW water cooled 0 August 20th 05 05:46 AM