How long can a popping CV joint last?

Old January 4th 18, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default How long can a popping CV joint last?

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 7:52:49 PM UTC-10, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/03/2018 04:59 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 5:22:14 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> >>
> >> I have never owned a front wheel drive vehicle before. I don't think I want one either.

> Probably easier to put chains on a FWD, but I've never had to put them
> on a RWD.
>
> > It's a terrible thing to live in fear, isn't it?

> Having driven examples of both, the differences seem less apparent than
> the differences in the other characteristics. In fact, NONE that I
> could detect.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> "Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's already built
> into the User?" -- Steve Shaw, regarding Win95

FWD has been on the scene for over 40 years and there's still some folks that refuse to acknowledge the validity of the concept. This is perfectly understandable - if one is a drag racer or a NASCAR driver.
Old January 4th 18, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

dsi1 > wrote:
>FWD has been on the scene for over 40 years and there's still some folks that refuse to acknowledge the validity of the concept. This is perfectly understandable - if one is a drag racer or a NASCAR driver.

Or one ever expects to change a clutch.
--scott
Old January 4th 18, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 7:19:17 AM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
> >FWD has been on the scene for over 40 years and there's still some folks that refuse to acknowledge the validity of the concept. This is perfectly understandable - if one is a drag racer or a NASCAR driver.

> Or one ever expects to change a clutch.
> --scott

I like rear wheel drive because it is much simpler than front wheel drive. The differential and one or two universal joints. If I permanently lived in 'snow country' no doubt I would own a four wheel drive vehicle, with a really good heater. I have lived in Indiana (1947) and Montana (1956) and Kansas (1957) and Illinois (1963) I think I know 'snow country'
Old January 4th 18, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 10:28:41 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 7:19:17 AM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > dsi1 > wrote:
> > >FWD has been on the scene for over 40 years and there's still some folks that refuse to acknowledge the validity of the concept. This is perfectly understandable - if one is a drag racer or a NASCAR driver.

> > Or one ever expects to change a clutch.
> > --scott
> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> I like rear wheel drive because it is much simpler than front wheel drive.. The differential and one or two universal joints. If I permanently lived in 'snow country' no doubt I would own a four wheel drive vehicle, with a really good heater. I have lived in Indiana (1947) and Montana (1956) and Kansas (1957) and Illinois (1963) I think I know 'snow country'

rawstory.com Can road salt and other pollutants disrupt our circadian rhythms? ...I don't like road salt, it rusts out vehicles underneath.
Old January 4th 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 3:19:17 AM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Or one ever expects to change a clutch.
> --scott

That is not a problem. I've changed the clutches on several cars - all of them were RWD. My guess is that FWD cars don't don't need to have their clutch changed because they have better drivers.
Old January 5th 18, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_5_]

wrote:

>>> I had no trouble pulling out of an icy slightly-uphill parking lot
>>> (yes, we have those in SoCal -- up in the ski areas) with my Sentra
>>> after watching a guy with a RWD pickup spin helplessly. Probably
>>> just skill, right?
>>>
>>> OTOH, the most fun I've ever had in a car was driving an S2000 down
>>> the mountain.

>> How to get your vehicle unstuck with a 2'' x 4'' Youtube

> The winch made of two hefty branches and a rope was interesting, but I
> suspect I'd be totally exhausted from the branch-flipping before the
> car moved an appreciable distance. I wonder how laying heavy chain
> (keep 20 feet or so of it in your trunk) down in front of a tire
> would work. Zigzaggy, not straight out.
>
> All we could find was a piece of cardboard. Guess how well that
> worked :-)

Asphalt roofing shingles work pretty well.

Old January 5th 18, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 01/04/2018 05:34 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> All we could find was a piece of cardboard. Guess how well that
>> worked :-)

> Asphalt roofing shingles work pretty well.

The homeowner probably would have complained.

--
Cheers, Bev
Of course SoCal has four seasons:
Old January 5th 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_5_]

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 05:34 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> All we could find was a piece of cardboard. Guess how well that
>>> worked :-)

>> Asphalt roofing shingles work pretty well.

> The homeowner probably would have complained.

They don't even notice until spring. It's a different story when you
take tiles from a Spanish tile roof to make planters.

Old January 5th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 11:31:40 PM UTC-6, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 05:34 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> > The Real Bev wrote:
> >> All we could find was a piece of cardboard. Guess how well that
> >> worked :-)

> > Asphalt roofing shingles work pretty well.

> The homeowner probably would have complained.
>

> --
> Cheers, Bev
> Of course SoCal has four seasons:
> Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot

Apshalt? Hurricane Katrina blew ten asphalt roof shingles off of the top of my house, and three trees down/across my street, and millions of some kind of strange looking insects into town, a lot of peoples' cars grills were covered with those insects, people escaping from Hurricane Katrina. Big old pecan tree in my front yard, the trunk of that tree was 'dancing' like mad. I live 140 miles North of the Gulf Coast. My Australian Blue Heeler doggy, she slept completely through that Hurricane.