Musk electric pickup truck.

Old December 27th 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Musk electric pickup truck.

www.endgadget.com Elon Musk vows to build electric pickup truck 'right after' Model Y
Old December 30th 17, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 9:50:32 AM UTC+8, wrote:
> www.endgadget.com Elon Musk vows to build electric pickup truck 'right after' Model Y

Bigger than an F-150 *GROAN*
Why not something smaller?
Oh I forgot, rednecks need room for a gun rack.
Old December 30th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 5:37:33 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 9:50:32 AM UTC+8, wrote:
> > www.endgadget.com Elon Musk vows to build electric pickup truck 'right after' Model Y

> Bigger than an F-150 *GROAN*
> Why not something smaller?
> Oh I forgot, rednecks need room for a gun rack.

I used to own a 1967 Ford pickup truck. It had an eight feet long bed on it. That was a Real Pickup truck, in my opinion. They just don't make them like they used to anymore
Old December 31st 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 5:37:33 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>> On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 9:50:32 AM UTC+8, wrote:
>> > www.endgadget.com Elon Musk vows to build electric pickup truck 'right after' Model Y

>> Bigger than an F-150 *GROAN*
>> Why not something smaller?
>> Oh I forgot, rednecks need room for a gun rack.

>I used to own a 1967 Ford pickup truck. It had an eight feet long bed on it. That was a Real Pickup truck, in my opinion. They just don't make them like they used to anymore

I suspect Mr. Musk will make them like they used to, in part. The huge amount
of low end torque available with an electric motor and the fact that you can
easily get torque to all four wheels and control them independently is likely
to be a huge benefit for a pickup actually being used for work. And the fact
that the gas engine has to be sized for peak load and therefore becomes
inefficient at smaller loads disappears.

Maintenance on the electric vehicles, other than on the batteries, is minimal,
which is a big win for fleets.

It's a good application for electric power.
--scott

Old December 31st 17, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

www.freerepublic.com Tesla's fancy new I-5 rest stop is part gas station, part airport lounge. www.freerepublic/focus/f-news/3618349/posts
Old January 3rd 18, 08:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I am amazed at the mileage they are getting from modern-managed batteries. When a radio show said the new electric semi was expected to get 500 miles I thought it was absurd until I remembered the enthusiast I met with the sports car exceeded 200 miles.

Old January 4th 18, 07:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 9:35:32 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> I am amazed at the mileage they are getting from modern-managed batteries.. When a radio show said the new electric semi was expected to get 500 miles I thought it was absurd until I remembered the enthusiast I met with the sports car exceeded 200 miles.

My understanding is that a lot of the Tesla batteries have capacities limited by the programming software. You have to pay for the additional kilowatt hours but it's cheaper to install the same batteries in the cars. From a manufacturing standpoint, it is more cost effective to use the same hardware across a model line and disable features through software on lower end models. It's brilliant!
Old January 4th 18, 09:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 2:24:21 PM UTC+8, dsi1 wrote:

> My understanding is that a lot of the Tesla batteries have capacities limited by the programming software. You have to pay for the additional kilowatt hours but it's cheaper to install the same batteries in the cars. From a manufacturing standpoint, it is more cost effective to use the same hardware across a model line and disable features through software on lower end models. It's brilliant!

Is it like Apple? That is limit power draw when the batteries get old?
Old January 6th 18, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 4/01/2018 5:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 9:35:32 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> I am amazed at the mileage they are getting from modern-managed batteries. When a radio show said the new electric semi was expected to get 500 miles I thought it was absurd until I remembered the enthusiast I met with the sports car exceeded 200 miles.

> My understanding is that a lot of the Tesla batteries have capacities limited by the programming software. You have to pay for the additional kilowatt hours but it's cheaper to install the same batteries in the cars. From a manufacturing standpoint, it is more cost effective to use the same hardware across a model line and disable features through software on lower end models. It's brilliant!

It is not a new concept and has existed for 30+ years.

--

Xeno