Need to buy a transmission jack for a Tacoma clutch - HF has a sale - advice?

Old October 28th 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ivan Vegvary[_2_]

Default Need to buy a transmission jack for a Tacoma clutch - HF has asale - advice?

Wish I was young again! Took two people to change heavy hydramatics. One under the car to drop it down. The second person would pull you out by your feet with the transmission upon your chest.
YOUTH !
Old October 28th 17, 03:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

harry newton wrote:

> How heavy is a W59 Toyota Tacoma transmission anyway?

Don't know. But I did a clutch job on my FJ40. I'd estimate the tranny and
transfer to weigh about 250 lbs. I can lift them if they are lying on the
ground, but not to position them for reinstallation.

I took the floor panel off (over the transmission), opened both doors, ran a
beam through the doors and hung a chain hoist from it. I don't know if a
Tacoma has such a floor panel.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven.

Old October 28th 17, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 10/28/2017 07:36 AM, harry newton wrote:
> Do you think it will harm anything to flush with DOT4 until I can get DOT3
> in there until I buy and receive the parts to replace or rebuild the master
> and slave cylinders?

3, 4, and 5.1 are compatible. To confuse the issue DOT 5 is silicone
based and not compatible with any of the others. Mixing them won't work.
At best they'll separate out.

The progression mostly comes down to higher boiling points. Disc brakes
have less thermal mass than the older drum brakes and can get hotter in
operation. ABS adds a few more factors.

I have DOT 5 in my '98 Harley. It's claims to fame are it doesn't absorb
water and doesn't harm paint. It does absorb air and is a bitch to
bleed. I don't know how widespread it is. It doesn't work with ABS and
I've never had a car with it, just the bike.

Since you'll be replacing the seals I'd just flush with 4 and fill it
with 4 when you're done. It's a little more expensive but nothing that
will break the bank.