heater inspection

Old July 9th 17, 02:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

Default heater inspection

On 7/8/2017 11:39 PM, micky wrote:

>> Interesting they do not even require the defroster to work?????

> That would certainly be a good idea, but the Coopers Auto page doesn't
> list it. He lists wipers but not ws washers. (Nope, not listed. See
> link at bottom.)
>

> Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
> https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...checklist.html
>
> Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.

When I lived in PA had many cars inspected. No one ever checked the
defroster or the washers. One never checked brakes either.

I has a '64 Karmen Ghia convertible that I paid $15 for. The heat ducts
were rusted out so no heat, no defrost. I used to carry a squeegee and
an ice scraper. Many things on that car should never pass inspection,
but I always had a sticker on it.
Old July 9th 17, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sun, 9 Jul 2017 01:15:54 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>>=20
>> Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
>> https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...state-inspect=

>ion-checklist.html
>>=20
>> Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.

Or maybe they decided to use Hawaiian standards and Hawaii doesn't care
about defrosting.

Not so silly. When the US Army invaded Iraq (first Gulf war) they redid
their traffic laws and I'm told they just took Maryland's traffic laws
and, with a few changes, used them.

Old July 9th 17, 08:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 7:18:04 AM UTC-10, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Sun, 9 Jul 2017 01:15:54 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >>=20
> >> Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
> >> https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...state-inspect=

> >ion-checklist.html
> >>=20
> >> Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.

> Or maybe they decided to use Hawaiian standards and Hawaii doesn't care
> about defrosting.
>
> Not so silly. When the US Army invaded Iraq (first Gulf war) they redid
> their traffic laws and I'm told they just took Maryland's traffic laws
> and, with a few changes, used them.
>
> >My understanding is that a check engine or brake light being on might not b=
> >e a fail condition - but it could be. The rules and regulations on this has=
> > quite a few pages - at least that's the way it is in Hawaii. It's also req=
> >uired that photographic documentation is done. A video has to be made that =
> >includes the registration and insurance card and the underside of the vehic=
> >le. This has to be done in one shot - no editing. It's nuts!

What's a "defroster?"

Old July 9th 17, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

On 7/9/2017 2:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 7:18:04 AM UTC-10, micky wrote:

>>> ion-checklist.html

>> Or maybe they decided to use Hawaiian standards and Hawaii doesn't care
>> about defrosting.
>>
>> Not so silly. When the US Army invaded Iraq (first Gulf war) they redid
>> their traffic laws and I'm told they just took Maryland's traffic laws
>> and, with a few changes, used them.
>>
>>> My understanding is that a check engine or brake light being on might not b=
>>> e a fail condition - but it could be. The rules and regulations on this has=
>>> quite a few pages - at least that's the way it is in Hawaii. It's also req=
>>> uired that photographic documentation is done. A video has to be made that =
>>> includes the registration and insurance card and the underside of the vehic=
>>> le. This has to be done in one shot - no editing. It's nuts!

> What's a "defroster?"

It's a system that, among other things, engages your a/c clutch. ;^)

--
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.
Old July 9th 17, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>She was in Massachusetts, which allows someone to get his money back if
>>>he takes it for inspectation within 7 days of purchase, it fails, and he
>>>tells the seller about this in 14 days. Even on an asis sale. But she
>>>never took if for inspection.
>>>

>>>My mother lived in Pa. and for years had a heater core that leaked. I
>>>tried drilling a hole in the floor board and threading a wick through
>>>it, under the carpet, but it didn't work. Maybe antifreeze and water
>>>doesn't wick well, and anyway, the wick blew away after being in the
>>>wind for 1000 miles. Pa. had inspection twice a year thne and I'm sure
>>>this wouldn't have caused a failure, though Pa. does more than inspect
>>>for safety. If you've go
>>>
>>>Maryland doesn't inspect the cooling system at all:
>>>http://coopersautoservicemd.com/mary...ion-checklist/

>> Interesting they do not even require the defroster to work?????

>That would certainly be a good idea, but the Coopers Auto page doesn't
>list it. He lists wipers but not ws washers. (Nope, not listed. See
>link at bottom.)
>
>Maybe it's not complete. I had tried to find the State of Maryland rules
>directly, but only found a 150 page pdf file. They should make it
>easier to find so people can do their own inspection beforee they take
>it, since they only get 30 days to finish once they start.
>
>The last car the guy said I couldn't pass because of some oil dripping
>on the exhaust pipe. I don't see that on the list either. He passed me
>for an extra 10 or 20 dollars.
>
>The inspection is only once, each time a car is sold used. Although if
>the police notice something from the list, they can make you fix it.
>

>This is all I could find on a state webpage
>http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../58000-01T.htm :
>
>Appendix A:
>
>Vehicle Parts or Systems to be Inspected for passenger cars
>
> Steering system
>• Wheel alignment
>• Suspension
>• Brake system
>• Wheels / tires
>• Fuel system
>• Exhaust system
>• Bumpers
>• Fenders
>• Lights
>• Electrical system
>• Mirrors
>• Glazing (windows)
>• Wipers
>• Hood / catches
>• Door handle latches
>• Floor / trunk pans
>• Speedometer / odometer
>• Driver seat
>• Safety belts
>• Motor mounts
>• Gear shift indicator
>• Universal and CV (constant velocity) joints
>• Emissions equipment
>
>Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
>https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...checklist.html
>
>Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.

As of 2006, this was the requirement in Ontario. It got stiffer in
2016 - - -

The following items shall be inspected, and the motor vehicle shall be
denied an SSC if:

?In the body and interior:

a) any bumper, fender or mudguard has been removed or is mounted
insecurely;
b) any body part has protruding sharp edges that could be hazardous to
pedestrians or passengers;
c) any hood latch or passenger door does not operate as intended;
d) the driver's sun visor does not operate properly;
e) any occupant seat is insecure or fails to maintain its adjustment;
f) the inside and/or outside rearview mirrors are loose, cracked or
have any significant reductions of the reflective surface, or the
inside mirror (where required) is missing;
g) where required, the seat belt assemblies are missing, insecure,
damaged, inoperative or do not function as intended;
h) the frame or any structural unitized member is broken or cracked;
has any loose or missing connecting fasteners; or is perforated with
rust that could downgrade the safety of the vehicle; or
i) The underbody, including the trunk floor pan, is perforated by rust
or damaged or has any opening that may allow entry of exhaust gas.

Glazing
a) any glass, where required, is other than safety glass;
b) any glazing material has exposed sharp edges, a missing part or is
insecure;
c) any safety glass in the windshield, or to the left or right of the
driver, has been replaced with any vision-obstructing material,
or is clouded or fogged so as to affect the driver's vision;
d) the windshield has any star, crack or stone chip in the area swept
by the driver's wiper blade that could affect the driver's
vision; or
e) the driver's window does not open freely.
Lighting and Electrical
a) any prescribed lamp fails to operate or interferes with any other
circuit;
b) any turn signal indicator lamp fails to operate properly;
c) any lamp or reflector is loose or missing in whole or in part, or
is discoloured;
d) any headlamp is covered with a coloured lacquer or is fitted with
any device affecting brightness (e.g. headlamp shields);
e) any headlamp shutter or retracting headlamp fails to operate
properly or is not secured in the fully-open position;
f) any headlamp is aligned incorrectly;
g) the headlamp dimmer switch or high-beam indicating light fails to
operate as intended;
h) the horn fails to operate or is insecure on its mount;
i) the windshield wiper/washer assemblies and the heating and
defrosting systems do not function as originally intended;
j) where originally fitted, the neutral safety switch has been removed
or allows the starter motor to operate in any other than the
neutral and park positions; or
k) the speedometer is not in good working order.

"Prescribed Lights" is the phrase used to cover the lighting
requirements of vehicles for the purposes of the HTA, and applies to
all vehicles, including passenger cars, light and heavy trucks and
trailers. "Prescribed Lights" vary with vehicle dimensions and include
the lights listed below:

Headlamps: no more than four, and shall be white or amber in colour;

Turn signals: shall be self illuminating;

Stop lights: shall be red or yellow in colour;

Tail Lights: shall be red in colour;

Licence plate: rear plate must be illuminated by a white light;

Reflectors: shall be red in colour, located at the rear and as close
as practical to the outside of the vehicle body (most tail light
lenses incorporate a reflective lens in their construction); and

Side markers: one on each side near the front, green or amber in
colour, and one on each side near the rear, red in colour.

NOTE: Although side marker lights are not required for certification
of a motor vehicle with a length of 6.1 metres (20 feet) or less, the
Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) requires all vehicles
manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, to be equipped with side
marker lights.

Engine and Controls
a) with the engine running, there is any visible leakage in the fuel
system (the fuel tank does not have to be filled before inspection for
leaks);
b) any attachment or component of the fuel system is insecure or
missing, including a proper fuel filler cap;
c) the accelerator linkage fails to return the engine speed to idle
when the pedal is released; or,
d) the power steering belt is defective, incorrectly adjusted or
missing.
Exhaust System and Manifolds
a) any exhaust component is missing or mounted insecurely;
b) any exhaust leakage is present, other than from the manufacturer's
drain holes;
c) any exhaust component is within the occupant compartment, or is so
located or unguarded that any occupant may be burned
by entering or leaving the vehicle; or
d) the exhaust system has been shortened or modified from original, so
as to fail to direct the exhaust beyond the underbody of
the occupant compartment or luggage compartment.
NOTE: Although emission control devices are not required to be
inspected for the purpose of issuing an 550, the motor vehicle will be
in violation of the Environmental Protection Act if any component of
the emission control system is inoperative, defective, has been
removed, or fails to function as intended.

Trailer Hitch
a) any trailer hitch or attachment is damaged, excessively worn or
insecure as to affect its proper operation; or,
b) any trailer hitch lock assembly fails to operate as intended.
Steering and Suspension
a) any visible leakage of fluid is present in the power steering
system or the reservoir fluid level is too low;
b) the steering column, box or couplings are excessively worn or loose
on their mountings, or parts are missing or loose;
c) any steering linkage joint is worn or loose;
d) any steering system, or suspension locking device or clamp is
missing, loose or worn so as to affect its proper operation;
e) the front wheels are visibly out of alignment;
f) the front wheels fail to turn from full right to full left freely;
g) free movement of the steering wheel exceeds manufacturer's limits;
h) the power steering system does not operate as intended;
i) any component, or attachment of the suspension system, or its
supports, is excessively worn, corroded, broken, bent,
cracked, loose, disconnected or missing;
j) the front or rear axles are tracking improperly so as to affect
handling the vehicle;
k) any ball joint is worn beyond manufacturer's limits; or
I) any wheel or axle bearing is excessively worn, loose or damaged.

Wheels and Tires
NOTE: Only those wheels/tires installed on axles are inspected.
a) any wheel-retaining device is worn, defective, loose or missing;
b) any wheel is cracked, excessively bent or has been repaired by
welding;
c) any wheel spoke is loose, broken or missing;
d) tire shows any exposed cord;
e) any abnormal bump, bulge or knot is present;
f) any tire makes contact with any vehicle component;
g) any tire bears the markings "not for highway use" or "farm use
only";
h) any tire is worn beyond the minimum allowed tread depth; e.g.
built-in wear bar indicators are showing on two adjacent major tread
grooves at three equal spacings around the circumference of the tire;
i) any tire is of a smaller size than vehicle manufacturer's specified
minimum size;
j) any mixture of 50 to 60 series are installed on the front axle and
any other series on the rear;
k) any tire differs in construction type from any other tire on the
same axle; or,
I) except on a vehicle fitted with dual rear tires, any mixture of
radial tires are on the front axle and belted-bias or bias ply tires
are installed on the rear axle.

Brakes
a) any fluid or vacuum leakage is present in the braking system;
b) the brake fluid in the brake master cylinder is below the
manufacturer's recommended minimum level;
c) any brake tubing has heavy corrosion scaling;
d) any vacuum or hydraulic hose or tube is damaged, insecure, missing
or chafes against any part of the vehicle;
e) with the foot brake applied, the brake pedal moves toward the
floor;
f) the brakes, including the parking brake, are not adjusted properly;
g) any brake, including the parking brake, fails to release
immediately when the pedal or lever is released;
h) any mechanical, vacuum or hydraulic component is missing, cracked,
loose, badly worn, seized or damaged so as to affect
its operation;
i) any hydraulic component is leaking fluid;
j) with the motor running and the brake pedal applied, the brake
failure warning light comes on;
k) with the vacuum depleted from the power brake (by depressing the
brake pedal three or four times), the motor shut off and
the brake pedal depressed, the pedal fails to move momentarily towards
the floor when the motor is started;
I) any brake drum or rotor is worn beyond the manufacturer's limits,
or the friction surfaces
are damaged mechanically other than from normal wear;
m) any brake rotor cooling fin is cracked or broken;
n) any bonded brake lining is thinner than 1.5 millimeters (1/16 inch)
at its thinnest point;
o) any riveted brake lining is thinner than 0.8 millimeters (1/32
inch) at its thinnest point;
p) any brake lining is broken or loose on its shoe or pad;
q) any brake lining is contaminated;
r) any wheel hub seal, axle seal or oil retainer is missing or
leaking;
s) the parking brake does not hold properly and release fully;
t) where originally fitted, the dual-circuit brake warning lamp fails
to operate as intended; or,
u) on the road test, the braking system does not brake evenly or stop
the vehicle within the required distance.
Some of the standards contained in this PAGE rely on the mechanical
experience and sound judgment of the inspection mechanic, based on the
inspection standards as set down in the Highway Traffic Act.?

Old July 10th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:44:43 AM UTC-10, . wrote:
> On 7/9/2017 2:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 7:18:04 AM UTC-10, micky wrote:

> >> Or maybe they decided to use Hawaiian standards and Hawaii doesn't care
> >> about defrosting.
> >>
> >> Not so silly. When the US Army invaded Iraq (first Gulf war) they redid
> >> their traffic laws and I'm told they just took Maryland's traffic laws
> >> and, with a few changes, used them.

> > What's a "defroster?"
> >

> It's a system that, among other things, engages your a/c clutch. ;^)
>
> --
> My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.

The most important part of a car is the AC. Everything else is of secondary importance.
Old July 10th 17, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

dsi1 wrote:

> The most important part of a car is the AC. Everything else is of secondary importance.

You got that right!
Driving two hours to the motel with vehicle a/c blasting feels so good after
working all day in the hot Texas sun.

Old July 10th 17, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 4:57:07 PM UTC-10, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >>>

> > The most important part of a car is the AC. Everything else is of secondary importance.

> You got that right!
> Driving two hours to the motel with vehicle a/c blasting feels so good after
> working all day in the hot Texas sun.

God bless us everyone!
Old July 11th 17, 04:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sun, 9 Jul 2017 09:09:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:

>On 7/8/2017 11:39 PM, micky wrote:
>
>>> Interesting they do not even require the defroster to work?????

>> That would certainly be a good idea, but the Coopers Auto page doesn't
>> list it. He lists wipers but not ws washers. (Nope, not listed. See
>> link at bottom.)
>>

>> Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
>> https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...checklist.html
>>
>> Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.
>>

>When I lived in PA had many cars inspected. No one ever checked the
>defroster or the washers. One never checked brakes either.

I wish I could have found an inspector like that. Would have made my
life easier. One year when I was living in NYC more than Pa. I had my
car inspected in NYS, had Pensyslvania plates, and paid car insurance at
a NY address (because I wasn't trying to cheat the insurance company.)
The NY inspection made no sense, but I never got a ticket.

>I has a '64 Karmen Ghia convertible that I paid $15 for. The heat ducts
>were rusted out so no heat, no defrost. I used to carry a squeegee and
>an ice scraper. Many things on that car should never pass inspection,
>but I always had a sticker on it.

LOL
Old July 11th 17, 04:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:45:12 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>In rec.autos.tech, on Sun, 9 Jul 2017 09:09:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:

>>> That would certainly be a good idea, but the Coopers Auto page doesn't
>>> list it. He lists wipers but not ws washers. (Nope, not listed. See
>>> link at bottom.)
>>>

>>> Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
>>> https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...checklist.html
>>>
>>> Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.
>>>

>>When I lived in PA had many cars inspected. No one ever checked the
>>defroster or the washers. One never checked brakes either.

>I wish I could have found an inspector like that. Would have made my
>life easier. One year when I was living in NYC more than Pa. I had my
>car inspected in NYS, had Pensyslvania plates, and paid car insurance at
>a NY address (because I wasn't trying to cheat the insurance company.)
>The NY inspection made no sense, but I never got a ticket.
>>
>>I has a '64 Karmen Ghia convertible that I paid $15 for. The heat ducts
>>were rusted out so no heat, no defrost. I used to carry a squeegee and
>>an ice scraper. Many things on that car should never pass inspection,
>>but I always had a sticker on it.

>LOL

On a Ghia convertible even WITH good tubes you could never get the
cabin WARM. A gas heater was a good option in cold country.

Heater Pipe connected to the rear heater and engine 98 Dodge Caravan -Almazick- Dodge 1 April 22nd 08 04:20 AM
99 wrangler heater problems (can't turn heater off) Jamie Mello Jeep 0 July 8th 07 06:01 PM
1996 XJ 4.0 Cherokee Heater Controls, Heater Lukewarm WildWestAZ Jeep 4 November 29th 05 12:37 AM
Inspection 1 [email protected] BMW 4 October 20th 05 01:24 AM
Inspection II pp BMW 4 November 19th 04 05:37 PM