Harley and Ducati.

Old June 27th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Default Harley and Ducati.

micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 24 Jun 2017 15:30:02 -0700, The Real Bev
> > wrote:

>>> How ironic is that? Very, I'd say!

>> I fear for Ducati. BTW, I couldn't tell the difference between the 1960
>> Monza and Diana; the Diana had the desmo valves.

> So here you are on auto.tech too.
>
> You see the same people verywhere, and this confirms my opinion that
> there are really only 120 people on Usenet.

Perhaps they are all the same person... or bot.

Old June 27th 17, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 06/26/2017 03:38 PM, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 24 Jun 2017 15:30:02 -0700, The Real Bev
> > wrote:

>>> How ironic is that? Very, I'd say!

>>I fear for Ducati. BTW, I couldn't tell the difference between the 1960
>>Monza and Diana; the Diana had the desmo valves.

I destroyed the clutch and eventually gave it to the local Ducati dealer
in the hope that at least some parts could be used to give another
motorcycle life.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

> So here you are on auto.tech too.

Also skiing. I'm NOTHING if not eclectic!

> You see the same people everywhere, and this confirms my opinion that
> there are really only 120 people on Usenet.

Back when it was popular, a guy (Icelandic, maybe; certainly
Scandinavian) named Timo Salmi was incredibly prolific -- an expert in
many fields. Cute as hell -- sort of like a Nordic gnome.

> As to Harley, they're made in York Pa, not far from here, and they have
> tours. They're expensive considering most factory tours are free IME,
> but I'd do it except they're only on weekdays iirc, and I'm only up
> there on occasional weekends.

My mom's company used to make high-quality steel tubing for H-D.

--
Cheers, Bev
"When I was a kid my dad once joked that the best way to

Old July 1st 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Mon, 26 Jun 2017 21:03:39 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>On 06/26/2017 03:38 PM, micky wrote:
>> In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 24 Jun 2017 15:30:02 -0700, The Real Bev
>> > wrote:

>>>I fear for Ducati. BTW, I couldn't tell the difference between the 1960
>>>Monza and Diana; the Diana had the desmo valves.

>I destroyed the clutch and eventually gave it to the local Ducati dealer
>in the hope that at least some parts could be used to give another
>motorcycle life.
>
>https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
>
>> So here you are on auto.tech too.

>Also skiing. I'm NOTHING if not eclectic!
>
>> You see the same people everywhere, and this confirms my opinion that
>> there are really only 120 people on Usenet.

>Back when it was popular, a guy (Icelandic, maybe; certainly
>Scandinavian) named Timo Salmi was incredibly prolific -- an expert in

I remember him.

>many fields. Cute as hell -- sort of like a Nordic gnome.

I wouldn't know about that.

>> As to Harley, they're made in York Pa, not far from here, and they have
>> tours. They're expensive considering most factory tours are free IME,
>> but I'd do it except they're only on weekdays iirc, and I'm only up
>> there on occasional weekends.

>My mom's company used to make high-quality steel tubing for H-D.

Maybe I could get a tour of the steel tubing. That would be good if it
were on the weekend, great if it were free.
Old July 1st 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 07/01/2017 06:59 AM, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Mon, 26 Jun 2017 21:03:39 -0700, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>
>>On 06/26/2017 03:38 PM, micky wrote:
>>> In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 24 Jun 2017 15:30:02 -0700, The Real Bev

>>I destroyed the clutch and eventually gave it to the local Ducati dealer
>>in the hope that at least some parts could be used to give another
>>motorcycle life.
>>
>>https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
>>
>>> So here you are on auto.tech too.

>>Also skiing. I'm NOTHING if not eclectic!
>>
>>> You see the same people everywhere, and this confirms my opinion that
>>> there are really only 120 people on Usenet.

>>Back when it was popular, a guy (Icelandic, maybe; certainly
>>Scandinavian) named Timo Salmi was incredibly prolific -- an expert in

> I remember him.
>
>>many fields. Cute as hell -- sort of like a Nordic gnome.

> I wouldn't know about that.

images.google.com turns up a lot of pictures. I believe this to be THE
Timo Salmi. No reason, except long ago I found a picture of somebody
who looked like that labeled as Timo Salmi.

http://www.netikka.net/tsneti/info/TimoOnIceQ.php

>>> As to Harley, they're made in York Pa, not far from here, and they have
>>> tours. They're expensive considering most factory tours are free IME,
>>> but I'd do it except they're only on weekdays iirc, and I'm only up
>>> there on occasional weekends.

>>My mom's company used to make high-quality steel tubing for H-D.

> Maybe I could get a tour of the steel tubing. That would be good if it
> were on the weekend, great if it were free.

You have to be really thin and not subject to claustrophobia. You also
have to be able to go back maybe 20 years in the past :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"I love this country...

Old July 7th 17, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

> www.popularmechanics.com Harley Davidson wants to take over Ducati. Ducati builds some very nice motorcycles, with that desmodromic valve system.

The Ducati has that 90-degree twin. Smoother than a V-twin and narrower than a boxer-twin.

But here is a link to something less expensive than the Ducati:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTM_390_series
..
Old July 7th 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

PolicySpy > wrote in
:

>> www.popularmechanics.com Harley Davidson wants to take over Ducati.
>> Ducati builds some very nice motorcycles, with that desmodromic
>> valve system.

> The Ducati has that 90-degree twin. Smoother than a V-twin and
> narrower than a boxer-twin.
>
> But here is a link to something less expensive than the Ducati:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTM_390_series
> .

point to note, that is a V twin, its just angled differently in the frame.
KB
Old July 11th 17, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

Kevin Bottorff wrote:

> point to note, that is a V twin, its just angled differently in the frame.

No a 90-degree twin has 90 degrees between the two cylinder lines (as they run outward from the crankshaft) and that makes smoother engine balance. And smoother engine balance allows for higher RPM.

Old July 11th 17, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 7/11/2017 8:30 AM, PolicySpy wrote:
> PolicySpy wrote:
>

>>> The Ducati has that 90-degree twin. Smoother than a V-twin and
>>> narrower than a boxer-twin.
>>>

> Kevin Bottorff wrote:
>>
>> point to note, that is a V twin, its just angled differently in the frame.
>>

> PolicySpy writes:
>
> No a 90-degree twin has 90 degrees between the two cylinder lines (as they run outward from the crankshaft) and that makes smoother engine balance. And smoother engine balance allows for higher RPM.

more he
http://www.cycleworld.com/2016/02/01...ights/#page-10

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old July 12th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

AMuzi > wrote in news
> Ducati has that 90-degree twi

I will repeat, the duke has a 90 v twin. it just has the first cyl pointed
straight ahead so they like to call it a L. KB
Old July 16th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

Kevin Bottorff wrote:

> I will repeat, the duke has a 90 v twin. it just has the first cyl pointed
> straight ahead so they like to call it a L.

PolicySpy writes:

Oh I see, the poster is just insisting that 90-degrees is a "V". That I can follow but the point is the difference between the radial angles of the twin cylinder lines of the various engines which then produces different engine balance characteristics.