Make it harder to press gas pedal

Old August 20th 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default Make it harder to press gas pedal

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:45:36 -0500, "T0m $herman"
> [...]

>> So your answer to the "confusion" is to have them continue to use a
>> "system" of one foot for BOTH functions that's MORE confusing then
>> keeping the functions separate. Unbelievable.

>>> apples & oranges. I'm not driving 200+mph. ask them how they drive their regular cars. I bet they don't two foot it.
>>>

>> The point is made, you can drive BETTER by using two feet. If it
>> weren't true they wouldn't be doing it.
>>

>>> I guess you missed this statement, or you chose to ignore it.

>>> You don't tense up when in an accident situation??? The way you drive you'll be pressing on the brake & gas at the same time. Tell me I'm wrong. You can't!
>>>
>>> I know nothing I can say will change your mind. Like I said it's not about being skilled, it's about being safe.
>>>

>> Another silly bit of nonsense. So now your theory is someone will
>> "tense up" and do the wrong thing. Well gee wiz, what makes you think
>> the person using ONE foot doesn't "tense up" and mash the accelerator
>> pedal when he meant to hit the brake, or hit the brake when he meant
>> to hit the accelerator pedal.
>>
>> It's about both. Using two feet, instead of letting one of them
>> dangle uselessly, improves safety, no question about it. But it takes
>> the development of the skill, just as using one foot takes the
>> development of that skill. Neither skill is particularly difficult to
>> learn but ONE of them is easily shown to be better on two counts.
>>
>> 1 - there is LESS confusion over what to do, each foot has ONE task.
>> How many more unintended acceleration investigations do you need to
>> realize that some of you one foot drivers are killers who can't tell
>> their gas pedal from their acceleration pedal?
>>
>> 2 - if you learn the skill well, you learn to pre-position your foot
>> over teh brake in situations that had you only been using one foot you
>> would have kept it on the accelerator pedal. With two feet you can
>> keep the right foot in place, just as a one foot drive would, AND
>> pre-position the left foot. Should a problem develop you will have
>> shaved a portion of a second off your reaction-action time for
>> braking. When every second at 60 mph means 88 feet of travel, even
>> shaving a quarter second off the reaction-action time means you stop
>> 22 feet sooner then that guy using just the one foot will do. This is
>> the same benefit the F1 Drivers are using.
>>
>> And no, nothing you will say will change my mind because I am skilled
>> at driving either way and know from decades of experience that using
>> two feet when you have them available makes for safer driving then
>> letting the left foot sit on the floor uselessly while you yank your
>> right foot back and forth back and forth back and forth.
>>

>Most of my driving is with a manual transmission (which I learned on),
>so my unconscious emergency braking response is going to be using my
>right foot. Having my left foot in the way is not a good idea.

I've never suggested left foot braking when driving a manual
transmission. If nothing else, the pedal position would be all
screwed up for doing it. In an earlier thread on this seemingly
simple issue it was suggested that somehow normal people in normal
driving need to keep their left foot "free" so they can jam it down
and wedge it against the floor and kick panel to hold themselves into
position for "better control" when they are doing 360's down the
interstate.
Old August 20th 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/19/2013 8:59 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:45:36 -0500, "T0m $herman"
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/19/2013 7:23 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 05:22:01 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a

>>> So your answer to the "confusion" is to have them continue to use a
>>> "system" of one foot for BOTH functions that's MORE confusing then
>>> keeping the functions separate. Unbelievable.

>>> The point is made, you can drive BETTER by using two feet. If it
>>> weren't true they wouldn't be doing it.

>>> Another silly bit of nonsense. So now your theory is someone will
>>> "tense up" and do the wrong thing. Well gee wiz, what makes you think
>>> the person using ONE foot doesn't "tense up" and mash the accelerator
>>> pedal when he meant to hit the brake, or hit the brake when he meant
>>> to hit the accelerator pedal.
>>>
>>> It's about both. Using two feet, instead of letting one of them
>>> dangle uselessly, improves safety, no question about it. But it takes
>>> the development of the skill, just as using one foot takes the
>>> development of that skill. Neither skill is particularly difficult to
>>> learn but ONE of them is easily shown to be better on two counts.
>>>
>>> 1 - there is LESS confusion over what to do, each foot has ONE task.
>>> How many more unintended acceleration investigations do you need to
>>> realize that some of you one foot drivers are killers who can't tell
>>> their gas pedal from their acceleration pedal?
>>>
>>> 2 - if you learn the skill well, you learn to pre-position your foot
>>> over teh brake in situations that had you only been using one foot you
>>> would have kept it on the accelerator pedal. With two feet you can
>>> keep the right foot in place, just as a one foot drive would, AND
>>> pre-position the left foot. Should a problem develop you will have
>>> shaved a portion of a second off your reaction-action time for
>>> braking. When every second at 60 mph means 88 feet of travel, even
>>> shaving a quarter second off the reaction-action time means you stop
>>> 22 feet sooner then that guy using just the one foot will do. This is
>>> the same benefit the F1 Drivers are using.
>>>
>>> And no, nothing you will say will change my mind because I am skilled
>>> at driving either way and know from decades of experience that using
>>> two feet when you have them available makes for safer driving then
>>> letting the left foot sit on the floor uselessly while you yank your
>>> right foot back and forth back and forth back and forth.
>>>

>> Most of my driving is with a manual transmission (which I learned on),
>> so my unconscious emergency braking response is going to be using my
>> right foot. Having my left foot in the way is not a good idea.

> I've never suggested left foot braking when driving a manual
> transmission.

Not my contention, as should be clear from the context.

> If nothing else, the pedal position would be all
> screwed up for doing it. In an earlier thread on this seemingly
> simple issue it was suggested that somehow normal people in normal
> driving need to keep their left foot "free" so they can jam it down
> and wedge it against the floor and kick panel to hold themselves into
> position for "better control" when they are doing 360's down the
> interstate.

No dead pedal?

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 20th 13, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

> So your answer to the "confusion" is to have them continue to use a
>
> "system" of one foot for BOTH functions that's MORE confusing then
>
> keeping the functions separate. Unbelievable.

What confusion? 95% of the world drives this way. I've never gotten either pedal confused. You can get just as confused with two feet. Especially as you get older. This is proven!

> >apples & oranges. I'm not driving 200+mph. ask them how they drive their regular cars. I bet they don't two foot it.

> The point is made, you can drive BETTER by using two feet. If it
>
> weren't true they wouldn't be doing it.

Again ask them how they are driving they regular cars. we aren't driving 200+ mph. they are also trained professionals. they aren't jumping from a manual to an automatic.

What you fail to realize just because you drive very well with two feet doesn't mean everyone else will. The majority of the people will be riding their brakes & gas pedals. It's also proven that elderly people tend to get more confused so if they drive with two feet, they are more likely to press the wrong pedal.

> >I guess you missed this statement, or you chose to ignore it.

> >>Two-footed driving is extremely dangerous because during emergency maneuvers, the driver may inadvertently step on the wrong pedal, or step on both simultaneously. In a crisis, we automatically do what we’ve been trained to do. If you’ve made it a habit to use your left foot for braking, then that’s what your brain will opt to do when trouble arises – and that mistake can be fatal.

> >You don't tense up when in an accident situation??? The way you drive you'll be pressing on the brake & gas at the same time. Tell me I'm wrong. You can't!

> >I know nothing I can say will change your mind. Like I said it's not about being skilled, it's about being safe.

> Another silly bit of nonsense. So now your theory is someone will
>
> "tense up" and do the wrong thing. Well gee wiz, what makes you think
>
> the person using ONE foot doesn't "tense up" and mash the accelerator
>
> pedal when he meant to hit the brake, or hit the brake when he meant
>
> to hit the accelerator pedal.

My normal reaction is to press the brake and use my left leg to brace myself. I've never gotten the pedals mixed up.

> It's about both. Using two feet, instead of letting one of them
>
> dangle uselessly, improves safety, no question about it. But it takes
>
> the development of the skill, just as using one foot takes the
>
> development of that skill. Neither skill is particularly difficult to
>
> learn but ONE of them is easily shown to be better on two counts.

this is your opinion. Maybe one day it'll be true.

> 1 - there is LESS confusion over what to do, each foot has ONE task.
>
> How many more unintended acceleration investigations do you need to
>
> realize that some of you one foot drivers are killers who can't tell
>
> their gas pedal from their acceleration pedal?

so 95% of the world is driving improperly? Get real.

> 2 - if you learn the skill well, you learn to pre-position your foot
>
> over teh brake in situations that had you only been using one foot you
>
> would have kept it on the accelerator pedal. With two feet you can
>
> keep the right foot in place, just as a one foot drive would, AND
>
> pre-position the left foot. Should a problem develop you will have
>
> shaved a portion of a second off your reaction-action time for
>
> braking. When every second at 60 mph means 88 feet of travel, even
>
> shaving a quarter second off the reaction-action time means you stop
>
> 22 feet sooner then that guy using just the one foot will do. This is
>
> the same benefit the F1 Drivers are using.

LIke I said, the majority of the people will be riding their brakes. It's a nice theory though.

> And no, nothing you will say will change my mind because I am skilled
>
> at driving either way and know from decades of experience that using
>
> two feet when you have them available makes for safer driving then
>
> letting the left foot sit on the floor uselessly while you yank your
>
> right foot back and forth back and forth back and forth.

You drive your way, and I'll drive mine.. Remember you are in the minority, so something must be wrong with that way of driving or they would teach two feet driving to everyone.
Old August 21st 13, 11:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:08:05 AM UTC+3, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:58:33 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
>
> > wrote:

> >> If it's an automatic just teach him to brake with his left foot.

> >> Faster reaction time and he won't press teh wrong pedal by mistake.

> >hmm.. left side brake, right side gas. Teach them their left from their right and you won't have any problems.

> >Two foot driving also isn't a good idea. Ever hear of riding the brakes? two foot drivers love doing this.

> Two foot driving is an excellent idea. Just because 2% of some group
>
> do something badly doesn't mean no one should do it. A lot of people
>
> who drive manual transmissions ride the clutch - would you advise that
>
> NO ONE every buy a manual transmission car?

I'd advise that noone buys a stick if the dead pedal setup is dumb.
Me I'd prefer no dead pedal at all with left foot floating in the vast
spaces left of the clutch pedal but if dead pedal rest is recessed far enough
that's fine too.

I guess an adjustable dead pedal is a good way to please just about any driver.
Do you wanna car with 4 petals?
Old August 21st 13, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_3_]

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 06:56:59 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
> wrote:

>> So your answer to the "confusion" is to have them continue to use a
>>
>> "system" of one foot for BOTH functions that's MORE confusing then
>>
>> keeping the functions separate. Unbelievable.
>>

>What confusion? 95% of the world drives this way. I've never gotten either pedal confused. You can get just as confused with two feet. Especially as you get older. This is proven!

Who do you think keeps driving thru the front of stores? It's proven.
They say "I was pushing on the BRAKE" and yet the evidence is clear,
they were pushing on the accelerator, that's why the engine revved up,
the car raced forward, and they crashed thru the store.

>> >apples & oranges. I'm not driving 200+mph. ask them how they drive their regular cars. I bet they don't two foot it.

>> The point is made, you can drive BETTER by using two feet. If it
>>
>> weren't true they wouldn't be doing it.
>>

>Again ask them how they are driving they regular cars. we aren't driving 200+ mph. they are also trained professionals. they aren't jumping from a manual to an automatic.
>
>What you fail to realize just because you drive very well with two feet doesn't mean everyone else will. The majority of the people will be riding their brakes & gas pedals. It's also proven that elderly people tend to get more confused so if they drive with two feet, they are more likely to press the wrong pedal.
>>
>> >I guess you missed this statement, or you chose to ignore it.

>> >You don't tense up when in an accident situation??? The way you drive you'll be pressing on the brake & gas at the same time. Tell me I'm wrong. You can't!

>> >I know nothing I can say will change your mind. Like I said it's not about being skilled, it's about being safe.

>> Another silly bit of nonsense. So now your theory is someone will
>>
>> "tense up" and do the wrong thing. Well gee wiz, what makes you think
>>
>> the person using ONE foot doesn't "tense up" and mash the accelerator
>>
>> pedal when he meant to hit the brake, or hit the brake when he meant
>>
>> to hit the accelerator pedal.
>>

>My normal reaction is to press the brake and use my left leg to brace myself. I've never gotten the pedals mixed up.

Nor have I. So what? That doesn't mean you couldn't drive better if
you used BOTH feet.

>> It's about both. Using two feet, instead of letting one of them
>>
>> dangle uselessly, improves safety, no question about it. But it takes
>>
>> the development of the skill, just as using one foot takes the
>>
>> development of that skill. Neither skill is particularly difficult to
>>
>> learn but ONE of them is easily shown to be better on two counts.
>>

>this is your opinion. Maybe one day it'll be true.

IT's true whether you, or I, or anyone else does it or not. Just as
the benefit of launching properly in drag race is "true" whether
people learn that skill or not. The ones who learn it win ore races.
The ones who learn to use BOTH feet and maximize their abilities can
drive better. Doesn't mean they will. Apparently you feel you are
not capable of learning the skill of using both feet and using that
skill safely. That's certainly your choice. You know your
limitations better than I do so if you say you are incapable I believe
you.

>> 1 - there is LESS confusion over what to do, each foot has ONE task.
>>
>> How many more unintended acceleration investigations do you need to
>>
>> realize that some of you one foot drivers are killers who can't tell
>>
>> their gas pedal from their acceleration pedal?
>>

>so 95% of the world is driving improperly? Get real.

I never said improperly. They are driving at a capacity that is less
than most of them are capable of achieving. Somme people are content
to be less than they could be. You appear to be one of them.

>> 2 - if you learn the skill well, you learn to pre-position your foot
>>
>> over teh brake in situations that had you only been using one foot you
>>
>> would have kept it on the accelerator pedal. With two feet you can
>>
>> keep the right foot in place, just as a one foot drive would, AND
>>
>> pre-position the left foot. Should a problem develop you will have
>>
>> shaved a portion of a second off your reaction-action time for
>>
>> braking. When every second at 60 mph means 88 feet of travel, even
>>
>> shaving a quarter second off the reaction-action time means you stop
>>
>> 22 feet sooner then that guy using just the one foot will do. This is
>>
>> the same benefit the F1 Drivers are using.
>>

>LIke I said, the majority of the people will be riding their brakes. It's a nice theory though.

That's just BS you use to justify your lack of skill. I don't see one
in 100,000 people ride their brake. Next you'll be saying radio's
should be outlawed in cars because some guy you saw once somewhere
someplace ran out of his lane and you *think* it was because he was
tunning his radio.

>> And no, nothing you will say will change my mind because I am skilled
>>
>> at driving either way and know from decades of experience that using
>>
>> two feet when you have them available makes for safer driving then
>>
>> letting the left foot sit on the floor uselessly while you yank your
>>
>> right foot back and forth back and forth back and forth.

>You drive your way, and I'll drive mine.. Remember you are in the minority, so something must be wrong with that way of driving or they would teach two feet driving to everyone.

I've never said otherwise. I just was pointing out that most people
fail to achieve their maximum potential. You seem happy to be in that
group. Do the rest of your driving skills mirror the same "It's good
enough to get by" attitude? Cuz if your point is, and it seems to be,
that most peoples skills are "good enough to get by" I won't argue
that point.

And yes, I am in the minority of drivers who have enough interest in
driving that I want to maximize my skills at using the equipment I'm
driving. You're one of the very few people I've run into who thinks
trying to excel at something is a bad thing and would advise others
not to try.
Old August 21st 13, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Ashton Crusher > wrote:

>Who do you think keeps driving thru the front of stores? It's proven.
>They say "I was pushing on the BRAKE" and yet the evidence is clear,
>they were pushing on the accelerator, that's why the engine revved up,
>the car raced forward, and they crashed thru the store.

Yes, but these are the same people who press the brake pedal on the highway
and get rear-ended because they thought they were pushing on the gas.

I don't think the problem is the user interface. I don't think the problem
is limited to just the gas pedal. I think the problem is simply that some
people are not competent to drive.
--scott

Old August 22nd 13, 11:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:25:46 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 06:56:59 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
>
> > wrote:
>

> >> So your answer to the "confusion" is to have them continue to use a

> >> "system" of one foot for BOTH functions that's MORE confusing then

> >> keeping the functions separate. Unbelievable.

> >What confusion? 95% of the world drives this way. I've never gotten either pedal confused. You can get just as confused with two feet. Especially as you get older. This is proven!

> Who do you think keeps driving thru the front of stores? It's proven.
>
> They say "I was pushing on the BRAKE" and yet the evidence is clear,
>
> they were pushing on the accelerator, that's why the engine revved up,
>
> the car raced forward, and they crashed thru the store.

Again the majority of the people are elderly. You make it sound like their is no way someone can get confused using two feet when in fact people get their left & right mixed up all of the time.

> >> The point is made, you can drive BETTER by using two feet. If it

> >> weren't true they wouldn't be doing it.

> >Again ask them how they are driving they regular cars. we aren't driving 200+ mph. they are also trained professionals. they aren't jumping from a manual to an automatic.

> >What you fail to realize just because you drive very well with two feet doesn't mean everyone else will. The majority of the people will be riding their brakes & gas pedals. It's also proven that elderly people tend to get more confused so if they drive with two feet, they are more likely to press the wrong pedal.

> >> Another silly bit of nonsense. So now your theory is someone will

> >> "tense up" and do the wrong thing. Well gee wiz, what makes you think

> >> the person using ONE foot doesn't "tense up" and mash the accelerator

> >> pedal when he meant to hit the brake, or hit the brake when he meant

> >> to hit the accelerator pedal.

Hmmm I've never heard of people in auto accidents saying I hit the gas instead of the brake. When I tense up in an accident situation I do tense up with my right foot on the brake and my left foot is tensed up on the floorboard for support. with your driving style you have no way to support your self besides mashing the brake pedal with your left foot. So, is your right foot just going to sit there and do nothing?? Chances are it will also tense up mashing the gas pedal.

> >My normal reaction is to press the brake and use my left leg to brace myself. I've never gotten the pedals mixed up.

> Nor have I. So what? That doesn't mean you couldn't drive better if
>
> you used BOTH feet.
>

> >> It's about both. Using two feet, instead of letting one of them

> >> dangle uselessly, improves safety, no question about it. But it takes

> >> the development of the skill, just as using one foot takes the

> >> development of that skill. Neither skill is particularly difficult to

> >> learn but ONE of them is easily shown to be better on two counts.

> >this is your opinion. Maybe one day it'll be true.

> IT's true whether you, or I, or anyone else does it or not. Just as
>
> the benefit of launching properly in drag race is "true" whether
>
> people learn that skill or not. The ones who learn it win ore races.
>
> The ones who learn to use BOTH feet and maximize their abilities can
>
> drive better. Doesn't mean they will. Apparently you feel you are
>
> not capable of learning the skill of using both feet and using that
>
> skill safely. That's certainly your choice. You know your
>
> limitations better than I do so if you say you are incapable I believe
>
> you.

Christ again you are comparing apples to oranges.

I'm perfectly capable of learning to drive with two feet, but I feel it's not safer.

Here is an example:
I went to dinner last night and my friend drove. I happened to look down and he's using his left foot on the brake. At the traffic light he was real jerky with the brake & gas (I noticed he was pressing them both a couple of times at the same time while waiting to make a left turn). I didn't feel safe.

Again their is a reason drivers ed doesn't teach two foot driving. You just don't want to accept that.

> >> 1 - there is LESS confusion over what to do, each foot has ONE task.

> >> How many more unintended acceleration investigations do you need to

> >> realize that some of you one foot drivers are killers who can't tell

> >> their gas pedal from their acceleration pedal?

> >so 95% of the world is driving improperly? Get real.

> I never said improperly. They are driving at a capacity that is less
>
> than most of them are capable of achieving. Somme people are content
>
> to be less than they could be. You appear to be one of them.

> >> 2 - if you learn the skill well, you learn to pre-position your foot

> >> over teh brake in situations that had you only been using one foot you

> >> would have kept it on the accelerator pedal. With two feet you can

> >> keep the right foot in place, just as a one foot drive would, AND

> >> pre-position the left foot. Should a problem develop you will have

> >> shaved a portion of a second off your reaction-action time for

> >> braking. When every second at 60 mph means 88 feet of travel, even

> >> shaving a quarter second off the reaction-action time means you stop

> >> 22 feet sooner then that guy using just the one foot will do. This is

> >> the same benefit the F1 Drivers are using.

> >LIke I said, the majority of the people will be riding their brakes. It's a nice theory though.

> That's just BS you use to justify your lack of skill. I don't see one
>
> in 100,000 people ride their brake. Next you'll be saying radio's
>
> should be outlawed in cars because some guy you saw once somewhere
>
> someplace ran out of his lane and you *think* it was because he was
>
> tunning his radio.

you don't see people riding their brakes because NO ONE is using two feet!

You must also think cell phone use while driving is ok too, right? Distracted driving is distracted driving.

> >> And no, nothing you will say will change my mind because I am skilled

> >> at driving either way and know from decades of experience that using

> >> two feet when you have them available makes for safer driving then

> >> letting the left foot sit on the floor uselessly while you yank your

> >> right foot back and forth back and forth back and forth.

> >You drive your way, and I'll drive mine.. Remember you are in the minority, so something must be wrong with that way of driving or they would teach two feet driving to everyone.

> I've never said otherwise. I just was pointing out that most people
>
> fail to achieve their maximum potential. You seem happy to be in that
>
> group. Do the rest of your driving skills mirror the same "It's good
>
> enough to get by" attitude? Cuz if your point is, and it seems to be,
>
> that most peoples skills are "good enough to get by" I won't argue
>
> that point.
>

> And yes, I am in the minority of drivers who have enough interest in
>
> driving that I want to maximize my skills at using the equipment I'm
>
> driving. You're one of the very few people I've run into who thinks
>
> trying to excel at something is a bad thing and would advise others
>
> not to try.

start holding a picket sign telling everyone to drive with two feet. Maybe you'll get your way one day.
Old August 24th 13, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

m6onz5a wrote:

> On Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:08:05 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:58:33 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >hmm.. left side brake, right side gas. Teach them their left from their
>> >right and you won't have any problems.

>> >Two foot driving also isn't a good idea. Ever hear of riding the
>> >brakes? two foot drivers love doing this.

>> Two foot driving is an excellent idea. Just because 2% of some group
>>
>> do something badly doesn't mean no one should do it. A lot of people
>>
>> who drive manual transmissions ride the clutch - would you advise that
>>
>> NO ONE every buy a manual transmission car?

> I could care less about someone riding the clutch, if they want to burn up
> their clutch more power to them, but when your left foot keeps touching
> the brake pedal your brake lights keep flickering which is very annoying
> to the person behind that two foot driver. Some two foot drivers keep
> their left foot on the brake pedal so your brake lights are constantly on.

And dragging the brakes can heat them up and cause them to fade when you
really need them.

I've driven behind a few people riding their brakes and I can smell the hot
brake pads.

--
Paul Hovnanian
If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,

Old August 24th 13, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 8/17/2013 3:39 AM, m6onz5a wrote:

> I could care less about someone riding the clutch, if they want to burn up their clutch more power to them, but when your left foot keeps touching the brake pedal your brake lights keep flickering which is very annoying to the person behind that two foot driver. Some two foot drivers keep their left foot on the brake pedal so your brake lights are constantly on.

Why is it annoying if the guy in front keeps flickering the brake light?
Guys like that tend to do all kinds of goofy and crazy things. I keep my
distance and wait to see if they do anything really dumb. It's guys like
that who make driving fun.

Old August 24th 13, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

> >You don't tense up when in an accident situation??? The way you drive you'll be pressing on the brake & gas at the same time. Tell me I'm wrong. You can't!

> >I know nothing I can say will change your mind. Like I said it's not about being skilled, it's about being safe.

> Another silly bit of nonsense. So now your theory is someone will
>
> "tense up" and do the wrong thing. Well gee wiz, what makes you think
>
> the person using ONE foot doesn't "tense up" and mash the accelerator
>
> pedal when he meant to hit the brake, or hit the brake when he meant
>
> to hit the accelerator pedal.
>

> It's about both. Using two feet, instead of letting one of them
>
> dangle uselessly, improves safety, no question about it. But it takes
>
> the development of the skill, just as using one foot takes the
>
> development of that skill. Neither skill is particularly difficult to
>
> learn but ONE of them is easily shown to be better on two counts.
>

> 1 - there is LESS confusion over what to do, each foot has ONE task.
>
> How many more unintended acceleration investigations do you need to
>
> realize that some of you one foot drivers are killers who can't tell
>
> their gas pedal from their acceleration pedal?
>

> 2 - if you learn the skill well, you learn to pre-position your foot
>
> over teh brake in situations that had you only been using one foot you
>
> would have kept it on the accelerator pedal. With two feet you can
>
> keep the right foot in place, just as a one foot drive would, AND
>
> pre-position the left foot. Should a problem develop you will have
>
> shaved a portion of a second off your reaction-action time for
>
> braking. When every second at 60 mph means 88 feet of travel, even
>
> shaving a quarter second off the reaction-action time means you stop
>
> 22 feet sooner then that guy using just the one foot will do. This is
>
> the same benefit the F1 Drivers are using.
>

> And no, nothing you will say will change my mind because I am skilled
>
> at driving either way and know from decades of experience that using
>
> two feet when you have them available makes for safer driving then
>
> letting the left foot sit on the floor uselessly while you yank your
>
> right foot back and forth back and forth back and forth.

I decided to do a little test.

I drove with both feet to get a feel of what you're talking about. I came to the conclusion that it was real uncomfortable having my left foot covering the brake constantly. I wanted to rest my foot either on the brake pedal, or move it away to a more comfortable spot. So, by me moving it away my reaction time wouldn't be any better than if I used my right foot on the brake pedal.

I seriously doubt you keep the brake pedal covered every second you're driving.