FWD cars ruin brick paving?

Old August 5th 13, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default FWD cars ruin brick paving?

On 08/04/2013 05:24 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/3/2013 2:32 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>
>> There is logic to it. FWD cars make the front wheels do both the
>> propelling and the steering. Trucks period cause most road damage. A
>> typical 18 Wheeler causes as much damage as about 4000 cars/pickup do.
>> It's not because of the non-steerable axles. The single axle, single
>> wheels up front on the cab that do the steering on the semi are more
>> damaging (relative to the weight being carried) then the other dual
>> wheel non-steerable axles.
>>

> Per AASHTO 1993, a fully loaded garbage truck is equal to about 9,500
> sub 2-ton passenger vehicles for pavement damage.

ok tom, we know you're the highway engineer - where in your opinion
could this "fwd" thing come from?

--
fact check required
Old August 5th 13, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/04/2013 05:27 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/3/2013 11:24 PM, jim beam wrote:
>> On 08/03/2013 07:45 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

>>> I believe that's also true. The twisting force on the front wheels
>>> try's to make them turn, esp when backing up.
>>>

>> you guys are something else. on fwd, the drive forces are directly in
>> the plane of the steering wheels. on rwd they're not, and the steering
>> wheels can have considerable side forces on them.
>>
>> now, how about y'all discuss ways in which bricks can move? because if
>> they can't, you can drive tanks on them all day without any problems.
>>

> There are special brick paved yards for bulk items such as aggregate and
> coal that hold up well to 30-ton wheel-loaders that steer by center
> pivot, as well as bulldozers and track-loaders.

right, but we have people somehow concerned that their accord/camry
might wreck their driveway. assuming they have actually witnessed such
a thing, is there any explanation possible other than poor setting?

--
fact check required
Old August 5th 13, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/4/2013 10:10 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 08/04/2013 05:24 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>> On 8/3/2013 2:32 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>>
>>> There is logic to it. FWD cars make the front wheels do both the
>>> propelling and the steering. Trucks period cause most road damage. A
>>> typical 18 Wheeler causes as much damage as about 4000 cars/pickup do.
>>> It's not because of the non-steerable axles. The single axle, single
>>> wheels up front on the cab that do the steering on the semi are more
>>> damaging (relative to the weight being carried) then the other dual
>>> wheel non-steerable axles.
>>>

>> Per AASHTO 1993, a fully loaded garbage truck is equal to about 9,500
>> sub 2-ton passenger vehicles for pavement damage.
>>

> ok tom, we know you're the highway engineer - where in your opinion
> could this "fwd" thing come from?

No idea - urban legend?

Unless people are driving FWD cars with locked differentials, but I have
only seen those at the track (for obvious reasons).

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 5th 13, 08:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 06:53:08 -0700 (PDT), JR >
wrote:

>On Saturday, August 3, 2013 11:24:55 PM UTC-5, jim beam wrote:
>> On 08/03/2013 07:45 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

>> > I believe that's also true. The twisting force on the front wheels

>> > try's to make them turn, esp when backing up.

>> you guys are something else. on fwd, the drive forces are directly in
>>
>> the plane of the steering wheels. on rwd they're not, and the steering
>>
>> wheels can have considerable side forces on them.
>>

>> now, how about y'all discuss ways in which bricks can move? because if
>>
>> they can't, you can drive tanks on them all day without any problems.
>>

>> --
>>
>> fact check required

>There are brick/cobblestone streets in Europe that are over 100 years old, and front wheel drive cars galore. I wonder how well those streets are holding up?

Those are built quite a bit differently then a simple brick driveway
for a house. And at that they do require maintenance.
Old August 5th 13, 08:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 19:24:46 -0500, "T0m $herman"
> wrote:

>On 8/3/2013 2:32 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>
>> There is logic to it. FWD cars make the front wheels do both the
>> propelling and the steering. Trucks period cause most road damage. A
>> typical 18 Wheeler causes as much damage as about 4000 cars/pickup do.
>> It's not because of the non-steerable axles. The single axle, single
>> wheels up front on the cab that do the steering on the semi are more
>> damaging (relative to the weight being carried) then the other dual
>> wheel non-steerable axles.
>>

>Per AASHTO 1993, a fully loaded garbage truck is equal to about 9,500
>sub 2-ton passenger vehicles for pavement damage.

That's true, garbage trucks are typically far far more damaging then
just about any other legal truck that doesn't require a special
permit. That's because in order for them to have the needed turning
radius and backup capability they have to use as few axles as possible
but they still want to be able to load them to the gills. So they have
VERY high axle loads.
Old August 5th 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/05/2013 12:09 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 06:53:08 -0700 (PDT), JR >
> wrote:

>>> you guys are something else. on fwd, the drive forces are directly in
>>>
>>> the plane of the steering wheels. on rwd they're not, and the steering
>>>
>>> wheels can have considerable side forces on them.
>>>

>>> now, how about y'all discuss ways in which bricks can move? because if
>>>
>>> they can't, you can drive tanks on them all day without any problems.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> fact check required

>> There are brick/cobblestone streets in Europe that are over 100 years old, and front wheel drive cars galore. I wonder how well those streets are holding up?

> Those are built quite a bit differently then a simple brick driveway
> for a house.

and that's your answer - it's nothing to do with fwd.

look into the difference between sharp and soft sand, and also consider
the difference both the depth and the parallelism of the brick sides
make = in storms, trees in the middle of a forest don't suffer as much
damage as those on the edges - their touching canopies reinforce each other.

> And at that they do require maintenance.

yet some last, under very heavy loads, many decades.

--
fact check required
Old August 5th 13, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, August 5, 2013 9:42:36 AM UTC-5, jim beam wrote:
> On 08/05/2013 12:09 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 06:53:08 -0700 (PDT), JR >

> > wrote:

> >> There are brick/cobblestone streets in Europe that are over 100 years old, and front wheel drive cars galore. I wonder how well those streets are holding up?

> > Those are built quite a bit differently then a simple brick driveway

> > for a house.

> and that's your answer - it's nothing to do with fwd.
>

> look into the difference between sharp and soft sand, and also consider
>
> the difference both the depth and the parallelism of the brick sides
>
> make = in storms, trees in the middle of a forest don't suffer as much
>
> damage as those on the edges - their touching canopies reinforce each other.
>

> > And at that they do require maintenance.

> yet some last, under very heavy loads, many decades.
>

> --
>
> fact check required

About eight years ago a garbage truck broke down in front of my house, I stepped over there and asked them if they want to use some of my tools to get it going. In Japan they have little bitty garbage trucks. Google,,, Japanese garbage trucks.