Which of these 4 spots (2 on tire, 2 on wheel) are supposed to belined up?

Old July 15th 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
blue bmw

Default Which of these 4 spots (2 on tire, 2 on wheel) are supposed to belined up?

I'm confused - but I have an appointment tomorrow for tires to be mounted
- and - I'm confused which two of the four dots should line up:
http://i43.tinypic.com/dcfrea.jpg

Both documents below say US wheel manufacturers and tire manufacturers
are *required* to mark the "low spot" and "high spot" respectively.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=17
http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1304

On the back of my stock 16" BMW (BBS) rims, is this nick painted white,
which I presume is the marked "low spot" (which, you may notice, is not
at the valve stem):
http://i42.tinypic.com/24w54cj.jpg

Yet, on the tires, I see both a red dot and a yellow dot!
RED = (apparently the) high point of radial runout on the tire
YELLOW = (apparently the) light point (with respect to balance) on the tire

So, that makes FOUR separate spots, two on the wheel and two on the ti
1. Wheel valve stem
2. Wheel white nick (presumably that's the low spot
3. Tire red dot (presumably that's the high spot)
4. Tire yellow dot (presumably that's the light point)

OK. Now what should I tell the installer to line up?

Q1: What two spots (of those four) should line up?
Q2: Should they remove all these weights first?
http://i39.tinypic.com/2q0o9xl.jpg

Old July 15th 13, 04:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
blue bmw

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 20:22:24 -0700, wrote:

> If this will be done by a tire shop, they should know what to do!!!

The problem is they don't care - and - if I don't tell them what to do,
they won't do it.

Proof is that they torque all cars to 100 foot pounds (just ask them);
and they put in the same air pressure in all four tires (BMW doesn't
spec it that way); and the alignment shops don't add 500 pounds of weight
(BMW does spec it that way); and they rotate the tires (BMW doesn't
spec out a rotation), etc.

Point is, the guy installing tires, in my humble experience, may or
may not know how.

Sure, you'd *think* they'd know - but - I've asked them in the past
and had to show them articles on how to mount them - but I've never
seen both the red dot and the yellow dot on the same tire nor the
valve stem not being the corresponding spot on the wheels.

So, in summary - the tire installers do *not* care about properly installing
tires (just like the alignment guys don't add the required 500 pounds of weight,
150 in the driver seat, 150 in the passenger seat, 150 in the back seat, and
50 in the rear (plus a full tank of gas, new'ish tires, and proper air pressure).

They don't care. So, we must be armed beforehand with the knowledge.

Isn't that what this group is all about?

Old July 15th 13, 05:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tony Hwang

blue bmw wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 20:22:24 -0700, wrote:
>
>> If this will be done by a tire shop, they should know what to do!!!

> The problem is they don't care - and - if I don't tell them what to do,
> they won't do it.
>
> Proof is that they torque all cars to 100 foot pounds (just ask them);
> and they put in the same air pressure in all four tires (BMW doesn't
> spec it that way); and the alignment shops don't add 500 pounds of weight
> (BMW does spec it that way); and they rotate the tires (BMW doesn't
> spec out a rotation), etc.
>
> Point is, the guy installing tires, in my humble experience, may or
> may not know how.
>
> Sure, you'd *think* they'd know - but - I've asked them in the past
> and had to show them articles on how to mount them - but I've never
> seen both the red dot and the yellow dot on the same tire nor the
> valve stem not being the corresponding spot on the wheels.
>
> So, in summary - the tire installers do *not* care about properly installing
> tires (just like the alignment guys don't add the required 500 pounds of weight,
> 150 in the driver seat, 150 in the passenger seat, 150 in the back seat, and
> 50 in the rear (plus a full tank of gas, new'ish tires, and proper air pressure).
>
> They don't care. So, we must be armed beforehand with the knowledge.
>
> Isn't that what this group is all about?

Hi.
You drive BMW and not going to the dealer? And how come you go to a tire
shop you don't trust? My friend has a year old M5, all service is does
by local dealer always Period. My kid drives late Subaru WRX STI
very souped up one. He only goes to tuner shop for any service. If the
shop screw up their reputation is at stake. Once they did a fuel line
work and when son came home I noticed fuel leak in the garage(one O ring
was not properly seated) When phoned they sent flat bed tow truck,
they did not want the car to be driven for fear of fire.

They redid the work with no charge and profuse apology for inconvenience
caused. After all they are the one who tuned the car top to bottom
including set of summer and winter tires.

If you don't want to take your BMW to a tire shop you can't trust then
you should drive something like CBMWs are very precision machine that is
why they are expensive. Me? I just drive Acura which the dealer does
all the schedule routine maintenance. Never had any problem.

If I want BMW I'd lease one and beat the hell out of it and return it
when lease is up. That's best way to drive a car like that. Keeping it
long and in shape, it is pouring resources to bottomless can..... New
ones are not like old ones either.
Tried Bimmer user forum?
Old July 15th 13, 06:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Eddie Powalski

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:54:25 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

> My friend has a year old M5, all service is does
> by local dealer always Period.

If it's still only a year old, the service is free at the dealer.
Even a cheapskate would go to the dealer under that circumstance.

Old July 15th 13, 06:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
blue bmw

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:54:25 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

> You drive BMW and not going to the dealer?

What kind of stereotype is that?
A BMW is just a car.

And, ummmm... you know what they call the dealer?
Hint: It starts with "st".

Only a moron goes to the dealer, and even then, only because
it makes that moron feel better to pay more. They love to brag
how they go to the (st)...ealer for all their maintenance. It
makes *them* feel important.

> And how come you go to a tire shop you don't trust?

I've *never* found a tire shop I could trust.
They *all* torque the lug bolts to the same for all cars.
They *all* use air tools (for speed) and only check torque
after the fact (when the bolts no longer turn, which means
it's too late).
They *all* put the same tire pressure in all four tires.
None of them match mount unless you force them to.
etc.

> My friend has a year old M5, all service is does
> by local dealer always Period.

Your friend is spending far more money than most people
for far less service. But, the coffee is free, the lounge
air conditioned, and the service manager all smiles!

> My kid drives late Subaru WRX STI very souped up one.

Ummmm... why not just answer the question?
If you don't know the answer to the question, that's OK,
but, why not just say so?

> I just drive Acura which the dealer does all the schedule
> routine maintenance. Never had any problem.

I won't say what I'm thinking!

> If I want BMW I'd lease one and beat the hell out of it

A BMW is simply a car. Are you falling for all the marketing
braggadocio? It's a nice handling car. But, it's just a car.
There's nothing special about it (except the marketing is
fantastic. It has people *thinking* it's special). That's a
great feat - but - for those who understand it (I bought mine
new), it's just a car. Like any other car.

Specifically, it has wheels. Like any other car has wheels.

The question remains:
Does *anyone* on this newsgroup actually know how to properly
mount a tire with respect to the dots?

I've read the articles - but it's confusing when there is both
a red dot and a yellow dot. I'm hoping I'm not the only one on
this planet who thinks about this stuff ahead of time.

Old July 15th 13, 06:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Cary

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:54:25 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

> New ones are not like old ones either.
> Tried Bimmer user forum?

The only difference with bimmer wheels and normal car wheels is most
cages have steel and most (all?) BMWs have (BBS) aluminum wheels.

Which means it's even more important to get it right.

Unfortunately, almost nobody here knows how to mount tires so they
blindly trust the tire shops who don't give a chit.

Since nobody is watching the henhouse, they take you for the ride.

I doubt anyone on this ng knows how to mount tires properly, unless
they've been trained as a tire professional. And, if they are, they'll
tell you that 90% of all tires are put on incorrectly. That's a fact.

The proof is as simple as asking a tire shop the same question you
are asking here. You'll get 20 different answers, none of them right.

BTW, you really need a beemer group, not a bimmer group since the beemer
guys mount their own tires.

Old July 15th 13, 06:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
ChairMan

blue bmw > wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 20:22:24 -0700,
> wrote:
>
>> If this will be done by a tire shop, they should know
>> what to do!!!

..

> Isn't that what this group is all about?

No, this group is about HOME repair, not car repair or tires

Old July 15th 13, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Vic Smith

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 03:15:52 +0000 (UTC), blue bmw
> wrote:

>I'm confused - but I have an appointment tomorrow for tires to be mounted
>- and - I'm confused which two of the four dots should line up:
>http://i43.tinypic.com/dcfrea.jpg

Those dots are unscientific and meaningless.
Get your tires balanced by a shop that does road force balancing.
The operator won't pay any attention to the dots.
If he's good, you'll be good.
If not, take it back.

Old July 15th 13, 07:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
blue bmw

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:08:47 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

> Get your tires balanced by a shop that does road force balancing.

I don't disagree that road force balancing is best, but, how many
shops have you seen who spin the rim against a separate wheel before
mounting the tire on the rim?

Old July 15th 13, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Angel A.

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:08:47 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

> Those dots are unscientific and meaningless.

Then why are they *required* by law on all US automotive tires and wheels?