Slickness is gone once the transmission fluid was replaced

Old August 13th 12, 10:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default Slickness is gone once the transmission fluid was replaced

I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
manual
gearbox.

It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.

It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.

I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
(liter actually)
around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
shifting slick and seamless
again.
Old August 13th 12, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
no way

On Aug 13, 5:01*am, AD > wrote:
> I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
> about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
> manual
> gearbox.
>
> It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
> and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.
>
> It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.
>
> I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
> (liter actually)
> around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
> shifting slick and seamless
> again.

Then deal with it!
Old August 13th 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
m6onz5a

On Aug 13, 5:01*am, AD > wrote:
> I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
> about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
> manual
> gearbox.
>
> It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
> and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.
>
> It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.
>
> I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
> (liter actually)
> around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
> shifting slick and seamless
> again.

hopefully the wrong fluid isn't going to mess something up down the
road.
Old August 13th 12, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
Scott Dorsey

AD > wrote:
>I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
>about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
>manual
>gearbox.

Of what? What kind of car?

>It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
>and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.

What did the dealer recommend? What does the manual recommend?

>It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.

Is this an Audi A4? What year? Some of those want GL5 oil, some of
them want different oil for the gearbox and the differential.

>I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
>(liter actually)
>around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
>shifting slick and seamless
>again.

It's a 20 minute job, you can do it yourself in the driveway. Don't
waste $135 on having some joker do it. I'd tend to recommend Red Line
or Motul but you'll get as many different oil recommendations as mechanics
I think.
--scott
Old August 13th 12, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/13/2012 02:01 AM, AD wrote:
> I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
> about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
> manual
> gearbox.
>
> It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
> and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.
>
> It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.
>
> I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
> (liter actually)
> around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
> shifting slick and seamless
> again.

well, you're not hallucinating about the change in shift quality. but
you are if you're thinking that just any old oil will work in any
transmission.

otoh, you could go online and find either:

a. $25 a liter or less for oem fluid, not $45.

b. one of the other oils that actually meets spec, and save just a
little more.

--
fact check required
Old August 13th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/13/2012 08:55 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
>> about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
>> manual
>> gearbox.

> Of what? What kind of car?
>
>> It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
>> and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.

> What did the dealer recommend? What does the manual recommend?
>
>> It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.

> Is this an Audi A4? What year? Some of those want GL5 oil, some of
> them want different oil for the gearbox and the differential.
>
>> I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
>> (liter actually)
>> around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
>> shifting slick and seamless
>> again.

> It's a 20 minute job, you can do it yourself in the driveway. Don't
> waste $135 on having some joker do it. I'd tend to recommend Red Line
> or Motul but you'll get as many different oil recommendations as mechanics
> I think.
> --scott

redline may indeed have something, but motul seems to be more commonly
recommended on the vw forums.

--
fact check required
Old August 13th 12, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
Heron

"no way" > wrote in message
On Aug 13, 5:01 am, AD > wrote:
> I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
> about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
> manual
> gearbox.
>
> It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
> and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.
>
> It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.
>
> I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
> (liter actually)
> around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
> shifting slick and seamless
> again.

Then deal with it
********

Given that all of your posts to date have been totally devoid
of either interest or value, and with no reasonable expectation
for any deviation from that track record in the future, do kindly
take the hint and spare one and all from your continual boorish
behavior and permanently depart these premises until such
an unlikely time that you actually have something to contribute.

Old August 13th 12, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 02:01:26 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:

>I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
>about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
>manual
>gearbox.
>
>It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
>and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.
>
>It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.
>
>I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
>(liter actually)
>around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
>shifting slick and seamless
>again.

I can't say anything specific but it sounds like "the wrong oil". What
does the owners manual recommend?
Old August 13th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
Mark Olson

On 8/13/2012 3:16 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 02:01:26 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:
>
>> I had the gearbox and rear diff fluid changed to BP 75w90 (synthetic).
>> about 1.3 liter went into the rear diff and 2.7 was left for the
>> manual
>> gearbox.
>>
>> It feels not the same now. The slickness of shifts seems to be out
>> and the rubbery feel of a subaru manual gearbox is in.
>>
>> It's also seems more difficult to get A4 into the second gear.
>>
>> I'm hallucinating or what? OEM VW transaxle oil is about $45 a quart
>> (liter actually)
>> around here and I'd rather not spend those $135 plus labor to get the
>> shifting slick and seamless
>> again.

> I can't say anything specific but it sounds like "the wrong oil". What
> does the owners manual recommend?

I'm really going out on a limb here I know, but my guess is

"OEM VW transaxle oil".

After having owned an Audi and learning all about their special oils and
fluids, I wouldn't second guess the owner's manual recommendations. Just
chalk it up to experience and fill it with /exactly/ what the manual
recommends.

Or, he could get on a VW-specific forum and ask the folks in the know
what aftermarket stuff works just like the recommended OEM lubricant.

Old August 13th 12, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
Scott Dorsey

Mark Olson > wrote:
>After having owned an Audi and learning all about their special oils and
>fluids, I wouldn't second guess the owner's manual recommendations. Just
>chalk it up to experience and fill it with /exactly/ what the manual
>recommends.
>
>Or, he could get on a VW-specific forum and ask the folks in the know
>what aftermarket stuff works just like the recommended OEM lubricant.

If it were me, I'd call Redline and ask what they recommend, although I
am kind of biased.
--scott