can front wheel bearings be damaged

Old December 6th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default can front wheel bearings be damaged

"N8N" > wrote in message news:9e15667e-1dd9-> >>> Anyone
who thinks that a car can hit a very large and deep pothole and
> [...]

Of course, potholes can put a lot of stress into many suspension areas.
I have never seen a wheel bearing problem that I could trace back to
that, but maybe it happens.

More than that, some of the early unibody cars, and apparently some of
the later ones, can be bent badly enough by this that alignment can become
difficult. But that has nothing really to do with the wheel bearing
scenario.

My daughter's rice rocket was bent so badly that one mechanic passed
on the alignment, and I took it to a frame shop so that it could be
massaged back into range so that it could be aligned.

Old December 7th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 12/06/2010 12:11 PM, N8N wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2:29�pm, jim > wrote:

>>> Re-read the OP. �He hit a very large and deep pothole at speed.
>>> Granted, for him at speed might be 5 mph and the pothole might be 2" x
>>> 1/4", but probably all the numbers are much higher.

>> he /is/ the op.
>>
>> and while it's highly unlikely and only really possible if the bearing
>> is either defective or badly under-spec, it /is/ technically possible to
>> brinell a bearing like this. �if the bump is within the range of
>> suspension travel, load would not be high enough to do it, but if the
>> suspension and tire had bottomed, then you could get a high load
>> transient several times the normal running load, and a low spec or low
>> hardness bearing could brinell at that point. �much like bearings
>> commonly brinell when being abused by techs with hammers.

> It might have bottomed, the suspension on the car is stupid soft, but
> I kind of doubt it seeing as I was doing about 55-60 MPH at the time
> (onramp.) On the flip side, it was the LF wheel that hit the hole, so
> that side was more loaded than normal at the time.
>
> I just don't remember having these kind of issues with the cars my
> parents drove, which typically only got the bearings packed/replaced
> when the brakes were done, and the brake service intervals for those
> cars tended to be very long as my parents were typically not
> aggressive drivers and the family cars were usually stickshifts. Upon
> reflection, since the late 80's their regular daily use car was a VW
> Golf which also had cartridge-type front wheel bearings, and if they
> were ever replaced on that car, I don't remember it.

double row angular ball. the failures i've seen are usually associated
with technician abuse such as pounding out a sticky driveshaft with a
hammer rather than using a press that pushes against the hub without

> I do recall
> having a bad *rear* wheel bearing on that car, which were traditional
> tapered rollers, but those seem to have been undersized for the
> application as I also had problems with them on my own '84 GTI as well
> and have heard the same from others.
>
> nate

often it's caused by "excessive maintenance". in the old days, bearing
seals and greases were poor, so regular re-packing was required. that
practice has stuck through today [much like 3k mile oil changes], even
though it's usually no longer necessary. thus bearings get
over-preloaded, under-preloaded and contaminated from dirty fingers.
bearing hygiene is absolutely critical, and replication of factory
cleanliness almost impossible to achieve.

and as i said up thread, if not loaded within angular range, a roller
element can be loaded on one end and it will wobble in the race causing
it to become barrel-shaped and then further oscillate as it rolls. very
noisy.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Front Wheel Bearings Daniel David Palmer[_2_] Ford Explorer 10 January 26th 08 05:09 PM
Dana 30 front wheel bearings KayakBill Jeep 20 July 9th 06 04:13 PM
front wheel bearings cj Dodge 2 November 22nd 05 04:30 AM
'97 Front Wheel Bearings krupnikas Ford Explorer 0 May 18th 05 04:01 PM
A4 - Front Wheel Bearings ? Graeme Audi 1 July 15th 04 12:47 PM