McPherson Struts - Cost to modify top mounts to add Caster??

Old November 20th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

Default McPherson Struts - Cost to modify top mounts to add Caster??

I own a 2008 Kia Optima with bread&butter McPherson strut front
suspension. I'm looking to add anywhere from 1/2 to 1 degree of
additional caster for the reasons most drivng enthusiasts would want
to.

What approximately is the cost of this operation(parts & labor)?

-ChrisCoaster
Old November 21st 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>I own a 2008 Kia Optima with bread&butter McPherson strut front
>suspension. I'm looking to add anywhere from 1/2 to 1 degree of
>additional caster for the reasons most drivng enthusiasts would want
>to.
>
>What approximately is the cost of this operation(parts & labor)?

Here's the thing. Most of the folks wanting to do this are people who
are racing cars. If you go to your local speed shop, you will find it
is very easy to find kits to make caster adjustable for the cars that
are most frequently raced.

If you can find such a kit, it's not a difficult job although it's a
thing you really want a lift for. But... if a kit does not exist, you
are in for a huge expense in modification. So your question all revolves
around whether it does exist and whether you are prepared to go into
the speed shop and admit you have a Kia to the folks behind the counter.
--scott
Old November 21st 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 14:32:32 -0800, ChrisCoaster wrote:

> I own a 2008 Kia Optima with bread&butter McPherson strut front
> suspension. I'm looking to add anywhere from 1/2 to 1 degree of
> additional caster for the reasons most drivng enthusiasts would want to.
>
> What approximately is the cost of this operation(parts & labor)?
>
> -ChrisCoaster

Approx $35,000 for the Subaru WRX you should really be playing with...

Old November 22nd 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 21, 11:49 am, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B > wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 14:32:32 -0800, ChrisCoaster wrote:
> > I own a 2008 Kia Optima with bread&butter McPherson strut front
> > suspension. I'm looking to add anywhere from 1/2 to 1 degree of
> > additional caster for the reasons most drivng enthusiasts would want to.

> > What approximately is the cost of this operation(parts & labor)?

> > -ChrisCoaster

> Approx $35,000 for the Subaru WRX you should really be playing with...

___________________
You folks have no appreciation for the CRAP I left behind for this
Kia. A 2005 Malibu that pulled to the left after having 3 alignments,
and a 03 Impala with PS so over boosted it had about as much "center"
as the American electorate currently does. LOL!

Now the 08 Optima's no Bimmer(or WRX for that matter) but at least I
know when I'm actually turning the wheels! I'm sure the two domestics
I mention could easily accelerate the Korean girl on a 1/4mile
straight, but hey, isn't that the American definition of "handling"??

LOLx2!

-CC
Old November 22nd 10, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:03:07 -0800, ChrisCoaster wrote:

> On Nov 21, 11:49 am, Hachiroku ハチ*ク > wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 14:32:32 -0800, ChrisCoaster wrote:
>> > I own a 2008 Kia Optima with bread&butter McPherson strut front
>> > suspension. I'm looking to add anywhere from 1/2 to 1 degree of
>> > additional caster for the reasons most drivng enthusiasts would want
>> > to.

>> > What approximately is the cost of this operation(parts & labor)?

>> > -ChrisCoaster

>> Approx $35,000 for the Subaru WRX you should really be playing with...

> ___________________
> You folks have no appreciation for the CRAP I left behind for this Kia. A
> 2005 Malibu that pulled to the left after having 3 alignments, and a 03
> Impala with PS so over boosted it had about as much "center" as the
> American electorate currently does. LOL!

Well, at least you've stepped *UP* from GM products!!

The Optima is a decent car. Why do you want to change it?

When I was working for a Toyota/KIA dealer we only kept two heads in stock
on the shelf: the one that goes on the KIA 1.6L. We knew we'd be changing
them pretty soon...

All in all, KIA makes decent little, basic transportation cars that are
reminisicent of Toyotas from the 80's. Unfortunately their reliability
isn't where Toyota's was in the 80's.

> Now the 08 Optima's no Bimmer(or WRX for that matter) but at least I know
> when I'm actually turning the wheels! I'm sure the two domestics I
> mention could easily accelerate the Korean girl on a 1/4mile straight, but
> hey, isn't that the American definition of "handling"??

Pretty much. I would take it to a GOOD suspension shop; not the local tire
whorehouse sausage grinder with someone that really knows how to set up a
suspension (luckily we have such a place right here in our small town...)
and they can probably tweak the thing more to your liking.

Old November 22nd 10, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message
> Now the 08 Optima's no Bimmer(or WRX for that matter) but at least I
> know when I'm actually turning the wheels! I'm sure the two domestics
> I mention could easily accelerate the Korean girl on a 1/4mile
> straight, but hey, isn't that the American definition of "handling"??

That isnt the definition of handling in my vocabulary.

Old November 23rd 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 22, 7:54*am, "hls" > wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message
>
> news:7f05eff7-e7d3-4908-a741->> Now the 08 Optima's no Bimmer(or WRX for that matter) but at least I
> > know when I'm actually turning the wheels! *I'm sure the two domestics
> > I mention could easily accelerate the Korean girl on a 1/4mile
> > straight, but hey, isn't that the American definition of "handling"??

> That isnt the definition of handling in my vocabulary.

_________________
Just bein' sarcastic. Back in the day, the only thing that mattered
was straightline acceleration, the lowest zero-to-60, the shortest
quarter mile time, you know. That is until Asian and German sedans
came along that could actually unwind a rural two-laner without ending
up in the ditch - or in someone's living room.(!)

This Kia Optima is about where I would want my handling to be. Sure,
I'd love a better F/R weight ratio, but just being able to tighten up
the steering feel would be perfect. Every modification to the
existing hydraulic(yes I'm flauntin hydraulic I don't need electric
PS's problems!!) power steering system seems has a drawback acc to
respondents to me here and on other automotive sites. Even the
Heidt's valve took a shellacking on here, so I'm leaving the PS system
stock.

So, it looks like hacking up the tops of the strut towers and slappin'
on a set of Caster plates might be the only option. I believe this
car has a Caster of 4.74 degrees +-0.5 deg. I'm looking for the max
allowable - in this case 5.20 to 5.24 degrees positive. This would
help firm it up at speeds under 20mph, not just 30mph up, and counter
what I personally feel is too much PS boost. I guess I just need to
find out which performance shops in town have the best reps at this
kind of work.

-Chris
Old November 24th 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> On Nov 22, 7:54 am, "hls" > wrote:
>> "ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message
>>
>> news:7f05eff7-e7d3-4908-a741->> Now the 08 Optima's no Bimmer(or WRX for that matter) but at least I
>>> know when I'm actually turning the wheels! I'm sure the two domestics
>>> I mention could easily accelerate the Korean girl on a 1/4mile
>>> straight, but hey, isn't that the American definition of "handling"??

>> That isnt the definition of handling in my vocabulary.

> _________________
> Just bein' sarcastic. Back in the day, the only thing that mattered
> was straightline acceleration, the lowest zero-to-60, the shortest
> quarter mile time, you know. That is until Asian and German sedans
> came along that could actually unwind a rural two-laner without ending
> up in the ditch - or in someone's living room.(!)
>
> This Kia Optima is about where I would want my handling to be. Sure,
> I'd love a better F/R weight ratio, but just being able to tighten up
> the steering feel would be perfect. Every modification to the
> existing hydraulic(yes I'm flauntin hydraulic I don't need electric
> PS's problems!!) power steering system seems has a drawback acc to
> respondents to me here and on other automotive sites. Even the
> Heidt's valve took a shellacking on here, so I'm leaving the PS system
> stock.
>
> So, it looks like hacking up the tops of the strut towers and slappin'
> on a set of Caster plates might be the only option. I believe this
> car has a Caster of 4.74 degrees +-0.5 deg. I'm looking for the max
> allowable - in this case 5.20 to 5.24 degrees positive. This would
> help firm it up at speeds under 20mph, not just 30mph up, and counter
> what I personally feel is too much PS boost. I guess I just need to
> find out which performance shops in town have the best reps at this
> kind of work.
>
> -Chris

Have you looked at the suspension at all?

What makes you think a caster plate will work? (It won't because that
isn't a McPherson strut system really)

How about you actually figure out why a caster plate won't make any
difference on that vehicle and then ask about adjusting the front end?

Hint - Off the shelf parts costing under 100 bucks will give you 1
degree adjustment EASILY.

Also replace all the rubber mounts and bushings in the various mounts
and links first and you will see a BIG difference. You will probably
have to hunt to find poly but they can be found.

--
Steve W.
Old November 25th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 24, 7:25*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:

> 01-07 - Off the shelf upper ball joints with 1 degree of caster/camber
> possible run about 50 bucks each. They are available from Mevotech,
> Moog, Wagner
>
> Pull a tire and look at the actual suspension. It is a linked coil over
> system, the strut is the spring/shock BUT it is not the steering pivot.
> Works just like the system on the front of a Jeep Liberty.
>
> --
> Steve W.
> (\___/)
> (='.'=)

____________________
2001 - 2007 is that? Actually, the last year of the 2001 generation
optima was 2006. The newer design(mine) debuted as a 2006"1/2" which
share nothing with the old optima save the name.

So I'm afraid I'm out of luck on this mod.

-CC
Old November 25th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:53:18 -0800, ChrisCoaster wrote:

> On Nov 24, 7:25*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
>

>> 01-07 - Off the shelf upper ball joints with 1 degree of caster/camber
>> possible run about 50 bucks each. They are available from Mevotech,
>> Moog, Wagner
>>
>> Pull a tire and look at the actual suspension. It is a linked coil over
>> system, the strut is the spring/shock BUT it is not the steering pivot.
>> Works just like the system on the front of a Jeep Liberty.
>>
>> --
>> Steve W.
>> (\___/)
>> (='.'=)

> ____________________
> 2001 - 2007 is that? Actually, the last year of the 2001 generation
> optima was 2006. The newer design(mine) debuted as a 2006"1/2" which
> share nothing with the old optima save the name.
>
> So I'm afraid I'm out of luck on this mod.
>
> -CC

Check with Energy. I have an '88 Supra and NOBODY had bushings for this
car, and then they suddenly showed up on AutoZone's web site. Thank God,
mine are SHOT! I was actually hoping to go with rubber, but at least
SOMETHING was available. I could get most of them from Toyota, but the
front lowers are only available with the entire control arm. At $198 each,
no, thanks!