1990 Olds Stalls/Bogs on acceleration

Old September 5th 08, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1990 Olds Stalls/Bogs on acceleration

On Sep 4, 11:14 pm, Matt > wrote:
> I'll contribute a probably-dumb idea. I haven't seen anybody mention
> the spark advance. Does the car have a vacuum advance? Maybe those
> went out with carburetors ...

Yea this car has no vacuum advance, the computer does it all. It
doesn't even have a distributor
Old September 5th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message news:96bd199c-4dc6-4629-8d9c-
>> I had an 89 Regal with the 2.8 that did the same thing. It was the
>> injectors.

> was it the injectors themselves bad or the wiring to them?

It was the injectors themselves. I could use a good injector cleaner in the
tank and it might help a little, but the relief was temporary.

They were all triggering, electrically receiving signals at any rate.

Yours might be different.

At that time the injectors for the 2.8 were about $60 each.

Old September 5th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message
>I am not fortunate enough to have the service manual, just a
> haynes ... the car is not mine it is my sisters. So as you push the
> throttle the voltage at the injectors should increase? ok... I also
> have no check engine light.... fuel injection ****es me off sometimes
> i miss the carbs! When I get over there next time I guess i will have
> to try hooking my meter up to the injectors. How would you do this?
> Seems like you would have to take off the plenum hook up to one
> injector, and reinstall plenum. then repeat for all injectors? Or is
> there a easier way?

Noid lights are the quick and dirty way to check these.

Old September 5th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Sep 3, 9:12 pm, wrote:
> This car is a 3.1 v6 it runs ok most of the time. But randomly out of

What codes are you seeing?
What does the vacuum gauge do when it is bogging?
Sounds to me like it may be a restricted exhaust...
HTH,
Ben

Old September 5th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sep 5, 7:32 am, ben91932 > wrote:
> On Sep 3, 9:12 pm, wrote:> This car is a 3.1 v6 it runs ok most of the time. But randomly out of
>
> What codes are you seeing?
> What does the vacuum gauge do when it is bogging?
> Sounds to me like it may be a restricted exhaust...
> HTH,
> Ben

I unbolted the exhaust at the manifold and it still did it, and i am
not getting any codes
Old September 5th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mark[_1_]

On Sep 5, 11:57*am, wrote:
> On Sep 5, 7:32 am, ben91932 > wrote:
>
> > On Sep 3, 9:12 pm, wrote:> This car is a 3.1 v6 it runs ok most of the time. But randomly out of

> > What codes are you seeing?
> > What does the vacuum gauge do when it is bogging?
> > Sounds to me like it may be a restricted exhaust...
> > HTH,
> > Ben

> I unbolted the exhaust at the manifold and it still did it, and i am
> not getting any codes

where are you located?

do you have a access to a voltmeter or oscilloscope?

as another posted mentioned, even a small light bulb might be helpful
to monitor the voltage that the ECM is sending to the injectors...

If you have a small 12volt light bulb connect it in parallel with the
injector. The brightness of the lightbulb should be an indication of
the amount of fuel the ECM is asking for. When you open the
throttle, the light should get brighter..

If I recall correctly, the detail of this is that the voltage is
really always 12 volts but the there is a very fast on off pulsing.
When more gas is needed the on time is increased. A light bulb will
average out the on off pulses so you will see the light get brighter
when the on time is increased calling for more gas. An oscilloscope
would be the right way to look at this if you can get one.

If the bulb does not get brighter then the ECM is not asking for more
fuel. Then that means the ECM is bad or more liekly one of the
sensors feeding info to it is not right.

The three main sensor are the TPS throttle position sensor, MAP sensor
which measure manifold vacumm and the engine crank sensor which also
triggers the spark.

Mark
Old September 6th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sep 5, 11:40 am, Mark > wrote:
> On Sep 5, 11:57 am, wrote:
>
> > On Sep 5, 7:32 am, ben91932 > wrote:

> > > On Sep 3, 9:12 pm, wrote:> This car is a 3.1 v6 it runs ok most of the time. But randomly out of

> > > What codes are you seeing?
> > > What does the vacuum gauge do when it is bogging?
> > > Sounds to me like it may be a restricted exhaust...
> > > HTH,
> > > Ben

> > I unbolted the exhaust at the manifold and it still did it, and i am
> > not getting any codes

> where are you located?
>
> do you have a access to a voltmeter or oscilloscope?
>
> as another posted mentioned, even a small light bulb might be helpful
> to monitor the voltage that the ECM is sending to the injectors...
>
> If you have a small 12volt light bulb connect it in parallel with the
> injector. The brightness of the lightbulb should be an indication of
> the amount of fuel the ECM is asking for. When you open the
> throttle, the light should get brighter..
>
> If I recall correctly, the detail of this is that the voltage is
> really always 12 volts but the there is a very fast on off pulsing.
> When more gas is needed the on time is increased. A light bulb will
> average out the on off pulses so you will see the light get brighter
> when the on time is increased calling for more gas. An oscilloscope
> would be the right way to look at this if you can get one.
>
> If the bulb does not get brighter then the ECM is not asking for more
> fuel. Then that means the ECM is bad or more liekly one of the
> sensors feeding info to it is not right.
>
> The three main sensor are the TPS throttle position sensor, MAP sensor
> which measure manifold vacumm and the engine crank sensor which also
> triggers the spark.
>
> Mark

Thank you for this information, I have a voltmeter and a test light
but no scope. I tried to find out how much voltage was being sent to
the injectors, and i found that it was a constant 12v after that i was
not sure what to do. I will try what you said, but i think i read
somewhere that it is dangerous to connect a test light to the injector
connector?
Old September 6th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Oh yea, and i am from eugene oregon
Old September 6th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message news:ca68f7bc-ccd2-430e-9f64-
> Thank you for this information, I have a voltmeter and a test light
> but no scope. I tried to find out how much voltage was being sent to
> the injectors, and i found that it was a constant 12v after that i was
> not sure what to do. I will try what you said, but i think i read
> somewhere that it is dangerous to connect a test light to the injector
> connector?

Harbor Freight or other places offer "noid" lights that are specifically
made for this purpose. They are not expensive (at least I dont consider
them expensive)

The waveform is a square wave, approximately, of ca 12 volts. The
amount of current drawn on the average is determined by the firing time
and a function of the impedance of the injector.

Just because you see a firing pulse at the injector does not mean that the
injector is opening properly. But there WILL be a difference current
between an injector that is opening versus one that is not.