1990 Olds Stalls/Bogs on acceleration

Old September 4th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default 1990 Olds Stalls/Bogs on acceleration

In article >,
> wrote:
>thanks for the replys, I forgot to add I did also change the fuel
>filter... it was actually the first thing i did. And it did nothing.
>When i check the fuel pressure it reads high 30s at idle and when i
>step on the gas it does increase. It seems like it is not getting
>enough fuel to me, when it starts to bog if i spray a little carb
>cleaner in the hole for the air dam it picks it back up instead of
>killing it like it normally would. But my pressure looks good and I
>tried injectors out of another car that has been working just fine...
>So i don't know how it would not get enough fuel?

Because the ECU isn't giving it enough. It's time to get a scanner
and start looking at the inputs and outputs.
--scott
Old September 4th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I wish winaldl would work with this motor!!!!!!
Old September 4th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I tried listening to the injectors with my long screwdriver. and it
sounds as if all of them are clicking and not missing a click when the
engine is bogging...
Old September 4th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mark[_1_]

On Sep 4, 1:04*pm, wrote:
> I tried listening to the injectors with my long screwdriver. and it
> sounds as if all of them are clicking and not missing a click when the
> engine is bogging...

connect a volt meter to them..

when you open the throttle, there has to be an increase in gas flow,
in the old days the accelerator pump did this,,,

you will not be able to tell by hearing the clicks if more or less
gas is being injected... the clicking will tell you that some gas is
being injected...

looking at the meter you should be able to see the voltage or pulse
width increase when you open the throttle..like a dwell meter used to
work..

Do you have the service manual?

Mark

Old September 4th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mark[_1_]

On Sep 4, 1:04*pm, wrote:
> I tried listening to the injectors with my long screwdriver. and it
> sounds as if all of them are clicking and not missing a click when the
> engine is bogging...

also in my Celebrity which was single injector throttle body by the
way... the problem would not persist for long enough to set a
code....I had no codes or check engine light..

Mark

Old September 4th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I am not fortunate enough to have the service manual, just a
haynes ... the car is not mine it is my sisters. So as you push the
throttle the voltage at the injectors should increase? ok... I also
have no check engine light.... fuel injection ****es me off sometimes
i miss the carbs! When I get over there next time I guess i will have
to try hooking my meter up to the injectors. How would you do this?
Seems like you would have to take off the plenum hook up to one
injector, and reinstall plenum. then repeat for all injectors? Or is
there a easier way?
Old September 4th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Vic Smith" > wrote in message
> Think the 4's had throttle body, but my '88 Celebrity 2.8 with
> MFI had similar symptoms. Stalled leaving a stop light, but not
> always. Progressed a couple weeks later to stumbling while
> accelerating, but not always.
> My mechanic replaced 2 injectors and that fixed it.
>
> --Vic

I had an 89 Regal with the 2.8 that did the same thing. It was the
injectors.
Old September 4th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sep 4, 10:39 am, "HLS" > wrote:
> "Vic Smith" > wrote in message
> > Think the 4's had throttle body, but my '88 Celebrity 2.8 with
> > MFI had similar symptoms. Stalled leaving a stop light, but not
> > always. Progressed a couple weeks later to stumbling while
> > accelerating, but not always.
> > My mechanic replaced 2 injectors and that fixed it.

> > --Vic

> I had an 89 Regal with the 2.8 that did the same thing. It was the
> injectors.

was it the injectors themselves bad or the wiring to them?
Old September 5th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Mark wrote:

> if you can get the problem to happen in the garage while you are
> troubleshooting it, then you may have a chance. Mine would only
> happen when i was actually driving it...

Could he simulate the load from acceleration by putting it in drive and
chocking the wheels and putting on the parking brake, then giving it
some gas? It might not look the same to the computer, but it produces
some of the same conditions.
Old September 5th 08, 07:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

I'll contribute a probably-dumb idea. I haven't seen anybody mention
the spark advance. Does the car have a vacuum advance? Maybe those
went out with carburetors ...