A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Alfa Romeo
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

156 V6: a bit 'strangled'.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 28th 04, 05:52 PM
Jacopo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default 156 V6: a bit 'strangled'.

Today, my 156 doesen't feel like other days: between 3500 and 5000 RPMs, the
engine is something like 'strangled', it has some hesitation in giving
power... finally, a momentary lapse of power. (Pink Floyd enthusiast will
understand me ;-)
Monday the light 'engine failure' came up, stayed turned on for the whole
day, then yesterday afternoon went out. For the whole time that the light
was on, the engine runned well. Took to a Bosh Service, and the engine
management computer said 'error in air/fuel mix'. The mechanic said that
wasn't so bad, in fact it wasn't a failure, but just a 'wrong carburation'.
But I think that this 'failure' is responsable of the loss of power of
today: maybe the spark plugs are dirty, due to a major percentage of fuel
during the 'failure'?

Bye Bye ;-)

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia
--
Sportwagon 2.5 V6 24V Distinctive


Ads
  #2  
Old April 28th 04, 07:07 PM
Alfistagj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Antti" > schreef in bericht
...
>
>
> airmass meter MAF is common fault in V6 and symptons usually: hesitation
> around 5000rpm (loses power like rev limiter).
>
> Antti
>


I must agree with Antti
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
Alfa red 156 SW 1.8 Madeno tuned (2000)
Golden Montreal (1973/4)



  #3  
Old April 28th 04, 07:16 PM
Antti
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Jacopo" > wrote in message
...
> Today, my 156 doesen't feel like other days: between 3500 and 5000 RPMs,

the
> engine is something like 'strangled', it has some hesitation in giving
> power... finally, a momentary lapse of power. (Pink Floyd enthusiast will
> understand me ;-)
> Monday the light 'engine failure' came up, stayed turned on for the whole
> day, then yesterday afternoon went out. For the whole time that the light
> was on, the engine runned well. Took to a Bosh Service, and the engine
> management computer said 'error in air/fuel mix'. The mechanic said that
> wasn't so bad, in fact it wasn't a failure, but just a 'wrong

carburation'.
> But I think that this 'failure' is responsable of the loss of power of
> today: maybe the spark plugs are dirty, due to a major percentage of fuel
> during the 'failure'?
>

airmass meter MAF is common fault in V6 and symptons usually: hesitation
around 5000rpm (loses power like rev limiter).

Antti


  #4  
Old April 28th 04, 08:57 PM
Jacopo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks guys. But the power loss isn't so huge, and comes out only when I
push down the gas. Can be the airmass meter even?

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia
--
Sportwagon 2.5 V6 24V Distinctive


  #5  
Old April 28th 04, 09:56 PM
Alfistagj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Jacopo" > schreef in bericht
...
> Thanks guys. But the power loss isn't so huge, and comes out only when I
> push down the gas. Can be the airmass meter even?
>
> --
> Jacopo
> Bolzano, Italia
> --
> Sportwagon 2.5 V6 24V Distinctive
>


What's the weather like?
Rain/dry?
Air pressure?
Temperature?
How "new" is your air filter element?
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
Alfa red 156 SW 1.8 Madeno tuned (2000)
Golden Montreal (1973/4)


  #6  
Old April 29th 04, 07:28 AM
Catman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jacopo wrote:

> Today, my 156 doesen't feel like other days: between 3500 and 5000 RPMs,
> the engine is something like 'strangled', it has some hesitation in giving
> power... finally, a momentary lapse of power. (Pink Floyd enthusiast will
> understand me ;-)


Probably sounds better on guitar

> Monday the light 'engine failure' came up, stayed turned on for the whole
> day, then yesterday afternoon went out.


It's not gone into 'limp home' mode has it? IIRC that tends to run a very
rich mixture that might well give the symptoms you describe. OTOH I'd
expect it to be on the error list.

--
Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
Triumph Speed Triple: Black with extra black bits
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
  #7  
Old April 29th 04, 07:56 AM
Jacopo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It was dry, but covered with low clouds, low pressure, about 70-75% humidity
and 27C.
The air filter was changed with the oil @ 31000km. The car has now 33100km.

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia
--
Sportwagon 2.5 V6 24V Distinctive


  #8  
Old April 29th 04, 08:43 AM
Neuropean
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Maybe you shouldn't fill the tank with kerosene after all...

;-)
Neuropean
  #9  
Old April 29th 04, 09:24 AM
Ppelectron
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

>> Today, my 156 doesen't feel like other days: between 3500 and 5000 RPMs,
>the
>> engine is something like 'strangled', it has some hesitation in giving
>> power... finally, a momentary lapse of power. (Pink Floyd enthusiast will
>> understand me ;-)
>> Monday the light 'engine failure' came up, stayed turned on for the whole
>> day, then yesterday afternoon went out. For the whole time that the light
>> was on, the engine runned well. Took to a Bosh Service, and the engine
>> management computer said 'error in air/fuel mix'. The mechanic said that
>> wasn't so bad, in fact it wasn't a failure, but just a 'wrong

>carburation'.
>> But I think that this 'failure' is responsable of the loss of power of
>> today: maybe the spark plugs are dirty, due to a major percentage of fuel
>> during the 'failure'?
>>

>airmass meter MAF is common fault in V6 and symptons usually: hesitation
>around 5000rpm (loses power like rev limiter).
>
>Antti
>


The MAF fault on my 156 V6 caused a serious loss of power at 5000RPM (like a
rev limiter) but it did not improve as I put my foot down harder on the gas.
The only way to make the car go faster was to select a higher gear. The car
absolutely refused to do more than 5000RPM. The fault described by the original
poster sounds more like plugs or fuel IMHO.

Phil 156 V6 1998

  #10  
Old April 29th 04, 10:04 PM
Alfistagj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Jacopo" > schreef in bericht
...
> It was dry, but covered with low clouds, low pressure, about 70-75%

humidity
> and 27C.
> The air filter was changed with the oil @ 31000km. The car has now

33100km.
>


BAD abient circumstances for fine power output!
Very low oxygen % due to combination of temp. en air pressure.
Could surely be the (a) reason.
High air pressure and low(er) temp is perfect.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
Alfa red 156 SW 1.8 Madeno tuned (2000)
Golden Montreal (1973/4)


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.