Engine won't turn over

Old October 13th 04, 07:44 PM
areyouwireless

Default Engine won't turn over

Hi Folks,
I have recently purchase a 69 VW beetle for my wife (candy apple
red - her toy car) The vehicle was running fine until the battery
died. I just charged it up, and it looks to be fine (headlights turn
on, horn works, etc). However the engine won't turn over. I don't have
a repair manual yet (ordered one today), so I was wondering if anyone
had any suggestions. I don't think it is the starter as I do not here
any action from the solenoid (clicking,etc). I believe it is something
electronic (fuse, relay, etc). Any clues or steps to trace the
igintion circuit would be helpful...
Old October 13th 04, 08:06 PM
Seth Graham

On 2004-10-13, areyouwireless > wrote:
> Any clues or steps to trace the
> igintion circuit would be helpful...

http://type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm

Great tutorial for identifying starter problems. The relay
suggested towards the bottom is a bit of a controversy around
here so if you go that route, stay hush hush on it.

Old October 13th 04, 08:16 PM
Speedy Jim

areyouwireless wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I have recently purchase a 69 VW beetle for my wife (candy apple
> red - her toy car) The vehicle was running fine until the battery
> died. I just charged it up, and it looks to be fine (headlights turn
> on, horn works, etc). However the engine won't turn over. I don't have
> a repair manual yet (ordered one today), so I was wondering if anyone
> had any suggestions. I don't think it is the starter as I do not here
> any action from the solenoid (clicking,etc). I believe it is something
> electronic (fuse, relay, etc). Any clues or steps to trace the
> igintion circuit would be helpful...

(We're assuming this is a 4-spd tranny.)
There are NO fuses, relays, etc in the starter circuit.
Since the solenoid does NOT click, that leaves only the
Ignition switch and the wire from there to the solenoid.

Check the push-on connector on the solenoid first.
You can jump the solenoid connection as shown in the
next link while under there (Wear glasses and be sure
shift is in Neutral!!)

If the wire connector is good and jumping it makes the
engine turn, you're looking at the Ignition switch.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Dragenwagen has a whole page about starter circuits:
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/starter.html

Bookmarks the following sites for future reference:
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvall...vwbookmark.htm

Searchable:
http://www.allvw.com/

And: