Leaking exhaust

Old December 8th 04, 08:00 PM
Ulf

Default Leaking exhaust

fbloogyudsr wrote:
> "Ulf" > wrote
>
>> The exhaust on my '86 BMW 323i is leaking between the headers and
>> front muffler. So while driving slowly and standing still some of the
>> exhaust fumes are drawn into the car. This is very unpleasant,
>> especially since the car doesn't have a cat and is using a lot of oil.
>> I've tried sealing the leak with a paste, however it only lasted a few
>> weeks and now it's leaking again. Here's a picture so you can see what
>> I mean:
>>
>> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/IMG_0974.JPG

> That's one of the most-rusted header/muffler joint's I've seen. The
> near joint is missing it's compression seal and clamp. You'll need
> to take it apart and install a new one - they're inexpensive but the
> job is going to be hard - best to torch off the bolts on the other
> one and install new ones there, too.

Thanks, but that sounded like too much work so I've tried sealing it
with two component cement instead. Exhaust gases, or maybe it's only
burned oil, is still entering the car though. Could the engine block be
hot enough for oil to form fumes, or will that only happen to oil
dripping on the headers/exhaust system? I know there's an oil leak at
the front of the engine, but it's not that close to the exhaust.

>> Another problem is that the fuel tank is leaking. If I fill it up to
>> max (55 liters) and park the car it's down to about 38 liters after a
>> while. Of course, now I only fill it to half tank, but I'd like to fix
>> it assuming it's easy.

> It's probably hard - it's under the back seat. It might be the hose
> joining the two together, which is easier.

Hmm, filling half tank is easier, and cheaper... :-)

> Floyd

Ulf
Old December 8th 04, 08:23 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Ulf" > wrote
> Thanks, but that sounded like too much work so I've tried sealing it
> with two component cement instead. Exhaust gases, or maybe it's only
> burned oil, is still entering the car though. Could the engine block be
> hot enough for oil to form fumes, or will that only happen to oil
> dripping on the headers/exhaust system? I know there's an oil leak at
> the front of the engine, but it's not that close to the exhaust.

Check the hood seal - if it's leaking you can get engine compartment
air into the vent inlet ducts. The rubber is likely to be non-pliable on
a car of your's age.

Floyd
Old December 8th 04, 08:24 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> fbloogyudsr wrote:
> > "Ulf" > wrote
> >
> >> The exhaust on my '86 BMW 323i is leaking between the headers and
> >> front muffler. So while driving slowly and standing still some of the
> >> exhaust fumes are drawn into the car. This is very unpleasant,
> >> especially since the car doesn't have a cat and is using a lot of oil.
> >> I've tried sealing the leak with a paste, however it only lasted a few
> >> weeks and now it's leaking again. Here's a picture so you can see what
> >> I mean:
> >>
> >> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/IMG_0974.JPG

> > That's one of the most-rusted header/muffler joint's I've seen. The
> > near joint is missing it's compression seal and clamp. You'll need
> > to take it apart and install a new one - they're inexpensive but the
> > job is going to be hard - best to torch off the bolts on the other
> > one and install new ones there, too.

> Thanks, but that sounded like too much work so I've tried sealing it
> with two component cement instead. Exhaust gases, or maybe it's only
> burned oil, is still entering the car though. Could the engine block be
> hot enough for oil to form fumes, or will that only happen to oil
> dripping on the headers/exhaust system? I know there's an oil leak at
> the front of the engine, but it's not that close to the exhaust.

I seriously doubt you will find a glue that will not burn off. Oil leaks can
be blown back on thne motor to a point that allows it to drip onto the
exhaust system. If this is happening, the only sloution is to fix the leak.

Your exhaust problem can be deadly though. I would encourage you to keep a
window open all of the time, or better, get the damn thing fixed.

Old December 8th 04, 11:37 PM
Ted Johnson

>Your exhaust problem can be deadly though. I would encourage you to keep a
>window open all of the time, or better, get the damn thing fixed.

Or get a snorkel, like the guy in this story from June 2004 "Rock and
Ice" magazine (excerpt appended).

---- cut here ----

-"Rock and Ice", June 2004

For better or worse, my climbing partner for Peru last summer was
Jim Earl. He had an obsession with junker cars, had completed probably
more first ascents than any active Montana climber, and professed a
special love for Jesus. About 10 years ago he drove a 1976 Datsun 710
station wagon whose tail end always dragged. It was dented, paint-peeling
yellow, and adorned with a sequined crucifix that glittered in the sun and
seemed a bit too large for the rearview mirror. The crucifix came with the
junker, giving the car its name, and Jim deemed suggestions to remove the
crucifix as blasphemous. But Jesus had problems. Exhaust leaks caused
carbon-monoxide poisioning. Jim's girlfriend threw trantrums upon any
suggestion that she ride in Jesus. Even Jim couldn't last long - but he's
a practical man, so he drove the 500 miles to his summer guiding job with
a snorkel in his mouth, attached to vinyl tubing leading to a funnel
duct-taped to the roof. He sputtered along the interstate, oblivious
to the bewildered family vacationers in minivans alongside him.

Incredibly, that summer Jim stumbled upon someone with the identical
car - make, year, color, everything. Engine didn't work, body was fine: $25.
Jim had both carrs on a friend's lawn, a complex array of pulley systems
rigged from trees, and was swapping engines. He'd no mechanical background
and no guidance, but "How hard can it be?" Jim asked. Swap the engine, swap
the plates, ditch the leftover nuts and bolts, re-hang the crucifix,
and Jesus hath risen.
Old December 9th 04, 06:03 PM
Ulf

fbloogyudsr wrote:
> "Ulf" > wrote
>
>> Thanks, but that sounded like too much work so I've tried sealing it
>> with two component cement instead. Exhaust gases, or maybe it's only
>> burned oil, is still entering the car though. Could the engine block
>> be hot enough for oil to form fumes, or will that only happen to oil
>> dripping on the headers/exhaust system? I know there's an oil leak at
>> the front of the engine, but it's not that close to the exhaust.

> Check the hood seal - if it's leaking you can get engine compartment
> air into the vent inlet ducts. The rubber is likely to be non-pliable on
> a car of your's age.

Thanks for the tip. It looks ok, but just to be sure I ordered a new one.

> Floyd

Ulf
Old December 9th 04, 06:09 PM
Ulf

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Ulf" > wrote in message
>
>>fbloogyudsr wrote:
>>
>>>"Ulf" > wrote

>>>That's one of the most-rusted header/muffler joint's I've seen. The
>>>near joint is missing it's compression seal and clamp. You'll need
>>>to take it apart and install a new one - they're inexpensive but the
>>>job is going to be hard - best to torch off the bolts on the other
>>>one and install new ones there, too.

>>Thanks, but that sounded like too much work so I've tried sealing it
>>with two component cement instead. Exhaust gases, or maybe it's only
>>burned oil, is still entering the car though. Could the engine block be
>>hot enough for oil to form fumes, or will that only happen to oil
>>dripping on the headers/exhaust system? I know there's an oil leak at
>>the front of the engine, but it's not that close to the exhaust.
>>

> I seriously doubt you will find a glue that will not burn off. Oil leaks can
> be blown back on thne motor to a point that allows it to drip onto the
> exhaust system. If this is happening, the only sloution is to fix the leak.

You were right. It didn't last many miles... :-( I'll look at it
tomorrow and see if I can figure out something else. Removing the
exhaust system seems like a lot of work.

> Your exhaust problem can be deadly though. I would encourage you to keep a
> window open all of the time, or better, get the damn thing fixed.

I open the sunroof a little, it helps with the smell too.

>>>It's probably hard - it's under the back seat. It might be the hose
>>>joining the two together, which is easier.

>>Hmm, filling half tank is easier, and cheaper... :-)
>>

>>>Floyd

>>Ulf

Ulf
Old December 9th 04, 08:29 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:

> >>Thanks, but that sounded like too much work so I've tried sealing it
> >>with two component cement instead. Exhaust gases, or maybe it's only
> >>burned oil, is still entering the car though. Could the engine block be
> >>hot enough for oil to form fumes, or will that only happen to oil
> >>dripping on the headers/exhaust system? I know there's an oil leak at
> >>the front of the engine, but it's not that close to the exhaust.
> >>

> > I seriously doubt you will find a glue that will not burn off. Oil leaks

can
> > be blown back on thne motor to a point that allows it to drip onto the
> > exhaust system. If this is happening, the only sloution is to fix the

leak.

> You were right. It didn't last many miles... :-( I'll look at it
> tomorrow and see if I can figure out something else. Removing the
> exhaust system seems like a lot of work.

There are exhaust clamps that you can put on. Visualize a clamp that is
round like the pipe, but long - maybe 6 inches or so. On each end is a hose
clamp-like thingy. This would solve your immediate problem of noise and
exhaust fumes, it would not cure any oil dripping onto the exhaust system
though.

Old December 10th 04, 05:12 PM
Ulf

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Ulf" > wrote in message
>
>>Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>>"Ulf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>I seriously doubt you will find a glue that will not burn off. Oil leaks

> can
>
>>>be blown back on thne motor to a point that allows it to drip onto the
>>>exhaust system. If this is happening, the only sloution is to fix the

> leak.
>
>>You were right. It didn't last many miles... :-( I'll look at it
>>tomorrow and see if I can figure out something else. Removing the
>>exhaust system seems like a lot of work.
>>

> There are exhaust clamps that you can put on. Visualize a clamp that is
> round like the pipe, but long - maybe 6 inches or so. On each end is a hose
> clamp-like thingy. This would solve your immediate problem of noise and
> exhaust fumes, it would not cure any oil dripping onto the exhaust system
> though.

I've seen those, however I doubt it would fit over the that triangular
thing with holes in it. I've done another (temporary?) fix, if that
doesn't work I have no other choice than to take it apart and fix it for
real. BTW, thanks for your help.

http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/IMG_0981.JPG

Ulf

Leaking exhaust Ulf BMW 10 December 10th 04 05:12 PM
Exhaust Leak Ltine 4x4 3 August 27th 04 01:50 AM
93 SW2 Exhaust, how many pieces Zaf Saturn 0 June 1st 04 07:38 PM
1969 Fairlane Dual Exhaust Rob N Antique cars 1 April 21st 04 12:47 AM