Suspension problem

Old December 8th 04, 04:09 PM
Mike Romain

Default Suspension problem

They used to have 5 mph bumpers.

That is about it though.

New vehicles are the opposite of what you are looking for, they are
designed to collapse so the people don't take as much of a hit.

You hit a culvert or side of a driveway and all the weight of that van
is compressed into one corner with gravity and momentum pushing it.

I think you got off lucky with the damage, the frame/body could easily
be twisted too from a drop corner hit, that can really twist things up
if it was a ditch drop.

I think I would be investing in winter tires so your new front end
'stays' new. These all season things just don't cut it, they are too
much of a compromise as your wife now knows.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 8th 04, 10:23 PM
James C. Reeves

"Ivan Lu" > wrote in message
. ..
| Recently my wife had a skid on the newly snowed ground when driving our
| Dodge caravan. It happened when she started off on a slightly steep slope
| and going downward. It went on a speed lower than 20KM and came to stop
| after hitting a side of a driveway. Then, it could not move anymore. When
| the car was towed to a Dodge dealer and after examination, we were told that
| the suspenpion of the front right side was broken. The whole set including
| shaft needed to be replaced. It costs 5K Canadian to repair it. Does anybody
| know if it would happen as I wonder if it involves manufactuering defect of
| the part.

Daughter did something similar to a '89 Dakota 4x4 I used to have. Cracked the
Pittman arm.

Old December 10th 04, 04:56 AM
Ivan Lu

Thanks Mike for your comments.