Warning, don't pour

Old July 5th 17, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Default Warning, don't pour

micky wrote:

> So my question is, will pouring a little gas into the air intake help to
> start a car that has run out of gas

Not since about 1984 when gasoline powered vehicles put the pump in the fuel tank.

Old July 6th 17, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 07/05/2017 02:28 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> micky wrote:
>

>> So my question is, will pouring a little gas into the air intake help to
>> start a car that has run out of gas

> Not since about 1984 when gasoline powered vehicles put the pump in the fuel tank.

Our 70 Dodge pickup has its pump in the tank, which is right behind the
seat. Kind of scary when you think about it.

--
Cheers, Bev
You need only three tools: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't

Old July 6th 17, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 07/05/2017 12:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 5:52:13 AM UTC-10, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 07/05/2017 07:45 AM, micky wrote:
>>
>>> 2) I learned to not pour eveything into the gas tank and save
>>> some for the carburetor. I'd guess between a quarter and an
>>> eighth of a cup, maybe less. That always worked well.

>> We always did that. Never a fire.
>>
>>> I think I tried starter fluid earlier, but maybe the car didn't
>>> run as long on starter fluid as it did on gasoline.

>> Long ago we bought a motorhome that had been sitting for quite a
>> while. We drove it home slowly, but it didn't have enough power
>> (marginal fuel pump, maybe?) to make it up the "hill" out of the
>> railroad underpass. BUT by feeding starting fluid direct to the
>> carb (engine is right there between the front seats) we made it
>> out.

> Sounds like you had a clogged fuel filter. I had a clogged fuel
> filter in my Mazda RX2. My solution was to drive real slow from
> Nevada to San Mateo at night. That was damn exciting! That tiny
> engine had a huge 4 barrel carb. It was hungry all the time.

Could be, it was a while back. 76 Southwind 27' monsterhome. Took it
across the country and back and up to Canada and back. 8mpg, 5 mph
uphill. First time we ever put more than $100 into a gas tank, and this
was back in 1988 or so.

Exciting: pushing the 78 Caddy with the blown rod from the top of Cajon
Pass to Pasadena at 2am with the van. Tied a tire to the front of the
van and pushed the Caddy up to as fast as possible and then let it
coast. Approach, push, repeat. Worst part was making a sharp left
turn uphill into the driveway. Amazed that we didn't see a single cop.

Exciting2: Coming back from the mountains with a shot clutch. Screaming
along at 15mph on I-10. Rode the shoulder all the way. Scary crossing
the on/offramps. Finally had to call AAA when I couldn't make it up the
hill at I-57. I just hated to admit defeat.

Old July 6th 17, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 07/05/2017 02:28 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> micky wrote:
>>

>>> So my question is, will pouring a little gas into the air intake help to
>>> start a car that has run out of gas

>> Not since about 1984 when gasoline powered vehicles put the pump in the fuel tank.

> Our 70 Dodge pickup has its pump in the tank, which is right behind the seat. Kind of
> scary when you think about it.

Our Ford pickup trucks had the tank behind the seat.
Never heard of one doing bad things in a crash but that was a long time ago.

Old July 6th 17, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett

On 7/6/17 1:40 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Not since about 1984 when gasoline powered vehicles put the pump in
>>> the fuel tank.

>> Our 70 Dodge pickup has its pump in the tank, which is right behind
>> the seat. Kind of
>> scary when you think about it.

> Our Ford pickup trucks had the tank behind the seat.
> Never heard of one doing bad things in a crash but that was a long time
> ago.

Yeah, I had a '77 Ford F-150 4WD with the 400 inch engine. That baby
came with two 25 gallon fast-draining fuel tanks- one of which was
right behind the seat. You could hear the gas slosh when you hit the
brakes or made a sharp turn.

In yet another another stroke of design genius, the filler necks were on
opposite sides of the vehicle. A real PIA at gas up time.

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
Old July 7th 17, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 22:23:55 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>Could be, it was a while back. 76 Southwind 27' monsterhome. Took it
>across the country and back and up to Canada and back. 8mpg, 5 mph
>uphill. First time we ever put more than $100 into a gas tank, and this
>was back in 1988 or so.
>
>Exciting: pushing the 78 Caddy with the blown rod from the top of Cajon
>Pass to Pasadena at 2am with the van. Tied a tire to the front of the
>van and pushed the Caddy up to as fast as possible and then let it
>coast. Approach, push, repeat. Worst part was making a sharp left
>turn uphill into the driveway. Amazed that we didn't see a single cop.

I saw you but I thought you were so crazy, I was afraid to approach you.

>Exciting2: Coming back from the mountains with a shot clutch. Screaming
>along at 15mph on I-10. Rode the shoulder all the way. Scary crossing
>the on/offramps. Finally had to call AAA when I couldn't make it up the
>hill at I-57. I just hated to admit defeat.
>
>Cheers, Bev
> You need only three tools: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't

This must be why they include a claw hammer in tool kits sold for cars.

Officer Friendly

Old July 7th 17, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 07/06/2017 08:19 PM, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 22:23:55 -0700, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>>
>>Exciting: pushing the 78 Caddy with the blown rod from the top of Cajon

It had under 80K miles when it blew a rod coming back from Las Vegas.
POS, just like the 88 Caddy.

>>Pass to Pasadena at 2am with the van. Tied a tire to the front of the
>>van and pushed the Caddy up to as fast as possible and then let it
>>coast. Approach, push, repeat. Worst part was making a sharp left
>>turn uphill into the driveway. Amazed that we didn't see a single cop.

> I saw you but I thought you were so crazy, I was afraid to approach you.

Screaming down Cajon Pass in neutral in the dark, passing trucks, brakes
and steering without power (a real bitch in a 78 Caddy). I put the
headlights on when I thought there might be a cop around, but I was
lucky. If I'd seen you I might not have waved -- death grip on the wheel.

--
Cheers, Bev
I remember when everybody posted to Usenet with their real,

Pour info kiki Audi 2 December 8th 05 06:34 PM
Why Pump When you can Pour? Garth Almgren Driving 2 June 9th 05 06:07 AM
how doesn't Liz pour deeply Henry Technology 0 January 14th 05 11:01 PM
i am simply rude, so I pour you Alice General 0 January 14th 05 10:42 PM
there, go pour a tape Cypriene Technology 0 January 14th 05 09:43 PM