How Much Can CNN Get Wrong About F1 Engines, Physics In One Article?

Old August 18th 13, 03:35 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

Default How Much Can CNN Get Wrong About F1 Engines, Physics In One Article?

On 8/18/2013 6:01 AM, trotsky (Bronstein?) wrote:
>> Where was the editor?

> At a NASCAR race.

Uh, the correct spelling is NA$CAR.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 18th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.tech
trotsky

On 8/18/13 9:35 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/18/2013 6:01 AM, trotsky (Bronstein?) wrote:
>>> Where was the editor?

>> At a NASCAR race.

> Uh, the correct spelling is NA$CAR.

At my house the correct spelling is Bull$hit.

--
Never post something on the internet unless you have a point of
reference. You will look like a moron otherwise.
Old August 18th 13, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:16:49 AM UTC-5, trotsky wrote:

> >> At a NASCAR race.

> > Uh, the correct spelling is NA$CAR.

> At my house the correct spelling is Bull$hit.
>

> --
>
> Never post something on the internet unless you have a point of
>
> reference. You will look like a moron otherwise.

Buffalo are not Bison and Bison are not Buffalo, there is a huge difference there. There are African Buffalo and there are Asian Buffalo. I saw Asian Buffalo when I was in Vietnam in 1964.
Old August 18th 13, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

JR > wrote:

>Buffalo are not Bison and Bison are not Buffalo, there is a huge difference there. There are African Buffalo and there are Asian Buffalo. I saw Asian Buffalo when I was in Vietnam in 1964.

If you had a steak in any NCO club, you probably ate some too.
--scott

Old August 18th 13, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/18/2013 12:38 PM, JR wrote:
> On Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:16:49 AM UTC-5, trotsky wrote:

>>> Uh, the correct spelling is NA$CAR.

>> At my house the correct spelling is Bull$hit.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Never post something on the internet unless you have a point of
>>
>> reference. You will look like a moron otherwise.

> Buffalo are not Bison and Bison are not Buffalo, there is a huge difference there. There are African Buffalo and there are Asian Buffalo. I saw Asian Buffalo when I was in Vietnam in 1964.

There are also European bison (Bison bonasus).

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 19th 13, 07:48 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.tech
WrongWayWade

Ubiquitous wrote:
> I think CNN must be hiring Amish kids on Rumspringa for its
> motorsports writers. That's really the only way you could explain the
> rich, lavish ignorance of how cars work as demonstrated in this
> article about turbo engines returning to F1.
>
> The basic facts are there — F1 regulations are calling for a return to
> turbocharged engines, which will be returning to F1 after 26 years,
> and that first Renault RS01 back in '77 certainly did have its share
> of teething issues, and would often dramatically blow its engine,
> like many of the other early turbocharged cars.
>
> http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18wt.../ku-xlarge.gif
>
> Where the CNN article gets into trouble is when the writer attempts to
> explain how the turbo engines are different:
>
> While a standard engine is powered by a belt connected to the
> crankshaft, a turbo engine runs on its own exhaust steam,
> making it more energy efficient.

The other thing they completely missed (and which is much more interesting)
about the new F1 racecars is the ERS-K system (basically a hybrid-type
electric motor boost) that uses the heat from the exhaust to generate
electricity to charge the electric motor. This is much more powerful than
just using the wheels to recharge during braking. 161 bhp is more than what
many economy cars generate.

The ERS unit captures waste heat as it is dispelled from the exhaust
turbocharger, using an electrical device known as a Heat Motor Generator
Unit. This waste heat is stored as an electrical charge until it is utilised
by a complementary system called the Kinetic Motor Generator Unit. This
device is connected directly to the drive train to deliver the additional
power in the most direct and efficient way.[59][60] In combination with the
ERS-K it will give drivers an additional 161 bhp (120 kW) for thirty-three
seconds per lap, compared to the ERS-K units used prior to 2014, which gave
drivers 80 bhp (60 kW) for six seconds per lap.[57]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Formula_One_season

Old August 19th 13, 09:20 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.tech
Phil Carmody

dave > writes:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:07:59 -0400, Ubiquitous wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> I can supply an even greater example of newser ignorance. I worked at the
> Kennedy Space Center for about 4 years, so I know its layout.
> When the newsers were covering a lunar or space shuttle launch, they
> would usually refer to the launch site as "Cape Canaveral". This is
> wrong. The specific launch site is Merritt Island. The Cape was used only
> for launching satellites.
>
> Anyone with any knowledge of KSC would know this, especially Walter
> Cronkite, so-called spokesman for America's space program. A space
> shuttle could no more be launched from the cape than Walter Cronkite
> could give birth to a healthy baby.

Good point - that annoyed me too. I just did a google search, and indeed
lots of people make that mistake.

The problem is that *some* of KSC is actually on Cape Canaveral, in
particular the region around launch site 39A, although it is of course
not part of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

I've attempted to fix the Cape Canaveral wikipedia page, if you'd like to
review the changes, I'd be grateful. If you give a ****, I'm not 100% sure
I do, but I did the changes anyway, as I was bored! (And thus my changes
may be sloppy.)

Phil
--
If "law-abiding citizens have nothing to fear" from privacy-invading
technologies and policies, then law-abiding governments should have
Old August 25th 13, 10:17 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.tech
Brian Thorn

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:48:20 -0500, dave > wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:07:59 -0400, Ubiquitous wrote:
><snipped>
>
>I can supply an even greater example of newser ignorance. I worked at the
>Kennedy Space Center for about 4 years, so I know its layout.
>When the newsers were covering a lunar or space shuttle launch, they
>would usually refer to the launch site as "Cape Canaveral". This is
>wrong.

It is geographically known as the False Cape, but the entire region is
widely considered part of Cape Canaveral. That's why Canaveral
National Seashore has its name.

>The specific launch site is Merritt Island.

Only because they built the Crawlerway (causeway) connecting Merritt
Island to the barrier island on which Pads 39A and 39B stand. Thus,
Merritt Island is no longer an island, it is a peninsula.

>The Cape was used only
>for launching satellites.

And all manned launches from Freedom 7 to Apollo 7.

>Anyone with any knowledge of KSC would know this, especially Walter
>Cronkite, so-called spokesman for America's space program. A space
>shuttle could no more be launched from the cape than Walter Cronkite
>could give birth to a healthy baby.

The entire area is almost universally called "The Cape".

Brian