1996 TOYOTA RAV4 TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Old June 30th 13, 09:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noel

Default 1996 TOYOTA RAV4 TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Hi Guys!

I own a 1996 Toyota Rav4 which makes a knocking sound when i shift from N to R.
I visited a local tech who suggested that the transmission was gone, so we replaced the transmission. Now reverse engages just fine but when i shift from N to D, it makes that knocking sound (a bang). I want to customize the car (give it a facelift) but i cant carry on before i sort out this problem.. Any ideas?
Old June 30th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

Noel wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> I own a 1996 Toyota Rav4 which makes a knocking sound when i shift
> from N to R. I visited a local tech who suggested that the
> transmission was gone, so we replaced the transmission. Now reverse
> engages just fine but when i shift from N to D, it makes that
> knocking sound (a bang). I want to customize the car (give it a
> facelift) but i cant carry on before i sort out this problem. Any
> ideas?

it would seem your second 17 year old transmission is just as broken as
the first one....if indeed the noise was/is transmission related at all.

GW
Old July 1st 13, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/30/2013 02:09 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:
<clarity>
> if indeed the noise was/is transmission related at all.

indeed.

a friend has a 98 rav4 - 360k miles, only problem he's had is a cracked
exhaust manifold. i think the op needs a mechanic that knows what
they're actually doing, not one who simply replaces transmissions by way
of guesswork.

--
fact check required
Old July 1st 13, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 01:07:12 -0700 (PDT), Noel >
wrote:

>Hi Guys!
>
>I own a 1996 Toyota Rav4 which makes a knocking sound when i shift from N to R.
>I visited a local tech who suggested that the transmission was gone, so we replaced the transmission. Now reverse engages just fine but when i shift from N to D, it makes that knocking sound (a bang). I want to customize the car (give it a facelift) but i cant carry on before i sort out this problem. Any ideas?

Just out of curiosity, are you saying that the transmission was
working fine other then it made a noise when you shifted from N to R
and you had it rebuilt because of that one noise even though it was
otherwise working just fine?
Old July 1st 13, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension Works

On 7/1/13 2:59 AM, jim beam wrote:
> On 06/30/2013 02:09 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:
> <clarity>
> > if indeed the noise was/is transmission related at all.

> indeed.
>
> a friend has a 98 rav4 - 360k miles, only problem he's had is a cracked
> exhaust manifold. i think the op needs a mechanic that knows what
> they're actually doing, not one who simply replaces transmissions by way
> of guesswork.

It's a moot point on a car where engineers who were
working on awd did not know what they were doing

Old August 5th 13, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hey there,
My RAV had the same problem. When I took it to the mechanic, he said it's something to do with the engine mount being a bit crummy, and the insides being slightly loose. This could be the problem with yours? The fix ended up costing me about $150 all up.