Tire load

Old November 22nd 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
dsi1[_10_]

Default Tire load

On 11/21/2011 11:37 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
_
> "T"?? I'm surprised. Typcially V- or higher speed-rated tires have
> more flexible sidewalls that appear flattish even at spec PSI. And 65
> is hahhdly low profile as far as contemporary tires go.
>

> hmmm.
>
> -CC

My tires have fooled me many times. I guess that's why I keep it at 40
lbs. It also has some weird thing going on with the sidewalls. It looks
like it's riding on them about halfway up. It's the darnedest thing that
I've never seen before. This is on a Hyundai Sonata. I wanted a nice,
comfortable, inexpensive family car but those 50 series, V-rated, tires
are going to cost a lot to replace.
Old November 23rd 11, 08:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AD[_2_]

On Nov 21, 6:24*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 05:37 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > Most engineers derate their designs. And for tires, they have to
> > consider what forces it could survive under the worst circumstances -
> > 7 years old, worn to the wear bars and improperly inflated in -40 OR
> > 115degreeF weather. What a new, properly inflated/maintained tire can
> > SURVIVE is a lot different than 'recommended use'.

> if this guy can read an article from tire rack, which is aimed pretty
> danged low, and still fail to understand, then i think we're wasting our
> time.

I think I know the type: the one who tries to shuffle incompetence
under
the mask condescending remarks. Any other houses of cards
you want to show me? Lets discuss the likelyhood of honda
offering a Fit with a turbodiesel in the states hoping
that VW marketing missed something. Do you still want to humor me?
Old November 23rd 11, 08:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Nov 21, 9:07*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On Nov 16, 3:38*am, AD > wrote:
>

> > Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> > mandatory :-[
> > I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> > right was nearly off
> > the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> > rear sway bars and i think
> > that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

> > The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> > severely squished,
> > as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> > It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
> > overloaded while FL was
> > carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> > about 3800lbs worth of
> > a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> > to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

> > Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> > 1520lbs.
> > If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> > waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> > A blowout is sure to follow or not?

> > Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> > capacity should drop lower yet, right?

> > thanks

> I had that happen to me the other day. The tire looked deflated but it
> was approaching *40 lbs when I measured it. These are Michelin Pilots.

There is a lot of Michelin Pilot models covering a few performance
categories. Do be sure to provide the full model name.

> I don't much care for them cause the rubber seems awfully soft and
> it's all tore up.

Well, "highway all-season" category seems to have been created for
people who value durability over grip. Also you could try
to go to a smaller wheel diameter necessitating a taller sidewall
to keep outer tire diameter about the same.

If you do not meticulously check the pressure just about every other
morning
you could also consider trading up to the current crop: from what
I hear uncle sam was insistent on making tire pressure monitoring
standard recently.
Sigh.
Old November 23rd 11, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
dsi1[_9_]

On 11/22/2011 9:11 PM, AD wrote:
> On Nov 21, 9:07 pm, > wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 3:38 am, > wrote:
>>

>>> Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
>>> mandatory :-[
>>> I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
>>> right was nearly off
>>> the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
>>> rear sway bars and i think
>>> that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

>>> The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
>>> severely squished,
>>> as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
>>> It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR& RL) were severely
>>> overloaded while FL was
>>> carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
>>> about 3800lbs worth of
>>> a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
>>> to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

>>> Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
>>> 1520lbs.
>>> If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
>>> waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
>>> A blowout is sure to follow or not?

>>> Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
>>> capacity should drop lower yet, right?

>>> thanks

>> I had that happen to me the other day. The tire looked deflated but it
>> was approaching 40 lbs when I measured it. These are Michelin Pilots.

> There is a lot of Michelin Pilot models covering a few performance
> categories. Do be sure to provide the full model name.

Pilot MXM4 P225/50R17 93V - any info on what the "93" means? I probably
won't be getting Michelin tires again unless they're going for a low
price. I never did like that brand for some reason. OTOH, I used to have
skinny Michelins on my VW Rabbit. Those worked pretty good. If I entered
a corner a little too fast, the car would just slip sidewards without
under or over steer. That was fun stuff.

>> I don't much care for them cause the rubber seems awfully soft and
>> it's all tore up.

> Well, "highway all-season" category seems to have been created for
> people who value durability over grip. Also you could try
> to go to a smaller wheel diameter necessitating a taller sidewall
> to keep outer tire diameter about the same.

I like to buy cheap tires cause I don't drive long distances nor do I go
very fast. According to my on-board computer, my average speed is 14
MPH. (-:

Old November 23rd 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/22/2011 11:05 PM, AD wrote:
> On Nov 21, 6:24�pm, jim > wrote:
>> On 11/21/2011 05:37 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Most engineers derate their designs. And for tires, they have to
>>> consider what forces it could survive under the worst circumstances -
>>> 7 years old, worn to the wear bars and improperly inflated in -40 OR
>>> 115degreeF weather. What a new, properly inflated/maintained tire can
>>> SURVIVE is a lot different than 'recommended use'.

>> if this guy can read an article from tire rack, which is aimed pretty
>> danged low, and still fail to understand, then i think we're wasting our
>> time.
>>

> I think I know the type: the one who tries to shuffle incompetence
> under
> the mask condescending remarks.

are ****ed that people aren't playing your little game. or you didn't
but are having a problem with learning something new.

> Any other houses of cards
> you want to show me? Lets discuss the likelyhood of honda
> offering a Fit with a turbodiesel in the states hoping
> that VW marketing missed something. Do you still want to humor me?

sure, go ahead and share what you think you know. but don't bother if
you just want to speculate or rumor.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 25th 11, 08:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.subaru,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Nov 22, 3:29*am, gregz > wrote:
> AD > wrote:
> > Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> > mandatory :-[
> > I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> > right was nearly off
> > the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> > rear sway bars and i think
> > that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

> > The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> > severely squished,
> > as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> > It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
> > overloaded while FL was
> > carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> > about 3800lbs worth of
> > a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> > to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

> > Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> > 1520lbs.
> > If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> > waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> > A blowout is sure to follow or not?

> > Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> > capacity should drop lower yet, right?

> > thanks

> Story reminds me what dealer said to me in the 70s where euro tires did not
> hold up over Pittsburgh potholes. He mentioned Michelin. He was showing how
> stiff these v rated Ferrari designed Michelin xwx tires rated v. Wow that
> was $600 in 1978 dollars for the set.

That's what I paid for my XI2 set in 2011. coming from subaru 5sp+awd
I have serious doubts in torsen
snow handling prowess and, thusly, decided to have tires with a known
good "plowing through the snow"
capability

though i must say handling of packed dirt on a hill incline
(unpleasantly) surprised me:
I was spinning wheels with no water (snow or ice) in sight. That's at
around 40-45F

i'm not surprised audi is ditching torsen on 2012 A4: i guess its
cheaper for them than
to propagate active rear diff from S5 throughout the rest of the
lineup. Sigh.
Old November 25th 11, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AD[_2_]

[some nonsense snipped]

> > Any other houses of cards
> > you want to show me? Lets discuss the likelyhood of honda
> > offering a Fit with a turbodiesel in the states hoping
> > that VW marketing missed something. Do you still want to humor me?

> sure, go ahead and share what you think you know. *but don't bother if
> you just want to speculate or rumor.

I know (for a fact) that the majority of the americans does not buy
diesels.
thusly Introducing 'em (diesels) anywhere south of the premium segment
is
a suicidal act and you seem to have a problem
with the ways of the universe on your side of the pond.

Your countrymen do not like tractors. there won't be a subcompact
turbodiesel offered for sale this decade in the US, get used to it.
Old November 28th 11, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Nov 23, 1:28*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 9:11 PM, AD wrote:

> >> I had that happen to me the other day. The tire looked deflated but it
> >> was approaching *40 lbs when I measured it. These are Michelin Pilots.

> > There is a lot of Michelin Pilot models covering a few performance
> > categories. Do be sure to provide the full model name.

> Pilot MXM4 P225/50R17 93V - any info on what the "93" means? I probably

that's the load index:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&currentpage=3

> won't be getting Michelin tires again unless they're going for a low
> price. I never did like that brand for some reason. OTOH, I used to have
> skinny Michelins on my VW Rabbit. Those worked pretty good. If I entered
> a corner a little too fast, the car would just slip sidewards without
> under or over steer. That was fun stuff.

Michelin makes stone hard "calling all the cops" tires (that's the
"highway all season category")
for "fun" like that. Just as any other tire maker. As I said, in the
US of A that
is a cop bait in case you like spirited cornering.

> >> I don't much care for them cause the rubber seems awfully soft and
> >> it's all tore up.

> > Well, "highway all-season" category seems to have been created for
> > people who value durability over grip. Also you could try
> > to go to a smaller wheel diameter necessitating a taller sidewall
> > to keep outer tire diameter about the same.

> I like to buy cheap tires cause I don't drive long distances nor do I go
> very fast. According to my on-board computer, my average speed is 14
> MPH. (-:

if you don't drive long distances i see no reason to skimp on tires.
your gripes about mxm4 make little sense to me then.
I have ContiProContacts that are in the same league as mxm4 and
they seem to wear slowly, at least in the moderate climate i live in.
As you would expect from zero grip tires in the all season group.
My brother swears by MXM4s. But, then, he never drove on UHP
or max/extreme perf tires, The ones that does not squeal when sliding
sideways on dry pavement.

Tire load ratings Kurt P. Herzog 4x4 4 June 4th 07 02:52 PM
concord,ca police department gives people tickets that have 525lbs. in a 1 ton pu truck and when the tire load range. on ea tire is 3042lbs. blue sky Driving 2 March 19th 06 06:58 PM