The Green Car of Today

Old November 28th 10, 11:25 PM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

Default The Green Car of Today

The green car of today is the turbo-diesel. Now the current turbo-
diesels don't rattle and don't puff smoke. They don't have a large
amount of horsepower but they do have a large amount of torque and
that really better suits the way that we drive.

And so politicians and upper-economic-class-persons can show that they
are serious about concerns of global warming by buying the 2011
Mercedes-Benz E-350 BlueTEC tubo-diesel. Now this car is efficient for
one reason of being a sedan rather than an SUV because an SUV is just
pushing air. Then the car is efficient for the second reason of being
a turbo-diesel and getting a fuel mileage of 22/33 MPG. The weight of
the car is surprising at 234 pounds more than a standard E-350.

Another turbo-diesel is the 2011 VW Jetta TDI. And here the fuel
mileage is 30/42 MPG.

Not convinced ? Well, peak torque of these tubo-diesel cars occurs at
about 2500 RPM and that's an easy car to drive.
Old November 29th 10, 05:04 AM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/28/2010 03:25 PM, PolicySpy wrote:
> The green car of today is the turbo-diesel. Now the current turbo-
> diesels don't rattle and don't puff smoke. They don't have a large
> amount of horsepower but they do have a large amount of torque and
> that really better suits the way that we drive.
>
> And so politicians and upper-economic-class-persons can show that they
> are serious about concerns of global warming by buying the 2011
> Mercedes-Benz E-350 BlueTEC tubo-diesel. Now this car is efficient for
> one reason of being a sedan rather than an SUV because an SUV is just
> pushing air. Then the car is efficient for the second reason of being
> a turbo-diesel and getting a fuel mileage of 22/33 MPG. The weight of
> the car is surprising at 234 pounds more than a standard E-350.
>
> Another turbo-diesel is the 2011 VW Jetta TDI. And here the fuel
> mileage is 30/42 MPG.
>
> Not convinced ? Well, peak torque of these tubo-diesel cars occurs at
> about 2500 RPM and that's an easy car to drive.

there's every technical reason to endorse diesel, but a significant
eco-political barrier that will ensure widespread adoption never happens
- usa total average fuel sales would drop.

our friends in the oil industry, and the political lap-dogs that pander
to them, will never allow the average american to start driving a
vehicle that gets mpg's in the high 30's, let alone 40's, because sales
volumes would drop - maybe as much as 50%. [currently, passenger cars
across the usa average in the low 20's mpg.] every trick in the book
will therefore be used to ensure diesels, and their significantly better
fuel economy, remain marginalized. these tricks include raising
"emissions" barriers to impossible levels and bull****ting about "oh, we
can't make that proportion of diesel out of a barrel of oil", which in
the age of modern catalytic refineries, is categorically untrue.

bottom line, yes, modern diesels are awesome. but they ain't gonna
happen.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 29th 10, 12:07 PM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
The PHANTOM

On Nov 28, 5:25*pm, PolicySpy > wrote:
> The green car of today is the turbo-diesel. Now the current turbo-
> diesels don't rattle and don't puff smoke. They don't have a large
> amount of horsepower but they do have a large amount of torque and
> that really better suits the way that we drive.
>
> And so politicians and upper-economic-class-persons can show that they
> are serious about concerns of global warming by buying the 2011
> Mercedes-Benz E-350 BlueTEC tubo-diesel. Now this car is efficient for
> one reason of being a sedan rather than an SUV because an SUV is just
> pushing air. Then the car is efficient for the second reason of being
> a turbo-diesel and getting a fuel mileage of 22/33 MPG. The weight of
> the car is surprising at 234 pounds more than a standard E-350.
>
> Another turbo-diesel is the 2011 VW Jetta TDI. And here the fuel
> mileage is 30/42 MPG.
>
> Not convinced ? Well, peak torque of these tubo-diesel cars occurs at
> about 2500 RPM and that's an easy car to drive.

Torque?? Are you gonna use it to pull a plow??
Old November 29th 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Average MPG of Ford Model T cars was about 25 MPG.
cuhulin

Old November 29th 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

http://www.wanttoknow.info/050711carmileageaveragempg

Blame it on the politicians.
wearethegovtandweareheretohelpyou.
cuhulin

Old November 29th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Listening to a local radio talk show.The talk show host guy said there
isn't enough electricity in the grid to keep those electric cars charged
up, most of that electricity has to come from fossil fuels.There is more
natural gas in the ground than we will ever use.Fed govt wants everybody
to buy efficent home appliances, but they want you to buy electric cars.

I believe the talk show host is right.
cuhulin

Old November 29th 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2010-11-29, > wrote:
> Average MPG of Ford Model T cars was about 25 MPG.

Maybe we need cars that use radio fuel, after all if something isn't done
we might run out of oil by 1940 or so:

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/s...ar1936_0001.jp

Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)
"0bama snoozed while oil oozed."
Old November 29th 10, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_8_]

On 11/29/2010 8:51 AM, wrote:
> Listening to a local radio talk show.The talk show host guy said there
> isn't enough electricity in the grid to keep those electric cars charged
> up, most of that electricity has to come from fossil fuels.There is more
> natural gas in the ground than we will ever use.Fed govt wants everybody
> to buy efficent home appliances, but they want you to buy electric cars.
>
> I believe the talk show host is right.
> cuhulin

You're right that the infrastructure wasn't built to handle the power
requirements that will be needed for a nation of electric cars, then
again, when Ford came out with the Model T, there wasn't a whole bunch
of gas stations around either.

You're probably right that most of the electricity will initially have
to come from burning fossil fuels, however, it's probably more efficient
to go this route than to use fossil fuels to provide energy to refine
the gasoline then use more fossil fuels to move the gas to your
location. My guess is that you'd save a whole crapload of fossil fuel by
using it to turn electric motors rather than burning it in engines. In
the end, the sum total is what counts.

Personally, I could use a short range electric car today - the fact that
I can avoid having to ever go to a gas station again would be a big plus.