X5 Wheel size Pro and Cons

Old June 11th 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DougA

Default X5 Wheel size Pro and Cons

I am looking at a used X5 and have the choice of 4 different wheels to go on
it: 17, 18, 19 or 20 inch.

In terms of ride which will be the most comfy?

Which wheel/tire combo will weigh the most? Will I feel this weigh in ride
comfort? More unsprung weight?

It seems to me that the 20 inch wheels will beat me up in ride, give the
best handling in the summer but have to be changed out when the going gets
snowy and icey? Almost the most expensive for tire choice?

douga

Old June 12th 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"DougA" > wrote
>I am looking at a used X5 and have the choice of 4 different wheels to go
>on it: 17, 18, 19 or 20 inch.
>
> In terms of ride which will be the most comfy?

That's easy" the 17". Taller sidewalls (a consequence of choosing
small wheels) are always cushier than the shorter ones on big wheels.

> Which wheel/tire combo will weigh the most? Will I feel this weigh in
> ride comfort? More unsprung weight?

The taller wheels (20") generally weigh more, unless you go to a forged
or otherwise expensive wheel. Tires weigh slightly less the bigger the
wheel size, but not enough to out-weigh the wheel.

> It seems to me that the 20 inch wheels will beat me up in ride, give the
> best handling in the summer but have to be changed out when the going gets
> snowy and icey? Almost the most expensive for tire choice?

Exactly. And it's very hard to get snow tires in large wheel sizes.

FloydR

Old June 12th 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"DougA" > wrote in message
>I am looking at a used X5 and have the choice of 4 different wheels to go
>on it: 17, 18, 19 or 20 inch.
>
> In terms of ride which will be the most comfy?
>
> Which wheel/tire combo will weigh the most? Will I feel this weigh in
> ride comfort? More unsprung weight?
>
> It seems to me that the 20 inch wheels will beat me up in ride, give the
> best handling in the summer but have to be changed out when the going gets
> snowy and icey? Almost the most expensive for tire choice?
>
> douga

It is a trade off between ride and handling.

Generally the lower the profile the better the handling, but the harsher the
ride.

Relevant for a vehicle that is supposed to be 4X4 is that low profiles are
much more likely to suffer sidewall damage e.g. from kerbing the car or
objects or potholes in partly or unmade roads.

As the X5 is basically a wheeled barge, get sensible tyres for its use and
use the change to buy something to race round in.

Old June 12th 07, 01:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

DougA wrote:
> I am looking at a used X5 and have the choice of 4 different wheels to go on
> it: 17, 18, 19 or 20 inch.

OK, I'll jump in here and seehow many I can get right. ;-)

> In terms of ride which will be the most comfy?

17"

> Which wheel/tire combo will weigh the most?

All other things being equal, larger wheels will always weigh more. so
the dubs will be most porky.

> Will I feel this weigh in ride
> comfort? More unsprung weight?

Yep. Intuitive question...

> It seems to me that the 20 inch wheels will beat me up in ride, give the
> best handling in the summer but have to be changed out when the going gets
> snowy and icey? Almost the most expensive for tire choice?

Wow. You got it right first time. But "handling" is a subjective
thing. I prefer a proper size tire to a 20" rubber band any day.

--
-Fred W
Old June 12th 07, 05:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:52:33 GMT, "DougA" > wrote:

>I am looking at a used X5 and have the choice of 4 different wheels to go on
>it: 17, 18, 19 or 20 inch.
>
>In terms of ride which will be the most comfy?
>
>Which wheel/tire combo will weigh the most? Will I feel this weigh in ride
>comfort? More unsprung weight?
>
>It seems to me that the 20 inch wheels will beat me up in ride, give the
>best handling in the summer but have to be changed out when the going gets
>snowy and icey? Almost the most expensive for tire choice?
>
>douga

The first question to ask yourself is "What will I be using it for?"

If for the shopping and school run then anything that looks nice is Ok but if
you really wanted a tractor (Land Rover - Hummer etc.) then go for 18" and big
tires (Tyres) that are suitable for mud and rocks.

Horses for courses

Wheel and tire size jerryg Jeep 6 January 21st 07 08:31 PM
Wheel size 91 vs 99? [email protected] Jeep 1 May 17th 06 04:20 PM
wheel size Sheila Hoffman VW water cooled 7 October 4th 05 12:04 AM
Wheel size Henderson VW water cooled 1 September 25th 05 08:36 PM
Wheel size question.... Brian Jeep 1 December 27th 04 04:29 PM