Actual cost of installing a V8?

Old October 28th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jay Honeck

Default Actual cost of installing a V8?

We've got a 2000 Mustang convertible that a previous owner spent too
much money on making into a "Cobra clone", with the enhanced
suspension, wheels, exhaust, and cosmetic stuff. We bought it because
we wanted a nice convertible Mustang, and all that other stuff was just
gravy.

However, as time has gone on it seems like we're treating it more like
a long-term investment. I store it every winter, and we only drive it
a few thousand miles every summer, so the engine only has 52K. I've
slowly started an upgrade program (better air filtration, leather
seats, etc.), with the long-term goal of converting it into a REAL (or,
as real as we can get) Cobra.

This means, of course, installing a V8. I am not a mechanic, so I
would be looking at hiring a shop to do this. Does anyone have any
real-world experience with this? It seems like a used V8 can be had at
an auto-reclamation shop for relatively cheap -- but what's the
installation gonna cost? How many hours are we looking at? Is it a
"plug & play" conversion? What else has to be changed out?

Thanks in advance...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Backyard Mechanic

"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> We've got a 2000 Mustang convertible that a previous owner spent too
> much money on making into a "Cobra clone", with the enhanced
> suspension, wheels, exhaust, and cosmetic stuff. We bought it because
> we wanted a nice convertible Mustang, and all that other stuff was just
> gravy.
>
> However, as time has gone on it seems like we're treating it more like
> a long-term investment. I store it every winter, and we only drive it
> a few thousand miles every summer, so the engine only has 52K. I've
> slowly started an upgrade program (better air filtration, leather
> seats, etc.), with the long-term goal of converting it into a REAL (or,
> as real as we can get) Cobra.
>
> This means, of course, installing a V8. I am not a mechanic, so I
> would be looking at hiring a shop to do this. Does anyone have any
> real-world experience with this? It seems like a used V8 can be had at
> an auto-reclamation shop for relatively cheap -- but what's the
> installation gonna cost? How many hours are we looking at? Is it a
> "plug & play" conversion? What else has to be changed out?
>
> Thanks in advance...

There's STILL more to it than an engine and computer/harness swap.

The shop, if they cared about your interests, would tell you to buy a
wrecked Cobra of the same series and bring it to them. then charge you
about 2000 - 3000 for the swap

While I understand your motivation... I dont see why you want to go to
all that trouble to make it seem like it rolled off the line that way in
the first place.While it will actually be worth less than a real Cobra in
the end.

I'd suggest keeping the V-6 and making it 'all it can be' You can get
300 hp out of it pretty easily.

http://www.v6power.net/

And you get to keep MORE of the money you put into it as a motivated
buyer/buyer would spend MORE for your car than it's stock sister years
down the line. Yeah...I KNOW you plan on keeping it, that's not the
point!

The reason I understand you is that I swapped SVO drivetrain and running
gear into an 88 LX I-4 convert... but it is unique and though it's now in
fairly sad shape I was offered MORE for it that for a good shape stocker.

But there's a difference... I was trying to make it look like it might
have been stock tho the car never was built.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/35608577UNakFR

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old October 29th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
/\\rtful ]\)odger

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
>
> > We've got a 2000 Mustang convertible that a previous owner spent too
> > much money on making into a "Cobra clone", with the enhanced
> > suspension, wheels, exhaust, and cosmetic stuff. We bought it because
> > we wanted a nice convertible Mustang, and all that other stuff was just
> > gravy.
> >
> > However, as time has gone on it seems like we're treating it more like
> > a long-term investment. I store it every winter, and we only drive it
> > a few thousand miles every summer, so the engine only has 52K. I've
> > slowly started an upgrade program (better air filtration, leather
> > seats, etc.), with the long-term goal of converting it into a REAL (or,
> > as real as we can get) Cobra.
> >
> > This means, of course, installing a V8. I am not a mechanic, so I
> > would be looking at hiring a shop to do this. Does anyone have any
> > real-world experience with this? It seems like a used V8 can be had at
> > an auto-reclamation shop for relatively cheap -- but what's the
> > installation gonna cost? How many hours are we looking at? Is it a
> > "plug & play" conversion? What else has to be changed out?
> >
> > Thanks in advance...

> There's STILL more to it than an engine and computer/harness swap.
>
> The shop, if they cared about your interests, would tell you to buy a
> wrecked Cobra of the same series and bring it to them. then charge you
> about 2000 - 3000 for the swap
>
> While I understand your motivation... I dont see why you want to go to
> all that trouble to make it seem like it rolled off the line that way in
> the first place.While it will actually be worth less than a real Cobra in
> the end.
>
> I'd suggest keeping the V-6 and making it 'all it can be' You can get
> 300 hp out of it pretty easily.
>
> http://www.v6power.net/
>
> And you get to keep MORE of the money you put into it as a motivated
> buyer/buyer would spend MORE for your car than it's stock sister years
> down the line. Yeah...I KNOW you plan on keeping it, that's not the
> point!
>
> The reason I understand you is that I swapped SVO drivetrain and running
> gear into an 88 LX I-4 convert... but it is unique and though it's now in
> fairly sad shape I was offered MORE for it that for a good shape stocker.
>
> But there's a difference... I was trying to make it look like it might
> have been stock tho the car never was built.
>
> http://rides.webshots.com/album/35608577UNakFR
>

> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!

Also the conversion should require a suspension upgrade to compansate for
the added weight.

Old October 29th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jay Honeck

> While I understand your motivation... I dont see why you want to go to
> all that trouble to make it seem like it rolled off the line that way in
> the first place.While it will actually be worth less than a real Cobra in
> the end.
>
> I'd suggest keeping the V-6 and making it 'all it can be' You can get
> 300 hp out of it pretty easily.
>
> http://www.v6power.net/

Thanks for the input. I'm new to customizing cars, and hadn't really
considered resale value, but what you say makes sense.

On the other hand, nothing sounds like a big V8, and what I'm talking
about doing here isn't necessarily rational. (Is owning a convertible
in an area that snows for 5 months a year rational?) If I were doing
this for resale value, I'd need my head examined.

;-)

That said, I'm going to look into enhancing the current 6-cylinder
engine first. Thanks again.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 29th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jay Honeck

> Also the conversion should require a suspension upgrade to compansate for
> the added weight.

The suspension was modified by the previous owner as part of the
"Cobra" upgrades that he made. I'll have to check to see if that's not
already been done.

How much more does the V8 weigh?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 29th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
trainfan1

Jay Honeck wrote:
>>While I understand your motivation... I dont see why you want to go to
>>all that trouble to make it seem like it rolled off the line that way in
>>the first place.While it will actually be worth less than a real Cobra in
>>the end.
>>
>>I'd suggest keeping the V-6 and making it 'all it can be' You can get
>>300 hp out of it pretty easily.
>>
>>http://www.v6power.net/

> Thanks for the input. I'm new to customizing cars, and hadn't really
> considered resale value, but what you say makes sense.
>
> On the other hand, nothing sounds like a big V8, and what I'm talking
> about doing here isn't necessarily rational. (Is owning a convertible
> in an area that snows for 5 months a year rational?) If I were doing
> this for resale value, I'd need my head examined.
>
> ;-)
>
> That said, I'm going to look into enhancing the current 6-cylinder
> engine first. Thanks again.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> 2000 Mustang Convertible
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

The V-8 is only .8 liters, or 800cc, more than your V-6 anyway.

Rob
Old October 30th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> While I understand your motivation... I dont see why you want to go to
>> all that trouble to make it seem like it rolled off the line that way in
>> the first place.While it will actually be worth less than a real Cobra in
>> the end.
>>
>> I'd suggest keeping the V-6 and making it 'all it can be' You can get
>> 300 hp out of it pretty easily.
>>
>> http://www.v6power.net/

> Thanks for the input. I'm new to customizing cars, and hadn't really
> considered resale value, but what you say makes sense.
>
> On the other hand, nothing sounds like a big V8,

FYI,
A 4.6 is NOT a big V-8, it is actually a SMALL V-8.
Over 7 liters is a big V-8...

Old October 30th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

Just find a v-8 convertible or better yet a hardtop, have both one to pamper
and one to thrash. late 90's early 00's are real bargins right now, even if
you have to travel a little to get the right car.

Old October 30th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
wabbitslayer

nevermind all these naysayers, drop this in and call it a day:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9285

and they even call it a "Cobra Special"...

wabbitslayer
01 GT vert

Old October 31st 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jay Honeck

> nevermind all these naysayers, drop this in and call it a day:
>
> http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9285
>
> and they even call it a "Cobra Special"...

Sweet! Any idea what is involved with "dropping this in" to a
relatively stock 5-speed Mustang?

I suspect it's not "plug & play"...
--
Jay Honeck