DANA 35 dying

Old January 3rd 05, 02:51 PM
Ben

Default DANA 35 dying

Well.. Driving around yesterday my Jeep's rear diff started to make the
familar grinding noise of bearings going bad.. My mother in law had the same
thing happen to her Cherokee so I was familar with the noise.. I knew it was
going to happen sooner or later.. Was hoping later.. But gave me the excuse
to convince the wife to replace it with a Ford 8.8 then to fix the D35.. I
was amazed when she said go ahead but I have to wait for the all mighty Tax
return.. So.. While my Jeep is parked in the garage and getting ready for
the swap, I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice.. The Jeep is on
stock springs for now.. If I get more then I am expecting, I might get a
lift kit (2in or so)... I have read so many right ups and have read people
saying everything from.. It bolted right in to people having to shorten the
drive shaft... I know the backspacing on the stock rims are too much for the
Ford 8.8 which is fine.. I am going to order new rims when I get my new
tires (BF Goodrich AT KO).. What backspacing should I get for the Ford 8.8?
Should I get a SYE and CV driveshaft?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L with a dying D35

Old January 3rd 05, 03:27 PM
Greg

When doing my daughter's 35, my brother-in-law, master Ford machanic, and
long time 4 wheeler said don't bother with 8.8, go 9", said 8.8 wont last,
so I asked at a local garage I go to, what would he put in, 9", don't bother
with the 8.8. She's had it in for 8 months, great rear end, detroit put in 3
weeks ago, she loves it.

Old January 3rd 05, 06:15 PM
Kevin in San Diego

4.5" of bs is great for the xj for what u are doing. SYE is always good to
get. sooner or later you will need it.
KH

Old January 3rd 05, 09:13 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Ben,
Figuring in the price of your 4.11 gears, I would look for an old
CJ-5, Scout, or Wagoneer's Dana 44:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/d44.html Or if there's a V8 in
your futu http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/convaxle/ford9.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 4th 05, 03:08 AM

if ya get a dana 20 out of a 80-84 wagneer it will bolt in and comes
with one pice axels but a 6 bolt patern so have them re drilled