Need ways to start a car with a dead battery.- 92 Civic Auto.

Old February 18th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Need ways to start a car with a dead battery.- 92 Civic Auto.

In article .com>,
Ricky Spartacus > wrote:
>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote
>> Kaz Kylheku > wrote:

>> >You do understand that when you push-start a car, that causes the
>> >alternator to spin, which generates electricity, right?

>> You seem to be a little behind. If your battery is actually dead, the
>> alternator doesn't generate electricity when it spins.

>For one thing, if an alternator needs power to its field
>coil in order to work then how did the car run without
>the battery?

If you start a car and disconnect the battery, it will remain running
off the alternator. Once it is running the alternator does not need
_external_ power to its field coil. However, note that the battery
does provide some voltage regulation to the whole system, so
electrical devices may behave erratically if you don't have the
battery in there. (seen it myself)
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 18th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Don Bruder > wrote:
>In article >,
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>
>> you probably can't push start an alternator car completely without a
>> battery, unless there is enough residual magnetism in the field coils to
>> allow the alternator to bootstrap itself.

>At which point, the diodes will probably go up in smoke, leaving you
>with a dead (if present) battery, *AND* a dead alternator.
>
>Running an alternator no-load/micro-load is a great method of letting
>the magic moke out of the diodes.

The other electrical accessories are enough to keep the diodes from
going up in smoke. Been there, done that, when a battery wire terminal
corroded all the way through.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 18th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Mike Romain > wrote:

>On 'modern' vehicles, if you disconnect the battery, the open ended
>alternator surge 'will' destroy the computer, ignition module, stereo if
>turned on and any other electronic part active before the alternator
>itself smokes out.

No, it won't. I've had a battery terminal corrode through and nothing
of the sort happened. Granted, that was not a completely modern car
(electronic ignition, but carbeurated). I've also run a modern car
with a battery which was damaged and not taking a charge; while the
gauges acted erratically and the car idled badly, it was not instantly
damaged.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 19th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

I have seen a mess of newer ones killed like mentioned....

Carb engines are different animals.

Mike

Old February 19th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

In article > ,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

> In article >,
> Don Bruder > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Nate Nagel > wrote:
> >>
> >> you probably can't push start an alternator car completely without a
> >> battery, unless there is enough residual magnetism in the field coils to
> >> allow the alternator to bootstrap itself.

> >At which point, the diodes will probably go up in smoke, leaving you
> >with a dead (if present) battery, *AND* a dead alternator.
> >
> >Running an alternator no-load/micro-load is a great method of letting
> >the magic moke out of the diodes.

> The other electrical accessories are enough to keep the diodes from
> going up in smoke. Been there, done that, when a battery wire terminal
> corroded all the way through.

Tell that to the alternator that died with a very visible (and
aromatic...) cloud of smoke, a pop that sounded about like a .22 going
off, and a "bacon frying" sound that was easily audible over the normal
engine noise when, instead of just twisting the ground cable on the
battery post as I was trying to do, I managed to lift it off the post
and fumble it instead.

There might have been ten seconds, if that long, of "no battery
connection" involved as I retrieved the cable end, got it lined up, and
stuck it back on the post, but by the time that was accomplished, the
smell of burnt electronics was overwhelming. Testing it on the local
Kragen's machine an hour or so later showed a bad diode trio, and the
pre-rebuild inspection later on revealed that one of them had been
reduced to a lump of char, another was split open, and the third was
just plain GONE - As in no sign of it to be seen other than a scorch
mark in the empty spot where it should have been.

(Yeah, I know... I shouldn't have been dicking with it with the engine
running - We've all got 20-20 hindsight.)

--
Don Bruder -
- If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
Old February 19th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

"Mike Romain" > wrote

> I have seen a mess of newer ones killed like mentioned....
> Carb engines are different animals.

Years ago, my 260K miles, 1988 Honda Accord fuel injection
battery cable was cut by the fireman who was at the scene of the
accident. The car idled smoothly for maybe 10 minutes until I'd
shut it off. I still drive it today.

I believe there is a button you can push on these alternator to
go full field. Otherwise, they're self regulated. Last I'd checked,
the voltage never exceeded 15V when idling with the battery
cable unplugged.