Accord coupe - washer fluid container

Old January 17th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

Default Accord coupe - washer fluid container

For the second time I needed to refil washer fluid in
my 2004 accord coupe. I got the 1 gallon jug from the
store when the washer nozzles stopped delivering fluid.
Poured the bottle but before the bottle was empty
the container in the car was full and overflowing.
2-3 inches of the fluid left unused in the bottle.

Is this what you get? Or my pump is not sucking all
the fluid from the container?

Why would you design a car with a washer fluid
container just smaller than the widely available
container the fluid is sold in the stores?

Would you consider it as a bad design?
Old January 17th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_14_]

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> For the second time I needed to refil washer fluid in
> my 2004 accord coupe. I got the 1 gallon jug from the
> store when the washer nozzles stopped delivering fluid.
> Poured the bottle but before the bottle was empty
> the container in the car was full and overflowing.
> 2-3 inches of the fluid left unused in the bottle.
>
> Is this what you get? Or my pump is not sucking all
> the fluid from the container?
>
> Why would you design a car with a washer fluid
> container just smaller than the widely available
> container the fluid is sold in the stores?
>
> Would you consider it as a bad design?

If your preferred method is to suck the reservoir absolutely dry before
refilling it, thus risking being without washer fluid at some point when you
really need it, then yes, I suppose you might consider it a bad design.

If, on the other hand, you do what a lot of people do and add fluid to the
reservoir periodically before it's completely dry, and then put the bottle
back in the garage for next time, then it really doesn't much matter how big
either the reservoir or the bottle is, does it?

Old January 17th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Paul" > wrote in message . ..
> If your preferred method is to suck the reservoir absolutely dry before
> refilling it, thus risking being without washer fluid at some point when you
> really need it, then yes, I suppose you might consider it a bad design.
>
> If, on the other hand, you do what a lot of people do and add fluid to the
> reservoir periodically before it's completely dry, and then put the bottle
> back in the garage for next time, then it really doesn't much matter how big
> either the reservoir or the bottle is, does it?

I can see you are an old fashioned guy who likes to spend time
with his car and keep the garage full of funny bottles... :-)

Good design in my opinion would be low fluid warning light
on the dashboard and reservoir big enough to hold FULL bottle
when the warning ligth comes on to minimalise required mainenance.

The only warning I get from my accord is that the stream of
water is weaker, but then I have 2-3 more attempts and it is dry.
Even then it does not hold the full bottle, which is sad... :-)

Don't get me wrong, but I am comparing this accord to my old
1995 camry, which it happens had the reservoid big enought
to hold the full gallon of fluid in one big gulp.
Old January 17th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:49:24 -0600, Pszemol > wrote:
>For the second time I needed to refil washer fluid in
>my 2004 accord coupe. I got the 1 gallon jug from the
>store when the washer nozzles stopped delivering fluid.
>Poured the bottle but before the bottle was empty
>the container in the car was full and overflowing.
>2-3 inches of the fluid left unused in the bottle.

>Is this what you get? Or my pump is not sucking all
>the fluid from the container?

>Why would you design a car with a washer fluid
>container just smaller than the widely available
>container the fluid is sold in the stores?

For the same reason you don't design all cars with a 200 gallon fuel tank.

>Would you consider it as a bad design?

Only if you expect to have a lot of owners without the technical skills
required to reseal a container and stow it away.
Old January 17th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:02:02 -0600, Pszemol > wrote:
>"Paul" > wrote in message . ..
>> If your preferred method is to suck the reservoir absolutely dry before
>> refilling it, thus risking being without washer fluid at some point when you
>> really need it, then yes, I suppose you might consider it a bad design.
>>
>> If, on the other hand, you do what a lot of people do and add fluid to the
>> reservoir periodically before it's completely dry, and then put the bottle
>> back in the garage for next time, then it really doesn't much matter how big
>> either the reservoir or the bottle is, does it?

>I can see you are an old fashioned guy who likes to spend time
>with his car and keep the garage full of funny bottles... :-)

>Good design in my opinion would be low fluid warning light
>on the dashboard and reservoir big enough to hold FULL bottle
>when the warning ligth comes on to minimalise required mainenance.

some cars do. If they all did, then you'd be whining that it
doesn't hold a 5 gallon drum puchased at costco.
Old January 18th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
JM[_1_]

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> I can see you are an old fashioned guy who likes to spend time
> with his car and keep the garage full of funny bottles... :-)
> Good design in my opinion would be low fluid warning light
> on the dashboard and reservoir big enough to hold FULL bottle
> when the warning ligth comes on to minimalise required mainenance.
> The only warning I get from my accord is that the stream of
> water is weaker, but then I have 2-3 more attempts and it is dry.
> Even then it does not hold the full bottle, which is sad... :-)

My '01 coupe has a warning light, and when it comes on I can put an entire
jug of washer fluid in and still have room left for more... Maybe it's
because I'm in Canada (the frozen white north and all), or maybe the design
of the '04 required a smaller reservoir.

Old January 18th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Jones

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> For the second time I needed to refil washer fluid in
> my 2004 accord coupe. I got the 1 gallon jug from the
> store when the washer nozzles stopped delivering fluid.
> Poured the bottle but before the bottle was empty
> the container in the car was full and overflowing.
> 2-3 inches of the fluid left unused in the bottle.
>
> Is this what you get? Or my pump is not sucking all
> the fluid from the container?
>
> Why would you design a car with a washer fluid
> container just smaller than the widely available
> container the fluid is sold in the stores?
>
> Would you consider it as a bad design?

Not really, you can use the extra to clean your windows.

Old January 18th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:02:02 -0600, Pszemol > wrote:
>>"Paul" > wrote in message . ..
>>> If your preferred method is to suck the reservoir absolutely dry before
>>> refilling it, thus risking being without washer fluid at some point when you
>>> really need it, then yes, I suppose you might consider it a bad design.
>>>
>>> If, on the other hand, you do what a lot of people do and add fluid to the
>>> reservoir periodically before it's completely dry, and then put the bottle
>>> back in the garage for next time, then it really doesn't much matter how big
>>> either the reservoir or the bottle is, does it?

>>I can see you are an old fashioned guy who likes to spend time
>>with his car and keep the garage full of funny bottles... :-)

>>Good design in my opinion would be low fluid warning light
>>on the dashboard and reservoir big enough to hold FULL bottle
>>when the warning ligth comes on to minimalise required mainenance.

> some cars do. If they all did, then you'd be whining that it
> doesn't hold a 5 gallon drum puchased at costco.

Bad argument, since 1 gallon jug is *the smallest* amount
of washer fluid you can buy in a retail stores...
Old January 18th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"JM" > wrote in message ...
> "Pszemol" > wrote in message
>> I can see you are an old fashioned guy who likes to spend time
>> with his car and keep the garage full of funny bottles... :-)
>> Good design in my opinion would be low fluid warning light
>> on the dashboard and reservoir big enough to hold FULL bottle
>> when the warning ligth comes on to minimalise required mainenance.
>> The only warning I get from my accord is that the stream of
>> water is weaker, but then I have 2-3 more attempts and it is dry.
>> Even then it does not hold the full bottle, which is sad... :-)

> My '01 coupe has a warning light, and when it comes on I can put an entire
> jug of washer fluid in and still have room left for more... Maybe it's
> because I'm in Canada (the frozen white north and all), or maybe the design
> of the '04 required a smaller reservoir.

In my user manual there is a note about warning light for
Canadian models, even for 2004. I think I will look around
for a Canadian version of the washer reservoid then :-))
Old January 18th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message ...
> For the same reason you don't design all cars with a 200 gallon fuel tank.

This is your second stupid analogy in this thread...

Where can you buy fuel in 200 gallon barrels in retail?
I would suggest you think your responses trough before
you hit the send button...

>>Would you consider it as a bad design?

> Only if you expect to have a lot of owners without the technical skills
> required to reseal a container and stow it away.

I am sure you have technical skills to get up from the
couch and walk to the TV to change the channel but you
still think it is very convenient to use the remote...

It is not that I cannot put the cap back on the bottle
and store the bottle - I just see it as very inconvenient.
If it was - let's say - half bottle left unused - then
I would understand, but we are talking about 10-15%.
Do they REALLY had such a hard time squizing this extra
pint into the very slightly bigger reservoir? Doubt it.
They just did not care. Lack of attention to details?

Washer Fluid Anyroadup BMW 17 October 23rd 07 02:56 PM
Window washer fluid fix. J J Technology 0 November 23rd 06 08:48 PM
Pls help - Quick Q about washer fluid for 530 Dizzy Bird via CarKB.com BMW 0 April 4th 05 12:17 AM
Washer fluid low Geir R.Pettersson Jeep 9 January 18th 05 08:28 AM
Best washer fluid for bugs? Sanjay Punjab General 0 July 4th 04 10:12 PM