90 Accord EX

Old November 11th 04, 11:08 PM
mccorm

Default 90 Accord EX

I have a 90 Accord EX, love it!!!! Very clean car, even w/ almost 200k
miles. The car is having a hesitation problem when taking off from a dead
stop. It does seem like you can throttle through the hesitation, b/c once
above 30-40mph it runs great. It also does it when cruising and giving it
just a little throttle. Any suggestions, someone had mentioned the speed
senor?

Old November 12th 04, 12:20 AM
motsco_ _

mccorm wrote:
> I have a 90 Accord EX, love it!!!! Very clean car, even w/ almost 200k
> miles. The car is having a hesitation problem when taking off from a dead
> stop. It does seem like you can throttle through the hesitation, b/c once
> above 30-40mph it runs great. It also does it when cruising and giving it
> just a little throttle. Any suggestions, someone had mentioned the speed
> senor?

===================
Run a few tanks of gasohol thru it, or one can of Techron injector
cleaner. Was your timing belt replaced recently? what shape are your
plugs in?

If it always happens at the _exact_ RPM, it's likely your Throttle
Position Sensor, because of your mileage.

'Curly'

Old November 13th 04, 05:37 PM
PS

Have you ever checked or cleaned the egr ports?

PS

lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 15th 04, 09:38 AM
Red Cloud

"mccorm" > wrote in message alkaboutautos.com>...
> I have a 90 Accord EX, love it!!!! Very clean car, even w/ almost 200k
> miles. The car is having a hesitation problem when taking off from a dead
> stop. It does seem like you can throttle through the hesitation, b/c once
> above 30-40mph it runs great. It also does it when cruising and giving it
> just a little throttle. Any suggestions, someone had mentioned the speed
> senor?

Mine 89 civic over 220K miles do same hestitation on idle and first 5
minutes
of driving. After that it runs good. Are you having a problem on
uphill driving? This is my big problem when I go to mountain, the car
has no power unless I have to use shift my gear to D3 or D4. Someone
told me I have to
increasing throttle responding.
Old November 15th 04, 07:25 PM
Slipnfall

Hi there,
The 4th gen accords were a great bunch IMHO. Mine has only let me
sitting once, when my ign coil went bad(I saw it coming). It is a very
reliable and sturdy car - I really beat mine around and it still runs
great. Some things to keep an eye out for...

CV joins - make sure the boots are kept in good shape, replace if
necc. This'll save you a costly CV joint.
Rear wheel brake cyl's: have been known to leak: fix this asap if you
notice fluid in/around the drum or a change in braking. Can cause loss
of braking control in the right situations.
Distributor: watch for oil or red dust in the cap - signs the bearing
or seal is going.
Distrib: ignition coils/ignitors have been known to go bad. Will leave
you sitting if it does. Signs include extremely hard to start
sometimes, while others it will fire right up. All this stuff is
crammed into the distributor housing FYI.
Ign relay: similar simptoms to above, won't start in cold weather,
will in warm
Timing/ballancer belt: this is probably the most important/most $$$
service: have it done no later than 120k. Make sure you replace the
H20 pump at the same time also!(a seized water pump can cause the
timing belt to break)
EGR ports: have them serviced/cleaned at aroud 120k to prevent
problems down the road. They will clog eventually.

That's all I can think of for now.
HTH,
-Jamie

PS-forgot one last thing: look out for developing rust behind the rear
tires on the edge of the fenders; if you have a sun-roof, this is
where the drain hoses exit, and can get backed up with leaves/etc.
Blow it out w/a a compressor to keep it free of debree(both sides of
my car are beginning to rust out due to this neglect)

ORIGINAL POST:
My wife has a 90 accord with 60K miles. Any opinions on whether this
is still a good car?
Anyone had problems?
Anything we should look out for?