whooshing sound when removing gas cap

Old April 12th 19, 08:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default whooshing sound when removing gas cap

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 04/05/2019 11:58 PM, Steve W. wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> From what I read, that closes when fuel gets high enough in the neck,
>>> right? I would assume that it's located to prevent overflow...
>>>
>>> What actually makes the nozzle shut off? Upon occasion I've put in at
>>> least another gallon after the first automatic click-thunk shutoff. I
>>> like to fill it as full as possible -- you never can tell when you'll
>>> just be able to make it to the Mesquite station on fumes because it was
>>> too hard to find a cheap gas station in Vegas.

>> No the flap I'm talking about is the one the fuel fill nozzle opens just
>> below the cap. That stays open while filling to allow vapor to pass the
>> pump nozzle. It acts as a valve to keep debris out as well as a
>> restriction to keep people from using the wrong pump to fill the tank
>> (diesel usually has a larger nozzle diameter that won't fit) Plus it
>> helps prevent the fuel from pouring out at the instant the nozzle trips off.

> I first saw those when unleaded became the only option (remember smog
> heads?) and thought it was just to restrict the size of the nozzle that
> could be inserted.
>
>> The nozzle shuts off when it detects a change in vacuum inside the
>> handle. If you look inside a nozzle you will see a small hole or tube
>> inside. While filling the gas flow over the hole/tube creates a vacuum.
>> While gas is flowing that vacuum doesn't do much. However as soon as the
>> tank is full the gas backs up in the fill neck. That blocks the
>> tube/hole and the instant lack of vacuum trips a small diaphragm inside
>> the filler handle which stops the fuel.

> Given my sinful triple-top-up procedure, I've observed that different
> pumps have different levels of stoppage. Is there an actual standard?

Most of the time the "standard" is simply that it shuts off before it
sprays you with fuel.
It all depends on the flow rate from the pump and how well the fuel tank
accepts high flow of fuel. Get a real fast pump and try feeding some of
the imports where the fuel neck is just a hair larger than a garden hose
and it can be interesting. Most vehicles have multiple restrictions in
the filler neck and tank as well. Things like a screen to prevent
siphoning or the rollover ball in the top of the tank or the vapor vent
from the tank being small.

--
Steve W.
Old April 12th 19, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 2:53:34 AM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:

> >> No the flap I'm talking about is the one the fuel fill nozzle opens just
> >> below the cap. That stays open while filling to allow vapor to pass the
> >> pump nozzle. It acts as a valve to keep debris out as well as a
> >> restriction to keep people from using the wrong pump to fill the tank
> >> (diesel usually has a larger nozzle diameter that won't fit) Plus it
> >> helps prevent the fuel from pouring out at the instant the nozzle trips off.

> > I first saw those when unleaded became the only option (remember smog
> > heads?) and thought it was just to restrict the size of the nozzle that
> > could be inserted.
> >
> >> The nozzle shuts off when it detects a change in vacuum inside the
> >> handle. If you look inside a nozzle you will see a small hole or tube
> >> inside. While filling the gas flow over the hole/tube creates a vacuum.
> >> While gas is flowing that vacuum doesn't do much. However as soon as the
> >> tank is full the gas backs up in the fill neck. That blocks the
> >> tube/hole and the instant lack of vacuum trips a small diaphragm inside
> >> the filler handle which stops the fuel.

> > Given my sinful triple-top-up procedure, I've observed that different
> > pumps have different levels of stoppage. Is there an actual standard?
> >

> Most of the time the "standard" is simply that it shuts off before it
> sprays you with fuel.
> It all depends on the flow rate from the pump and how well the fuel tank
> accepts high flow of fuel. Get a real fast pump and try feeding some of
> the imports where the fuel neck is just a hair larger than a garden hose
> and it can be interesting. Most vehicles have multiple restrictions in
> the filler neck and tank as well. Things like a screen to prevent
> siphoning or the rollover ball in the top of the tank or the vapor vent
> from the tank being small.
>
> --
> Steve W.

If you get a Check fuel filter light?
www.arcamax.com/business/businessnews/s-2197190

audi a4 whooshing noise wangela13 Audi 6 December 28th 06 09:53 PM
RFactor: F1 1979 Sound Update - No Engine Sound! BRH Simulators 4 September 7th 06 10:58 PM
Removing EGR Mel P. VW air cooled 0 October 31st 05 02:36 PM
Removing EGR on FI Bug Mel P. VW air cooled 3 September 25th 05 07:59 PM
removing LCD from '95 Bones Corvette 0 August 25th 05 03:04 PM