A Money Pit

Old November 28th 05, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default A Money Pit

Boy am I learning more about VW's then I thought that I did. Some of you
know my story of finding a real steal of a VW. It had been stolen and then
rolled into a lake. It was not in the water but for a few hours and it did
not even have any water get into the oil pan. The main problem was when it
was pulled out of the water they ran the straps through the front doors and
distoryed the roof. Otherwise it looked ok. It had set for about 3 years and
I got it for 100.00. It has now become a money pit, like the movie. I have
owned and worked on Vw's since the late 60's and felt that I was up to the
task even though I am now disabled and can only do so much at a time. I tell
you I have almost bit off more then I can chew with the few teeth that I
have left. First off I cut the top off and pulled the engine. After taking
the engine apart I found that the inside was in preety good shape, just some
rust in a couple of cly's. After cleaning the cly's and pistons up and
checking everything over I put it back togather and reinstalled it, DUMB. At
first I was just going to put the pan repair kits in and then I found a deal
on a pair of full pans. Why OH why didn't someone kick my butt. I am now
trying to replace them without taking the body off. Today I was trying to
get the bolts off and even though I still have not gotten them out I have 3
new cuts on my hands. I could move them a little and wd-40 them and move
them a little more in between having the socket slip and getting a new cut
and a few chouse words. As I was working on the rear bolt underneth I see
that the rear end is welded to the pan so I will have to atleast move the
body up a few inchs to get this cut off. I am sure glad that I don't need
the car all that bad. I just love bugs and wanted another one. My last was
many years ago and they are so much fun to run around in. I hate driving
what everyone else has and feeling like one in the hurd of cows. The weather
is now turning and I have to work outside so it looks like this project will
not get done until sometime next year. One good thing about here in east Tx.
it will not be all that cold nor will it last for long. It can be great
getting out some days in Jan. in shirtsleeve's. Not much said as to how to
help with anything it is just blowing off some steam after a days work and
to let everyone know that they are not the only ones out their having a hell
of a time whipping these old bugs into shape.

Old November 29th 05, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:30:28 GMT, "Packrat46"
> wrote:

>Boy am I learning more about VW's then I thought that I did. Some of you
>know my story of finding a real steal of a VW. It had been stolen and then
>rolled into a lake. It was not in the water but for a few hours and it did
>not even have any water get into the oil pan. The main problem was when it
>was pulled out of the water they ran the straps through the front doors and
>distoryed the roof. Otherwise it looked ok. It had set for about 3 years and
>I got it for 100.00. It has now become a money pit, like the movie. I have
>owned and worked on Vw's since the late 60's and felt that I was up to the
>task even though I am now disabled and can only do so much at a time. I tell
>you I have almost bit off more then I can chew with the few teeth that I
>have left. First off I cut the top off and pulled the engine. After taking
>the engine apart I found that the inside was in preety good shape, just some
>rust in a couple of cly's. After cleaning the cly's and pistons up and
>checking everything over I put it back togather and reinstalled it, DUMB. At
>first I was just going to put the pan repair kits in and then I found a deal
>on a pair of full pans. Why OH why didn't someone kick my butt. I am now
>trying to replace them without taking the body off. Today I was trying to
>get the bolts off and even though I still have not gotten them out I have 3
>new cuts on my hands. I could move them a little and wd-40 them and move
>them a little more in between having the socket slip and getting a new cut
>and a few chouse words. As I was working on the rear bolt underneth I see
>that the rear end is welded to the pan so I will have to atleast move the
>body up a few inchs to get this cut off. I am sure glad that I don't need
>the car all that bad. I just love bugs and wanted another one. My last was
>many years ago and they are so much fun to run around in. I hate driving
>what everyone else has and feeling like one in the hurd of cows. The weather
>is now turning and I have to work outside so it looks like this project will
>not get done until sometime next year. One good thing about here in east Tx.
>it will not be all that cold nor will it last for long. It can be great
>getting out some days in Jan. in shirtsleeve's. Not much said as to how to
>help with anything it is just blowing off some steam after a days work and
>to let everyone know that they are not the only ones out their having a hell
>of a time whipping these old bugs into shape.

Sorry to hear that, man. If you were closer, I'd come over and help
you curse Your warm weather in January sounds much more appealing
that our CT snow.

In lieu of that, here's my 2c:
Did something similar a couple of months ago and found that WD40 did
not really help me very much as it did not seem to penetrate well.
You'll need a good penetrating oil (PB blaster, Kroil) and the trick
will be to get the oil onto the threads and plate that the bolt is
holding onto -- and that you don't have good access to. I poked holes
in the heater channels and sprayed the stuff in.
Of course, I am replacing my channels so didn't care about doing
damage. Maybe - in an extreme case only - you can drill a small hole
to spray oil through a straw and carefully reclose the hole with seam
sealer when you're all done.. <that's just a though -- maybe someone
else here knows of a much better trick>

An impact wrench set to low also helps to shock the rust free. Or
maybe put a socket onto the bolt and tap the end of the bar with a
deadblow hammer, also carefully shocking the bolt.
You might snap the bolt if you force it too much - you'll want to
avoid that.

Remco

Old November 29th 05, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Old November 29th 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:40:20 GMT, "Packrat46"
> wrote:

>>The way that I have been doing it is to take a half turn out and a turn and
>>a half back in. I then runit back out until it is tight and spray on more
>>wd-40 and run it back in again. I can then lay back for a while and rest. I
>>don't have the stamana that I did 12yr's ago. I can then run it back out
>>till tight and half a turn and do it all over again. So far it seems to be
>>working and I am only using a 1/4 inch braker bar so that I don't put too
>>much pressure on the bolt. I know all about the trouble of getting broken
>>bolts out, a very big pain in the butt. Having been a mechnic for about
>>40yr's I have had to many of them.

That must be frustrating, knowing how to do it yet not being able to
do as much as you used to.
With me it is the other way around (although stamina is rapidly
disappearing and not being readily replenished with knowledge

Maybe one of the locals can lend a hand? Anyone in TX in your area on
this thread?

You'll get it, I am sure. It'll just take longer. Sorry I can't be of
any help.

Remco

Old November 29th 05, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Here is a link for the Bug Me videos:
http://bugmevideo.com/

Old November 29th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Try John Henry's website - the Bug Shop. He tells of a trick using welding
to the head of the bolt.

Fweem.

Dave

--