OK - New to Acuras - Got some noob type Questions

Old January 22nd 05, 05:12 PM

Default OK - New to Acuras - Got some noob type Questions

Hello everybody.

My buddy picked up an 88 Integra, 5 door. Nice car. Some Questions:

- What digit in the VIN verifies the Model Year? (It was built in January.)

- If this thing _is_ an 88 then the motor in it is a 1.6 D16A1, right?
Yes, No, Maybe?

- Who makes the Shop Repair Manual for these things? I think there will
be a Haynes available, (12020 - Integra & Legend all models '86 thru
'90) but is there a _real_ Shop manual?

I have been looking around some via Google but my Honda/Acura experience
froze back with an old girlfriend and a Civic Hatchback in the late
1980's (the really cut, square, definitive kind.)

I really, really liked that car. I miss that girl too. But that was then.

Now I am the wrench to my friend so I need to get caught up. And I have
another girlfriend.

Thx in advance,
TBerk
Old January 22nd 05, 10:55 PM
Gordon McGrew

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:12:20 GMT, T > wrote:

>Hello everybody.
>
>My buddy picked up an 88 Integra, 5 door. Nice car. Some Questions:
>

>- What digit in the VIN verifies the Model Year? (It was built in January.)
>
>- If this thing _is_ an 88 then the motor in it is a 1.6 D16A1, right?
>Yes, No, Maybe?
>
>- Who makes the Shop Repair Manual for these things? I think there will
>be a Haynes available, (12020 - Integra & Legend all models '86 thru
>'90) but is there a _real_ Shop manual?

Call an Acura dealer. They will have an 800 number (if they are still
available.)

Old January 23rd 05, 12:01 AM
SoCalMike

www.helminc.com might still have em. dunno.
Old January 23rd 05, 12:59 AM

TeGGer® wrote:
> T > wrote in
> m:
>

>>Hello everybody.
>>
>>My buddy picked up an 88 Integra, 5 door. Nice car. Some Questions:
>>

>>- What digit in the VIN verifies the Model Year? (It was built in
>>January.)

> 10th digit.
>
> "M" is 1991, so '88 might be "J". Confirm with dealer.

Ooh, Information.

>>- If this thing _is_ an 88 then the motor in it is a 1.6 D16A1, right?
>>Yes, No, Maybe?

> D16A3 if it's really an '88.
> http://www.superhonda.com/tech/honda_engine_codes.html

Ah, and Links too.

>>- Who makes the Shop Repair Manual for these things? I think there
>>will be a Haynes available, (12020 - Integra & Legend all models '86
>>thru '90) but is there a _real_ Shop manual?

> www.helminc.com
>
> The real McCoy and approximately 8,000,000% better then Haynes. Worth every
> single penny.

Thx Everybody. I know of <http://www.rb.com> Bentley for Audi/VWs but
the Honda/Acura scene is new to me.

As I was writing this the actual owner called me from the road to help
get directions to a local Pick n' Pull parts yard. He was on the cell
phone and steering wheel, I was on the home phone and keyboard.

Aint Modern Tech a wunnerful thing?

TBerk
Old January 23rd 05, 07:45 AM
SoCalMike

T wrote:

> Thx Everybody. I know of <http://www.rb.com> Bentley for Audi/VWs but
> the Honda/Acura scene is new to me.

yup. bentley is to VW what helm is to honda. in fact, helm *is* the
service manual. dunno if VW dealers use the bentley, or if VAG makes
seperate literature for the dealers service depts.
Old January 23rd 05, 01:16 PM
Steve Bigelow

"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
>T wrote:
>
>> Thx Everybody. I know of <http://www.rb.com> Bentley for Audi/VWs but the
>> Honda/Acura scene is new to me.

> yup. bentley is to VW what helm is to honda. in fact, helm *is* the
> service manual. dunno if VW dealers use the bentley, or if VAG makes
> seperate literature for the dealers service depts.

Bentley _is_ the factory service manual.

Old January 31st 05, 08:46 AM

Steve Bigelow wrote:
> "SoCalMike" > wrote in message
>
>>T wrote:
>>

>>>Thx Everybody. I know of <http://www.rb.com> Bentley for Audi/VWs but the
>>>Honda/Acura scene is new to me.

>>yup. bentley is to VW what helm is to honda. in fact, helm *is* the
>>service manual. dunno if VW dealers use the bentley, or if VAG makes
>>seperate literature for the dealers service depts.

> Bentley _is_ the factory service manual.

Yeah, its just that the shop version is sometimes printed up a little
different.

TBerk
Old January 31st 05, 08:46 AM

TeGGer® wrote:
> T > wrote in
> m:
>

>>TeGGer® wrote:

>>>"M" is 1991, so '88 might be "J". Confirm with dealer.
>>>

>>Ooh, Information.

> So...was it a "J"? I'm dyin' here, man.

Ding, Ding, Ding! It was a J in the Tenth position. An 88 as called.

>>>D16A3 if it's really an '88.
>>>http://www.superhonda.com/tech/honda_engine_codes.html
>>>

>>Ah, and Links too.

> And a very good link, it was.
>
> Your motor originally made 118bhp. Isn't that cool?
> Mine made, heh, 130. But that was 240,000 miles ago...

Yep, now I'm looking for gear ratios for the transmission, looks like an
Accord 5 speed from 85-86 was swapped in. Don't have a model number
right yet. I spawned a new thread for that one.

>>>www.helminc.com
>>>
>>>The real McCoy and approximately 8,000,000% better then Haynes. Worth
>>>every single penny.

Thats what I say about the Chilton compared to the Bentley listed below.
In the VW world the Haynes is, decent.

>>Thx Everybody. I know of <http://www.rb.com> Bentley for Audi/VWs but
>>the Honda/Acura scene is new to me.

> Write early and often, we're Here To Help. Lotsa good people here with
> lotsa Honda knowledge. And I distill all of that into the amazing and
> stellar Unofficial FAQ (having recently taken over from John Ings).

<snip>
>>Aint Modern Tech a wunnerful thing?

> ...when it works. Try administering a network composed of lusers who don't
> listen to admonitions to just Leave Things Alone.

Yep, been there, done that, twenty years worth. Looking for a new gig as
a matter of fact- SF Bay Area.

TBerk