painting over clear coated panel

Old December 26th 04, 01:02 PM
mav

Default painting over clear coated panel

Hello, ive just bought a second hand door to replace a damaged one on
my car. Now the door is in good condition but is the wrong color.
Assuming i use the same type of paint that the door is painted in can
i simply clean and rough up the clear coat on the door and paint over
it with the new color or do i have to either totally sand off the
clear coat or strip the door right back to the primer or bare metal ?
It doesnt have to be a great finish as the car isnt worth it but i
dont want to drive around with a totally different colored door on the
car.
Thanks
James
Old December 26th 04, 02:06 PM
el Diablo

"mav" > wrote in message
> Hello, ive just bought a second hand door to replace a damaged one on
> my car. Now the door is in good condition but is the wrong color.
> Assuming i use the same type of paint that the door is painted in can
> i simply clean and rough up the clear coat on the door and paint over
> it with the new color or do i have to either totally sand off the
> clear coat or strip the door right back to the primer or bare metal ?
> It doesnt have to be a great finish as the car isnt worth it but i
> dont want to drive around with a totally different colored door on the
> car.
> Thanks
> James

Providing it's OEM paint I would DA the door with 220 grit and then seal it
with a primer sealer. Then prime and paint as normal. It all depends on how
long you want it to last, if it's not prepared right it'll probably just
peel off over time.

Brian