2005 Ford Escape Limited Crappy Fuel Economy

Old December 23rd 04, 04:32 AM
Finite Guy

Default 2005 Ford Escape Limited Crappy Fuel Economy

I have a 2005 Escape Limited. What a dissapointment. I have had this
for 6 months and it is a major gas guzzler.
I realize that SUV's are generally gas hogs, but the EPA rating for
this vehicl is about 17 mpg city, 22, Highway.
My wife drives this around town and gets about 15 mpg. It gets poorer
mileage than my 98 Grand Marquis with a V-8.
I would expect that the Ford Explorer would get this kind of poor
mileage.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with this car. Maybe I
should discuss it with the dealer's service depatrment? I know
people who have a Mazda Tribute and they get much better mileage and
it is supposedly the same SUV.

Robert

Old December 23rd 04, 04:59 PM
Anumber1

"Finite Guy" > wrote in message
news
>I have a 2005 Escape Limited. What a dissapointment. I have had this
> for 6 months and it is a major gas guzzler.
> I realize that SUV's are generally gas hogs, but the EPA rating for
> this vehicl is about 17 mpg city, 22, Highway.
> My wife drives this around town and gets about 15 mpg. It gets poorer
> mileage than my 98 Grand Marquis with a V-8.
> I would expect that the Ford Explorer would get this kind of poor
> mileage.
>
> I'm wondering if there is something wrong with this car. Maybe I
> should discuss it with the dealer's service depatrment? I know
> people who have a Mazda Tribute and they get much better mileage and
> it is supposedly the same SUV.
>
> Robert

I am sure you have heard the term "your milage may vary".
Well, there you have it.
Try driving it with a extremely light foot.
It is getting about as good of mileage as you can expect, especially if you
live in a northern climate in an area with a "winter blend" mandated fuel
(more alcohol = less mpg).

Alan Gallacher
Born to Tinker!

Old December 23rd 04, 07:14 PM
David

"Finite Guy" > wrote in message news
> I'm wondering if there is something wrong with this car. Maybe I
> should discuss it with the dealer's service depatrment? I know
> people who have a Mazda Tribute and they get much better mileage and
> it is supposedly the same SUV.

It's similar. Is the gearing the same? Do you have the same engine & transmission?
They are available with 6cyl, 4cyl, & at least the Escape is available as a hybrid.

And how you drive has a big effect.

That said, your mileage sounds terrible.

Have you taken a road trip? Do you know what mileage you get on the
freeway with the cruise control set to 65 or 70MPH?

David

Old December 24th 04, 12:45 PM
finiteguy

This vehicle is 6 cylinder 4x4 . On a road trip, i think the mileage
was about 21-22 mpg.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:14:09 -0800, "David"

Old December 25th 04, 04:02 PM
Roger Maxwell

15 MPG sounds like a perfectly reasonable number given the EPA estimates for
this vehicle. My '99 Regal is rated 19 city/30 highway. I usually average
15-16 in the city and 24-26 on the highway. Don't run your A/C, never touch
your brakes, never exceed 55 MPH, never idle the vehicle, and use the
accelerator pedal like there is an egg under it, then you might get those
EPA estimates. It also doesn't hurt to make all your trips downhill and with
a tailwind - you MIGHT actually exceed the EPA estimates!

Roger

news