Another Miata - R.I.P.

Old April 3rd 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Default Another Miata - R.I.P.

XS11E > wrote:

>Grant Edwards > wrote:
>
>> Of course the buzzer only helps if the problem is the
>> headlights/parking lights...

>Of course the buzzer only helps if you can hear it. I have the
>original beeper thingy <- technical term) but if I'm out of the car I
>don't hear it and usually if I'm in the car I barely hear it, it's
>pretty wimpy. Maybe I need a new or different beeper thingy?

No. There have been claims about the sound being unbearable (everybody
else) to pleasant (me) in this group in the past. The difference is in
how you mount it. Mount it so that it directly vibrates against the
metal car skin and then warn your beloved ones that if you have an unexpected
heart attack, it is Pat who did you in.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old April 3rd 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> I have had both the $12.00 buzzer (less than $3.00 at Radio Shack) and the
> $80 priority start. The buzzer has been great, I think I have it ten
> years now. The priority start has left me stranded a few times, and buying
> a new battery I did not need, because the electronics went bad.
>
> Your guess which one I would recommend.

Well, you just un-sold that product for them. I am presuming that you
removed this thing from your miata?

Thanks!

Pat
Old April 3rd 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> As far as I am concerned, it was posted today.

> I am eastern time.
>
> Leon

My bad April Fools joke, my time zone..... :-)

Pat
Old April 3rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> No. There have been claims about the sound being unbearable (everybody
> else) to pleasant (me) in this group in the past. The difference is in
> how you mount it. Mount it so that it directly vibrates against the
> metal car skin and then warn your beloved ones that if you have an unexpected
> heart attack, it is Pat who did you in.
>
> Leon

Ok now,
the light buzzer is the only one that I would consider, because I am
never in a situation where I want the lights on and the engine off.

I want to leave the door open at times, and I like that I can do so
without draining the battery or hearing a noise.

I don't need a seatbelt buzzer because I literally never forget to put
it on. It would feel strange to drive without a seatbelt after this many
years and having never driven without them.

If you like your buzzers, that's cool, I have been pulling them for 21
years from almost every vehicle I have owned. The PO took care of it on
the one I have now.

If anyone wants a buzzer, I have about 6 of them from different M1 miatas.

Pat
Old April 3rd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-04-03, pws > wrote:

> Ok now,
> the light buzzer is the only one that I would consider, because I am
> never in a situation where I want the lights on and the engine off.

Me neither, and I see no reason for cars to even be wired so
that the lights can be on when the key isn't in the "on"
position.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! What GOOD is a
at CARDBOARD suitcase ANYWAY?
Old April 3rd 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>> I have had both the $12.00 buzzer (less than $3.00 at Radio Shack) and the
>> $80 priority start. The buzzer has been great, I think I have it ten
>> years now. The priority start has left me stranded a few times, and buying
>> a new battery I did not need, because the electronics went bad.
>>
>> Your guess which one I would recommend.

>Well, you just un-sold that product for them. I am presuming that you
>removed this thing from your miata?

Yes. I like the car to keep running.

Old April 3rd 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> because I am
> never in a situation where I want the lights on and the engine off.

Rolling down a mountain at night with a failed ignition (or out of gas)?

Ah... but even then, you don't *want* the engine off, it just *is* off...
trick question?

miker

Old April 3rd 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

miker wrote:

> Rolling down a mountain at night with a failed ignition (or out of gas)?
>
> Ah... but even then, you don't *want* the engine off, it just *is* off...
> trick question?
>
> miker

Mountains? What are those? I will find out soon enough. Departure date:
sometime in April. Lots has been done and lots left to do.

I guess that requiring the engine to be running for the lights to work
is extreme.
That could potentially interfere with diagnostic work as well. Still, it
would be nice if the result of forgetfulness was not a dead battery
every time.

My parent's Camry lights would turn themselves off after a few minutes
automatically, like many vehicles.
Then the auto-off stopped working, with the end result being a stranded
car and an even deeper distrust on my part of the ever-increasing
electronic gizmos on our cars.

Leon's experience with the priority start does not help. I am not saying
that we should go backwards in technology, but the KISS principle can be
very good.

Pat
Old April 3rd 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

I agree, simple is better. But I don't mind a little chime that says yer
lights are on, like a lights on - engine off - door open combo.

I'm always afraid I'll get out with the car running and shut the door and
the automatic locks will somehow accidentally trigger and lock me out. Or
the dog might do it - he can open windows too. So I usually open a window.

miker

Old April 4th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

miker wrote:
> I agree, simple is better.

Well, in general. I would still rather be driving a more complex modern
car than one made in the 1950's. :-)

> But I don't mind a little chime that says yer
> lights are on, like a lights on - engine off - door open combo.

That is why I am still considering it.
They need to come up with one for me with a voice recording that says,
"Hey, dumbass, you left your lights on again. Can't you see that those
huge barn doors are still up?".
I would install that one right away.

> I'm always afraid I'll get out with the car running and shut the door and
> the automatic locks will somehow accidentally trigger and lock me out.

I disabled the auto door locks, along with the alarm on my last miata.

Now we can start another long and vicious debate on the pros and cons of
auto alarms and whether ragtop car doors should be locked or not....

> Or the dog might do it - he can open windows too. So I usually open a window.
>
> miker

If you get the PRHT NC, you can teach the dog to operate the top. That
would be very cool.

Pat

FA: Flying Miata STB + Hood Prop for 1990 - 1997 Miata pws[_1_] Mazda 0 March 30th 07 02:00 PM
99 Miata ? elan Mazda 5 February 6th 07 04:34 PM
2000SE miata top FS on miata.net classifieds pws Mazda 1 December 20th 05 08:29 AM
Miata F.S. Alan Mazda 15 November 1st 05 10:06 PM
What a Miata wants to be when it gows up - Mazda Miata mini monster truck.jpg (0/1) schism Mazda 13 November 27th 04 03:18 PM