Bizarre Clutch?? problem

Old March 28th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Bizarre Clutch?? problem

OK, I have a 1990 Miata w/112,xxx miles. Sunday, I drove to my
daughter's golf practice and all was well. When we left practice I
started the car and heard an awful grinding type noise when the clutch
was depressed. I had no problem getting into gear and there was no
noise when the clutch was released, it just occurred when the clutch
was depressed. Coincidentally, the radio stopped working and the
brake light came on at exactly the same time the noise started. I
just drove the car tonight and guess what: no noise, radio works and
brake light is off???
Any ideas??

Old April 1st 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

wrote:
> OK, I have a 1990 Miata w/112,xxx miles. Sunday, I drove to my
> daughter's golf practice and all was well. When we left practice I
> started the car and heard an awful grinding type noise when the clutch
> was depressed. I had no problem getting into gear and there was no
> noise when the clutch was released, it just occurred when the clutch
> was depressed. Coincidentally, the radio stopped working and the
> brake light came on at exactly the same time the noise started. I
> just drove the car tonight and guess what: no noise, radio works and
> brake light is off???
> Any ideas??

The clutch problem is probably the spigot bearing (pilot bearing); it
has a reputation for failing before the rest of the clutch. Could also
be the release bearing (thrust bearing), but these seem to hold up better.

Whatever it is, get a new 3-part clutch kit (friction plate, cover plate
and release bearing), a new spigot bearing, main engine oil seal and
both transmission oil seals (and the paper gasket for the transmission
front cover under which the oil seal lives). You don't often have the
chance to access all of this stuff.

I had all this done a few weeks ago - the old spigot bearing was well
and truly shot.

Clutch Problem? [email protected] Jeep 1 January 1st 07 12:17 AM
V-6 Accord...Bizarre ultra-low idle problem. FunkyKev Honda 4 November 23rd 06 11:25 AM
Fan Clutch Problem phi BMW 0 October 16th 06 10:34 PM
74 ac clutch problem Jim[_4_] Corvette 0 July 26th 06 12:14 AM
94 SL clutch problem Mike Tindall Saturn 1 January 22nd 05 07:59 PM