96 Saturn SC2 - Battery light comes on after ten minutes of driving...then goes away.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:17 PM
tuko

Default 96 Saturn SC2 - Battery light comes on after ten minutes of driving...then goes away.

Any help on this topic will be greatly appreciated. When I drive for about
10 minutes, the battery light comes on and stays on steady for about 1
minute, and then it goes away. It won't come back on for the rest of the
drive. This only happens when I haven't driven the car for about 8 hours
(like in the morning or right after I finish work). The battery light
will go on regardless if I'm in idle or on local streets or on the
highway. I had my alternator checked and battery checked and they both
are fine. I had my alternator, battery, and serpentine belt (not the
tensioner) replaced about 3 weeks ago. The alternator seems to have gone
bad because power steering fluid was leaking on it from a faulty power
steering seal. I had that replaced too. I had the connections to the
alternator rechecked and also if it was bolted on tight, and that checked
out good too. Battery connections are cleaned and on tight too. Any
ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old September 3rd 04, 07:17 PM
Oppie

What is the battery voltage when the light comes on? Should be a fairly
constant 13.8V when all is functioning properly. Could it be a short in the
idiot lamp? One side of the lamp goes to the 12 switched by the ignition.
The other side of the lamp goes to the alternator (internally to the diode
trio).
Check your power grounds especially the alternator case to battery Neg for
voltage drops and add a ground strap if required.
Could also be an intermittent high current load on the system somewhere.
"Need more input" - Jonny5 from "short circuit"

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 3rd 04, 08:34 PM
tuko

OK, thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like a good place to start. Thanks
again.