12 volt flasher in 6 volt system

Old May 7th 05, 12:05 AM
Masospaghetti

Mike Romain wrote:
> Masospaghetti wrote:
>

>>Great, I will try this. Thanks for the advice. (You did mean a 12-volt
>>electronic, right?)

> Yes.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Welllllll, I tried an electronic 12 volt flasher as well as a thermal
one with no luck.

Any other ideas, or will I need a 6-volt?
Old May 7th 05, 12:50 AM
« Paul »

Masospaghetti wrote:

> Mike Romain wrote:
> > Masospaghetti wrote:
> >

> >>Great, I will try this. Thanks for the advice. (You did mean a 12-volt
> >>electronic, right?)

> > Yes.
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

> Welllllll, I tried an electronic 12 volt flasher as well as a thermal
> one with no luck.
>
> Any other ideas, or will I need a 6-volt?

Take the 12v thermal apart and remove about 1/2 of the nichrome resistance
wire from around the bimetallic switch.
The electronic one _maybe_ runs on 5 volts. You will have to take
it apart and see.
Old June 9th 05, 02:02 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:05:09 GMT, Mike Walsh >
wrote:

>In a turn signal flasher the heating element is in series with the (normal closed) switch and bulbs. The resistance of the heating element is low compared to the resistance of the bulbs and the speed of the flash depends on the current. Since 6 volt bulbs draw more current than 12 volt bulbs you will need a 3 or 4 bulb 12 volt flasher to work properly with 2 6 volt bulbs.
>In a hazard flasher the heating element is in parallel with the (normal open) switch, and are in series with the bulbs. The resistance of the heating element is high compared to the bulbs and depends on voltage. A 12 volt hazard flasher will not work in a 6 volt system.

Are hazard and turn flashers separate items in a conventional,
non-electronic system? I still want to place a louder clicker in my
mother's Renault Kangoo, but after perusal of the ETAI (that'd be the
french version of Haynes, or thereabouts, possibly a bit better quality)
manual, it appears that both hazard and turn signals are done by a single
flasher. The hazard switch merely connects both left and right sets of 3
lights to the output of the flasher (and it also switches the input of the
flasher from keyswitch to always-on, cleverly), while the turn signal does
one. The flasher is represented in the schematic as being an electronic
block wave generator that drives a relay, and according to the placement
schematic fits a standard relay housing (which may or may not be
pin-compatible with standard -- it probably is).

Jasper

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
Flush Radiator - Opinions Richard Saturn 7 April 4th 05 04:59 PM
2002 L300 Wagon 37000 miles Ed Saturn 9 January 6th 05 01:16 PM
C5 problems (98 in particular) radar Corvette 12 January 3rd 05 10:04 PM