90 LeBaron Intermittent Complete Electrical Failure on Startup

Old July 30th 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
FredLebaron

Default 90 LeBaron Intermittent Complete Electrical Failure on Startup

This just happened twice today - no prior warning. On turning key, instr
lights show, but when go to start, there is a "clunk" and *all* power
goes off (even wipes the radio settings). I open the door and the power
comes back on. Car starts normally. I shut down 3 minutes later (after
checking under the hood to see if anything looks loose or is sparking,
etc. - all normal looking).

Try to start again. No "clunk" but also no power. Opening door has no
effect - I think that was a coincidence. Try a few more times to turn
the key and and the third try I get instr lights and the car starts
normally. I run an errand, leaving car running for 20 minutes. Come back
and shut down.

Is there a master relay or control module that would allow such a total
failure? Is it possibly the ign switch? I saw no check light when the
car was running.

Thanks!

--
FredLebaron
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old July 30th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Daniel who wants to know

"FredLebaron" > wrote in message

> This just happened twice today - no prior warning. On turning key, instr
> lights show, but when go to start, there is a "clunk" and *all* power
> goes off (even wipes the radio settings). I open the door and the power
> comes back on. Car starts normally. I shut down 3 minutes later (after
> checking under the hood to see if anything looks loose or is sparking,
> etc. - all normal looking).
>
> Try to start again. No "clunk" but also no power. Opening door has no
> effect - I think that was a coincidence. Try a few more times to turn
> the key and and the third try I get instr lights and the car starts
> normally. I run an errand, leaving car running for 20 minutes. Come back
> and shut down.
>
> Is there a master relay or control module that would allow such a total
> failure? Is it possibly the ign switch? I saw no check light when the
> car was running.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> FredLebaron
> Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Sounds like corroded battery terminals (posts/clamps) to me, but there are
also 2 big inline connectors on the battery positive wires, one goes to the
alternator and the other feeds power to the whole car.

Old July 30th 11, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_24_]

check your connections at the starter

Old July 31st 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

"FredLebaron" > wrote in message

> This just happened twice today - no prior warning. On turning key, instr
> lights show, but when go to start, there is a "clunk" and *all* power
> goes off (even wipes the radio settings). I open the door and the power
> comes back on. Car starts normally. I shut down 3 minutes later (after
> checking under the hood to see if anything looks loose or is sparking,
> etc. - all normal looking).
>
> Try to start again. No "clunk" but also no power. Opening door has no
> effect - I think that was a coincidence. Try a few more times to turn
> the key and and the third try I get instr lights and the car starts
> normally. I run an errand, leaving car running for 20 minutes. Come back
> and shut down.
>
> Is there a master relay or control module that would allow such a total
> failure? Is it possibly the ign switch? I saw no check light when the
> car was running.
>
> Thanks!

first check is battery thermals for corrosion.

Second is an intermittent loss of the heavy ground to the starter/engine
block. To test take a decent set of jump cables and jump from the negative
term of the battery to the engine block. If that works you've lost your
engine block ground. Two option case down the cable to the starter or
simply jump from the negative term to the engine block. I did this with one
of my daughter's friends PU 10 years back and it's still ticking.