windshield replacement questions

Old August 7th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_20_]

Default windshield replacement questions

Our '99 Cavalier needs a new windshield to pass NYS inspection. It's
been a long time (20 yrs?) since I've had to replace a windshield, and
I've forgotten most of that. So, ..

- Is this a "don't try it at home" thing? (By way of experience, I've
always done all the work on my cars. Other than tires, that is.)

- If I was to do the windshield myself, ... on this car, the glass is
supported in what looks like a plastic gasket. Does this 'gasket' have
a name? Does it come with the replacement glass, or is it a separate
part?

- Again, assuming I did try to do it myself, are there any particular
'gotchas' to watch for?

Thanks,
George
Old August 7th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

George wrote:
> Our '99 Cavalier needs a new windshield to pass NYS inspection. It's
> been a long time (20 yrs?) since I've had to replace a windshield, and
> I've forgotten most of that. So, ..
>
> - Is this a "don't try it at home" thing? (By way of experience, I've
> always done all the work on my cars. Other than tires, that is.)
>
> - If I was to do the windshield myself, ... on this car, the glass is
> supported in what looks like a plastic gasket. Does this 'gasket' have
> a name? Does it come with the replacement glass, or is it a separate
> part?
>
> - Again, assuming I did try to do it myself, are there any particular
> 'gotchas' to watch for?
>
> Thanks,
> George

Not really worth it to replace glass as a DIY item any longer.
Especially if you have airbags. The old glass gets cut free and the new
glass and trim gets glued back in with a special urethane adhesive.
However with the price of the adhesive and the new glass it is only
about 25-50 dollars more for them to replace it. Then you get a warranty
and don't have the aggravation either.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!
Old August 7th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

A friend of mine said he needed a windshield once. He went to a "pick
a part" place. Apparently you can remove a windshield with piano wire.
I am not sure how the whole thing worked out. Not very well, I
suspect. Anyway I think I would use the telephone book and the phone,
and call phone around to get the best price. Yes, this is a don't try
this at home thing, at least for me.
Old August 7th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Steve Austin wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> Our '99 Cavalier needs a new windshield to pass NYS inspection. It's
>> been a long time (20 yrs?) since I've had to replace a windshield, and
>> I've forgotten most of that. So, ..
>>
>> - Is this a "don't try it at home" thing? (By way of experience, I've
>> always done all the work on my cars. Other than tires, that is.)
>>
>> - If I was to do the windshield myself, ... on this car, the glass is
>> supported in what looks like a plastic gasket. Does this 'gasket' have
>> a name? Does it come with the replacement glass, or is it a separate
>> part?
>>
>> - Again, assuming I did try to do it myself, are there any particular
>> 'gotchas' to watch for?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> George

> An installer can sell you an installed windshield cheaper than you can
> buy it.

eh, you can probably get an old-school (floats in a rubber gasket)
windshield from a junkyard for about 1/2 the installed price of a new
one. However, I suspect a '99 MY car will have a glued in windshield
making sucking it up and paying the installer your best bet, unless
you're really handy.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old August 8th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

Old August 8th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Steve Austin wrote:
>> George wrote:
>>
>>> Our '99 Cavalier needs a new windshield to pass NYS inspection. It's
>>> been a long time (20 yrs?) since I've had to replace a windshield, and
>>> I've forgotten most of that. So, ..
>>>
>>> - Is this a "don't try it at home" thing? (By way of experience, I've
>>> always done all the work on my cars. Other than tires, that is.)
>>>
>>> - If I was to do the windshield myself, ... on this car, the glass is
>>> supported in what looks like a plastic gasket. Does this 'gasket' have
>>> a name? Does it come with the replacement glass, or is it a separate
>>> part?
>>>
>>> - Again, assuming I did try to do it myself, are there any particular
>>> 'gotchas' to watch for?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> George

>> An installer can sell you an installed windshield cheaper than you can
>> buy it.

> eh, you can probably get an old-school (floats in a rubber gasket)
> windshield from a junkyard for about 1/2 the installed price of a new
> one. However, I suspect a '99 MY car will have a glued in windshield
> making sucking it up and paying the installer your best bet, unless
> you're really handy.
>
> nate

I didn't even consider junkyard glass. Looking at the world through a
new windshield is so sweet.
Old August 8th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
zzyzzx

> I didn't even consider junkyard glass. *Looking at the world through a
> new windshield is so sweet.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. I've had windshields replaced only because of pitting.

I would not attempt to do a windshield because the windshield itself
(OEM Carlite) for my Escort is only about $100, and installed it was
$205. That was 2 years ago at Royal Auto Glass in the DC area.
Old August 8th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Aug 8, 9:10*am, Steve Austin > wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
> > Steve Austin wrote:

> >> An installer can sell you an installed windshield cheaper than you can
> >> buy it.

> > eh, you can probably get an old-school (floats in a rubber gasket)
> > windshield from a junkyard for about 1/2 the installed price of a new
> > one. *However, I suspect a '99 MY car will have a glued in windshield
> > making sucking it up and paying the installer your best bet, unless
> > you're really handy.

> > nate

> I didn't even consider junkyard glass. *Looking at the world through a
> new windshield is so sweet.

Agreed, but when I freshened up my '62 Stude new glass was not
available for it, so I got some OJT on installing a windsheild.
(screwed up the first install, too - it cracked within a week.
Wraparound windshields are a PITA.) If one is on an extreme budget
and/or has a car for which new glass is not available and the vehicle
uses a traditional gasket, DIY replacement *is* an option.

mate
Old August 9th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

George > wrote in
:

> Our '99 Cavalier needs a new windshield to pass NYS inspection. It's
> been a long time (20 yrs?) since I've had to replace a windshield, and
> I've forgotten most of that. So, ..
>
> - Is this a "don't try it at home" thing? (By way of experience, I've
> always done all the work on my cars. Other than tires, that is.)
>
> - If I was to do the windshield myself, ... on this car, the glass is
> supported in what looks like a plastic gasket. Does this 'gasket' have
> a name? Does it come with the replacement glass, or is it a separate
> part?
>
> - Again, assuming I did try to do it myself, are there any particular
> 'gotchas' to watch for?

Don't even think about doing this yourself.

This windshield is bonded in and is a structural part of the car. Mess this
up and you can expect -- in addition to water leaks and wind noise --
cracked glass and/or poor adhesion.

Pay the pros and save big bucks NOT fixing problems afterwards. Unless
you're REALLY adventurous, that is...

--
Tegger

Old August 9th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_20_]

:

>> Our '99 Cavalier needs a new windshield to pass NYS inspection. It's
>> been a long time (20 yrs?) since I've had to replace a windshield, and
>> I've forgotten most of that. So, ..
>>
>> - Is this a "don't try it at home" thing? (By way of experience, I've
>> always done all the work on my cars. Other than tires, that is.)
>>
>> - If I was to do the windshield myself, ... on this car, the glass is
>> supported in what looks like a plastic gasket. Does this 'gasket' have
>> a name? Does it come with the replacement glass, or is it a separate
>> part?
>>
>> - Again, assuming I did try to do it myself, are there any particular
>> 'gotchas' to watch for?
>>

>Don't even think about doing this yourself.
>
>This windshield is bonded in and is a structural part of the car. Mess this
>up and you can expect -- in addition to water leaks and wind noise --
>cracked glass and/or poor adhesion.
>
>Pay the pros and save big bucks NOT fixing problems afterwards. Unless
>you're REALLY adventurous, that is...

Thanks. That's the sort of thing I was concerned about. I'll just
assume you know whereof you speak ... 'cause, who ever heard of bad
advice on the internet.