midrange octane fuel

Old August 8th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

Default midrange octane fuel

you know, the stuff that's not regular, not premium.
anybody buy this stuff?
Old August 9th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:47:09 -0700 (PDT), z >
wrote:

>you know, the stuff that's not regular, not premium.
>anybody buy this stuff?

I don't myself, always having engines that only require regular, but
there must be plenty of buyers or it wouldn't be for sale most
everywhere.

Pete
Old August 9th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kruse

On Aug 8, 4:47 pm, z > wrote:
> you know, the stuff that's not regular, not premium.
> anybody buy this stuff?

Here in the midwest, most of the mid-range gas is 10% alcohol. (It's
corn country) Mid-range is usually 3 to 10 cents cheaper because they
don't put on as much road tax per gallon as regular gas. Most of the
no-name stores have 89 octane that has alcohol, but a few of the name-
brand chains (like BP) do not.

It all depends on what car I'm adding gas to. I have a 4.0 Aerostar
that is notorious for detonation (yea, I need to clean the carbon out
of the combustion chambers) that I sometimes put in 10%, but my other
daily drivers get 87 octane.

My 71 Cougar needs 93 octane.
Old August 9th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 01:16:19 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

wrote in news:489cecfa.331411937
:

>> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:47:09 -0700 (PDT), z >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>you know, the stuff that's not regular, not premium.
>>>anybody buy this stuff?

>> I don't myself, always having engines that only require regular, but
>> there must be plenty of buyers or it wouldn't be for sale most
>> everywhere.
>>

>Or it costs little to sell and helps create a marketing gap between high
>and low priced gas...
>
>If I come across a station that's having its tanks filled, I ask the truck
>driver which tanks he's filling (I'm weird). The answer is always
>"premium" or "regular" (usually "regular"). NEVER has any driver EVER said
>"mid-grade". This leads me to suspect that "mid-grade" is just a blend from
>the two other tanks. I should specifically ask next time...
>

>--
>Tegger

Reportedly, the octane rating for a mix of two octane ratings is
proportional -- IOW, 1/2 tank of 87 plus 1/ tank of 89 equals one tank
of 88.

Pete
Old August 10th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Steve W." > wrote in :

> Tegger wrote:
>> wrote in news:489cecfa.331411937
>> @news.astraweb.com:

>>> I don't myself, always having engines that only require regular, but
>>> there must be plenty of buyers or it wouldn't be for sale most
>>> everywhere.
>>>

>> Or it costs little to sell and helps create a marketing gap between
>> high and low priced gas...
>>
>> If I come across a station that's having its tanks filled, I ask the
>> truck driver which tanks he's filling (I'm weird). The answer is
>> always "premium" or "regular" (usually "regular"). NEVER has any
>> driver EVER said "mid-grade". This leads me to suspect that
>> "mid-grade" is just a blend from the two other tanks. I should
>> specifically ask next time...
>>

> Yep, mid grade is a blend of high/low done right in the pump.
>
> FYI DON'T buy gas if the tanks have just been or are in the process of
> being filled. It's a good way to get a load of dirt/water in your
> tank!

There is a station in the next town from me that has its tanks refilled at
least twice a day. It's next to a major highway, so its volume is enormous.
I suspect this station's gas doesn't sit long enough to allow any water
accumulate in the first place.

--
Tegger

Old August 10th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Tegger wrote:
> "Steve W." > wrote in :
>
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> wrote in news:489cecfa.331411937
>>> @news.astraweb.com:

>>> Or it costs little to sell and helps create a marketing gap between
>>> high and low priced gas...
>>>
>>> If I come across a station that's having its tanks filled, I ask the
>>> truck driver which tanks he's filling (I'm weird). The answer is
>>> always "premium" or "regular" (usually "regular"). NEVER has any
>>> driver EVER said "mid-grade". This leads me to suspect that
>>> "mid-grade" is just a blend from the two other tanks. I should
>>> specifically ask next time...
>>>

>> Yep, mid grade is a blend of high/low done right in the pump.
>>
>> FYI DON'T buy gas if the tanks have just been or are in the process of
>> being filled. It's a good way to get a load of dirt/water in your
>> tank!
>>

> There is a station in the next town from me that has its tanks refilled at
> least twice a day. It's next to a major highway, so its volume is enormous.
> I suspect this station's gas doesn't sit long enough to allow any water
> accumulate in the first place.

I still would try to time it between the dumps. I've seen many cases of
plugged filters and crappy performance due to bad gas issues.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old August 10th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 8, 3:47*pm, z > wrote:
> you know, the stuff that's not regular, not premium.
> anybody buy this stuff?

Yes, I did one time when for some strange reason it was cheaper than
regular. The only thing wrong with using a higher octane than needed
is that it is a waste of money (ordinarily). If it is, under funny
situations, cheaper than regular, go for it.