Auto Paint Query

Old July 29th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mercellus Bohren

Default Auto Paint Query

On Jul 29, 5:08*pm, Doug Miller > wrote:
> In article <08cce828-7f90-4844-9f89-04349aa99d56
> @m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, says...
>
> > I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood.
> > What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I
> > really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've
> > searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix
> > on the dollars.

> Had you thought about picking up the phone and calling a couple of body
> shops and actually asking??

I am hearing impaired and like to use the internet newsgroups if
possible, before I go in and have someone take advantage of my
disability.
Old July 29th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Mercellus Bohren" > wrote in message
On Jul 29, 4:57 pm, "PanHandler" > wrote:
> "Mercellus Bohren" > wrote in message

> I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood.
> What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I
> really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've
> searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix
> on the dollars.
>
> Figure six hours at local labor rates plus around $40 in materials to do
> the
> entire hood.

Looks to be $40-45 an hour around these parts. So, maybe around $300.

Do you know if they can take a swipe at touching up small areas on the
side of the car, without having to paint an entire door, or quarter-
panel, etc.?

Same likelihood as the hood I would imagine.

Old July 30th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
David L. Martel

Mercellus,

Your State probably offers special telephone apparatus for the hearing
impaired. Or you could fax or e-mail your query.

Dave M.

Old July 30th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
lein[_2_]

On Jul 29, 2:35*pm, Mercellus Bohren > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 4:29*pm, "NapalmHeart" > wrote:
>

> > "Mercellus Bohren" > wrote in message

> > > I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the
> > > road
> > > pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near
> > > the
> > > headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on
> > > the paint
> > > color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my
> > > usage, because
> > > now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious
> > > touch-up paint
> > > swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or
> > > bonnet for you
> > > brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots
> > > that look
> > > funny.

> > > A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can
> > > I have them
> > > just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the
> > > whole car? How
> > > much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

> > > Thanks for any useful information.

> > They should be able to just fix your mess. *At the worst
> > they would repaint the hood.

> > Ken

> I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood.
> What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I
> really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've
> searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix
> on the dollars.

Why don't you just buy a can of flat-black spray paint and use it to
paint the hood. If your wife says anything, tell her you did this to
reduce sun glare.
Old July 30th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Mercellus Bohren
> wrote:

>I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
>pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
>headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
>color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
>now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
>swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
>brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
>funny.
>
>A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
>just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
>much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?
>
>Thanks for any useful information.

I've had good luck with this product on touch up paint spots on my
RX-7:

http://www.langka.com/
Old July 30th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Edward M. Kennedy[_2_]

"Tegger" > wrote

>>> Had you thought about picking up the phone and calling a couple of body
>>> shops and actually asking??

>> I am hearing impaired and like to use the internet newsgroups if
>> possible, before I go in and have someone take advantage of my
>> disability.

> Just how "hearing impaired" are you"?

He can hear a fly landing on a babbling brook.

--Tedward

Old July 30th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
KLS

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:15:41 -0700 (PDT), Mercellus Bohren
> wrote:

>I am hearing impaired and like to use the internet newsgroups if
>possible, before I go in and have someone take advantage of my
>disability.

Mercellus, I am totally sympathetic to this, but the bottom line is
that you need to get local prices for this work, which presumably you
will be getting done locally. My suggestion, as someone intimately
familiar with your circumstances, is to get local prices from several
body shops and then post back here with your results to see how they
might compare. Make sure they are truly comparable (how many hours of
labor, etc.).

Even better would be to ask friends and colleagues whom they've used
for similar work, especially if they were happy with the businesses
years after the work was done.

Your quest is a lot easier than mine: I'm getting prices for a
driveway resurfacing job, and I'm having a hard time determining which
contractors are reliable (this particular line of business is like
roofing: full of disreputable characters). JoeSpareBedroom: can you
tell me if Tumia Paving is a reliable business? I am avoiding Tandoi
based on a couple of suggestions, but I can find nothing on Tumia, and
I don't want to be seduced by the nice older couple that came over to
give their price last night....
Old July 30th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Tegger

KLS > wrote in news:3kdv84la7reqit06ka3kplnuldhfn18261@
4ax.com:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:15:41 -0700 (PDT), Mercellus Bohren
> > wrote:
>
>>I am hearing impaired and like to use the internet newsgroups if
>>possible, before I go in and have someone take advantage of my
>>disability.

> Mercellus, I am totally sympathetic to this,

Don't be. At least not until he gives some sort of details
about his "impairment".

--
Tegger

faded paint query Art McGinn Mazda 7 December 27th 06 04:06 PM
Query 98 auto to manual conversion Ian & Joc Byrd Mazda 2 December 14th 05 01:36 AM
auto paint touch up kit Coltech Corvette 0 July 7th 05 01:14 PM
auto paint touch up kit Coltech BMW 0 July 7th 05 01:14 PM
auto paint touch up kit Coltech Audi 0 July 7th 05 01:14 PM