TJ98 Electrical Fault

Old May 11th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default TJ98 Electrical Fault

Lo Jeeps,

Trying to get a handle on a "intermittent" electrical fault on
starting my 98 TJ Wrangler. From cold she starts but the Radio,
windscreen wippers and indicators are dead, more interesting if I turn
off the engine and put the key in the its first position they all
work. With persistantance or time running the electrical fault goes
away.

I've checked the fuses and the obvious wires (steering column) but no
joy.

I don't suppose anyone has seen anything similar?

Thanks in advance.
In the land of the blind the one eyed man would be king.

Old May 11th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Maybe the recall or maybe a bad ignition switch.

Here is the recall info:

Recall 99V117000: Instrument Panel Ground Screws Loose

The left side and right side instrument panel wiring ground attachment
screws could loosen over time. If the left side screw loosens, the
instrument panel gauges may not function when the headlamps are turned
on. If the right side screw loosens, the defroster blower motor may
not function.

Dealers will remove the ground screws, drill a new pilot hole adjacent
to the original hole, and the screws will be reinstalled in the new
holes.

Owner notification began May 31, 1999. Owners who take their vehicles
to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not
receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact
Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997. Also contact the National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT
(1-888-327-4236).

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 11th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

probably need an ignition switch cheap and easy fix